#1 pen-deco

pen-deco

journeyman

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:23 AM

gallery_81908_429_29486.jpg

Attached Files

Edited by pen_deco, 11 September 2014 - 12:47 AM.

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 10 September 2014 - 03:49 AM

Yep. With a couple signs of being very early in the run. Kudos to those who can ID...

regards

d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 pen-deco

pen-deco

journeyman

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:13 AM

Yep. With a couple signs of being very early in the run. Kudos to those who can ID...

regards

d

Many thanks to you, David!

#4 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:07 PM

The plain arrow clip is the most obvious sign of being early. And maybe the pencil still has a chunky shape and is 1.1mm?

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 10 September 2014 - 04:53 PM

The plain arrow clip is the most obvious sign of being early. And maybe the pencil still has a chunky shape and is 1.1mm?

More...

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#6 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:06 PM

Is it the taller tassie?  Lack of vertical line in the chevron band?

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:18 PM

Excellent.

For the longest time, I had worried about being forever the youngest Very Serious Vac Collector. Good to see-- how did that movie say it (?)--  there is another. ;)

So, peek  at the butt end of the pen  and notice a triple-stack tassie. That tends to appear with the earliest of Majors and Slender Maximas, often associating with the vaunted "Vac-band", the cap-band containing  "Parker Vacumatic".

The  cap-band's pattern is ///\\\///      \\\////    with the cartouche for engraving surrounded by angled lines. Later cap-bands have vertical lines at the edges  ///\\\\///|       |\\\///\\\

Now it can get a bit tricky with Slender Max caps as I have suspicion that-- perhaps due to slow sales-- caps lingered at the plant, used with later barrel date code imprints than we find for Senior Maxima and Major.

Still, the triple stack tassie is a prime marker for great earliness.  I would not be surprised if the date code on barrel is 27 or 37.

I am overdue to review many pens to refresh myself as to when I believe in general the bracketed cartouche appeared, though I doubt before late 1938.

Note to Pen-Deco. Do explore our GALLERY. Uploading pics to each post maxes out at 500kb.  GALLERY (best opened in second tab) allows massive storage. Images can then be pasted (via copying/pasting the 1 line BBC code from the SHARE OPTION in GALLERY) into any post at any time, full size.

Bonus Points: Besides early-ish (mid to mid-late 1937) Major and Slender Maxima, on what can one find that funky triple stack tassie?

regards

David

Posted Image

#8 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:29 PM

Bonus Points: Besides early-ish (mid to mid-late 1937) Major and Slender Maxima, on what can one find that funky triple stack tassie?

I believe that would be the thermometer cases.  Unfortunately, I'm in need of one...

#9 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:29 PM

I believe that would be the thermometer cases.  Unfortunately, I'm in need of one...

Oh hell, I have spare Thermos...

Good on you for knowing the answer.

-d

Posted Image

#10 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:33 PM

Oh hell, I have spare Thermos...

Good on you for knowing the answer.

-d

Oh I don't need the whole thermometer case.  Just the tassie...

#11 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 10 September 2014 - 06:51 PM

Oh I don't need the whole thermometer case.  Just the tassie...

That will be tougher.

-d

Posted Image

#12 pen-deco

pen-deco

journeyman

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:35 AM

Note to Pen-Deco. Do explore our GALLERY. Uploading pics to each post maxes out at 500kb.  GALLERY (best opened in second tab) allows massive storage. Images can then be pasted (via copying/pasting the 1 line BBC code from the SHARE OPTION in GALLERY) into any post at any time, full size.

regards

David

That's really good to know. Thanks David.

Question. Did "Slender Maximas" exist before Parker had/called pens "Major"? I know some Slen Max's and Majors would have been interchangeable, but would this be the case with an earlier Slender Maxima?

I am pretty sure the earlier slender maximas were not interchangeable, but just clarifying.

Edited by pen_deco, 11 September 2014 - 12:36 AM.

#13 pen-deco

pen-deco

journeyman

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:39 AM

Now it can get a bit tricky with Slender Max caps as I have suspicion that-- perhaps due to slow sales-- caps lingered at the plant, used with later barrel date code imprints than we find for Senior Maxima and Major.

Still, the triple stack tassie is a prime marker for great earliness.  I would not be surprised if the date code on barrel is 27 or 37.

I am not with my pens tonight, but will let you know. I'm 95% sure you're right on the money.

-PD

#14 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:43 AM

regards

David

Question. Did "Slender Maximas" exist before Parker had/called pens "Major"? I know some Slen Max's and Majors would have been interchangeable, but would this be the case with an earlier Slender Maxima?

I am pretty sure the earlier slender maximas were not interchangeable, but just clarifying.

Hi,

Slender Maxima and Major never are interchangeable, save in some cases for barrel alone, though some parts are size-compatible.

Three long-blindcap models were intro'd together in 1937.  Speedline Major, Speedline Maxima (Slender Maxima) and Senior Maxima.  Even if one prefers not to include "Speedline" as part of the earliest names for the three models, we have Major, Maxima and Senior Maxima.

Maxima eventually was renamed Slender Maxima

More problematic, Senior Maxima eventually was renamed just Maxima.

So,  "Maxima" can represent two different pens depending on year of issue.  It is best thus to use Major, Slender Maxima, and Senior Maxima for the three models, independent of date-code on pen.

regards

david

Posted Image

#15 pen-deco

pen-deco

journeyman

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:45 AM

regards

David

Hi,

Slender Maxima and Major never are interchangeable, save in some cases for barrel alone, though some parts are size-compatible.

Three long-blindcap models were intro'd together in 1937.  Speedline Major, Speedline Maxima (Slender Maxima) and Senior Maxima.  Even if one prefers not to include "Speedline" as part of the earliest names for the three models, we have Major, Maxima and Senior Maxima.

Maxima eventually was renamed Slender Maxima

More problematic, Senior Maxima eventually was renamed just Maxima.

So,  "Maxima" can represent two different pens depending on year of issue.  It is best thus to use Major, Slender Maxima, and Senior Maxima for the three models, independent of date-code on pen.

regards

david

Ok, that makes more sense. Thank you. I shouldn't have used interchangeable, but size capable is a better way to put it.

Edited by pen_deco, 11 September 2014 - 12:48 AM.

#16 pen-deco

pen-deco

journeyman

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:46 AM

gallery_81908_429_29486.jpg

#17 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 11 September 2014 - 12:49 AM

Another GALLERY success story :)

-d

Posted Image

#18 pen-deco

pen-deco

journeyman

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:17 AM

Ok. Took a few shots. David is on the money with a 37 DC.

gallery_81908_432_57430.jpg

gallery_81908_432_92257.jpg

gallery_81908_432_100853.jpg

Edited by pen_deco, 12 September 2014 - 01:19 AM.

#19 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:22 AM

Vac collecting is fun :)

-d

Posted Image

#20 pen-deco

pen-deco

journeyman

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:48 AM

Great fun.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users