• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pen-deco

pen-deco

journeyman

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 03:35 AM

I pulled the trigger on a pen on eBay this morning. Spur of the moment, take a chance, and sometimes you find gems on eBay.

We'll see when it arrives.

Here's a few of the sellers' pics:

gallery_81908_437_108460.jpg

gallery_81908_437_116681.jpg

gallery_81908_437_75480.jpg

I think I can see something of an imprint on the blind cap. Possibly a high imprint on the cap.

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 27 September 2014 - 03:52 AM

It has a butt Imprint. You done good, son.

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:22 AM

Okay...how much was this BIN whim? ...because it looks pretty good !! I snap up the odd BIN that looks to be in my field, most have been good as well. There are some surprisingly good bargains to be had every so often.

Regards

Hugh

Hugh Cordingley

#4 pen-deco

pen-deco

journeyman

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:50 AM

Okay...how much was this BIN whim? ...because it looks pretty good !! I snap up the odd BIN that looks to be in my field, most have been good as well. There are some surprisingly good bargains to be had every so often.

Regards

Hugh

It wasn't dirt cheap; 75% off... if it turns out to be a 1st year and there aren't any cracks, or major damage.

#5 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:04 PM

BIN can be rewarding if you have a good idea what you are buying. What can look expensive to an average punter may be well worth it if you happen to know it is rare, though that is not so much 'taking a chance'. 

Possibly my best ever ebay purchase was a BIN which came up early one New Year's day morning about 12 years ago, when all other punters must still have been asleep!

Andy

#6 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:33 PM

Andy, you stop calling me a punter, right now!!

;)

I always was, and still am, careful on BIN purchases, but since I've only been in the pen world for about 4 years, that's understandable. What I can say is that I've learned so much from both sites like this one, all of the generous people involved in this interest, and a number of good books, that it has given me a bit more to go on when I see something and think "hey, that looks intriguing". And now I gauge relative value vs. condition, how much information a poor photo hides, and all that. I don't go nuts unless I'm pretty darn certain, but I've done ok, and not gotten terribly burned.

It's actually a different kind of fun, waiting to see if that 'hidden gem' really turns out to be one... or a dog! :)

#7 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:49 AM

Would you prefer "gambler" , "high roller" or "educated risk taker" now you've graduated past "punter" ? :D

Regards

Hugh

Hugh Cordingley

#8 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 07:48 AM

Would you prefer "gambler" , "high roller" or "educated risk taker" now you've graduated past "punter" ? :D

Bleeding idiot would probably sum it up nicely. ;)

Seriously though, today was a perfect example of having learned a few things: on two separate occasions, about an hour or so apart, I hopped on a new BIN listing - one, because it was a way underpriced pen that I know people want, and I can get it to them without the hunt on their part, and the 2nd was a cute little Wahl "Bantam" for $25. I simply couldn't pass it up, and the pics were good enough to tell me that the condition was at least as good as the price.

BAM!

Edited by JonSzanto, 28 September 2014 - 07:49 AM.

#9 pen-deco

pen-deco

journeyman

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:20 PM

Received the pen today and very pleased with the correct markings and aluminum speedline filler as I had hoped.

1941 P51. I will post more when I get a new diaphragm in and get it writing.

gallery_81908_439_270408.jpg

gallery_81908_439_157834.jpg

gallery_81908_439_265747.jpg

gallery_81908_439_263687.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users