2 replies to this topic

#1 RickB

RickB

journeyman

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 01 October 2015 - 12:16 PM

I thought I'd share for enjoyment, comment as well as my own edification two Victory like-pens I've been lucky enough to get hold of this year.

First you'll note both have the MK I Victory style and dimensions, but with two Televisor plastic examples.  By way of comparison I've laid them in alongside the more common "candystripe" variations.  Here are the observed details:

- the Burgundy variety has unfortunately been polished to the point that the imprint is no longer available.  The Nib imprint is of the "Parker Duofold Canada B" variety.  Graham J. was kind of enough to spend several minutes looking at it with a very powerful loupe in DC and found vestiges of a "D" so this is in fact not "Victory" but "Duofold." (and something he's seen before).

- the Gray variety has the expected Parker Victory imprint and Newhaven nib

And what is interesting (from what I've gleaned here and elsewhere) is that essentially what you're looking at is two examples of a plastic they were phasing out (from the Televisors at least) in the mid to late 30s showing up in the early 40s Victory (and Victory like) designs.

gallery_12868_251_615219.jpg

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 01 October 2015 - 01:33 PM

Hi,

Great pens. Thanks for sharing. Note that really there are two different patterns showing. The three pens at left are different from the two at right. At right more defined lines. No transparency. The three at left show up in some rare Parker Vacumatics assembled from Canadian metal probably with British plastic.  The plastic at right appears here and there:  Parker Televisor, some Moores, Conways, and others.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 RickB

RickB

journeyman

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 01 October 2015 - 11:47 PM

Yes, I had forgotten all about those CS pens! And now that you mention it, it occurs to me they shared the pearl-and-ebony plastic too.  So this pattern was definitely around a LONG time on both sides of the Atlantic.

I think it would be best if I try and suppress any memory of the existence of candy striped vacumatics as you describe.  I'm finding it hard enough to resist the pull of the all the British plastic in just one variety...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users