Photo

Gold-filled Pen Booty from the Philadelphia 2011 Pen Show.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:22 PM

One must buy pens if he is to have pens to sell. During the last year I've been lucky to find a fair number of moderate to large size pen collections. At the Philadelphia show this year (January 2011), a fellow I've met each year at the show, who offers some nice pen storage items, had some old pens with him. After I bought that scarce clutch-cap 1940's Parker Duofold (seen in another thread) and a reverse trim full girth black Sheaffer (chrome trim on black, Canadian, undocumented in USA catalogues), I asked if he had more pens. He offered to show me a folder of pens with gold tone finish. The collection was quite nice, and I inquired about a Parker 65, a pen I don't see too often, this one done in a nice grid finish i've not seen before.

I was told that he was hesitant to pull a pen out of the group, as the cluster was appealing to him in its entirety.

I didn't miss a beat, "OK, then, how much for the whole thing?"

After a pregnant pause, I added that I in fact was serious. Hey, one never can have too many nice pens, right?

A price was quoted. Cash exchanged hands.

Here are the pens, Sheaffer Targa, Parker 61, 65,75 and more.

The pen marked by the exclamation point below?? I don't know what is that one. A short thin Parker that looks to me bit like some of the English Lady Duofold pens that have hooded nib like a Parker 51. Any help would be appreciated on ID'ing it :)

Posted Image

The other half of the pen case is nice, too.

Posted Image

As we were wrapping up, he mentioned that he had one more pen of this sort, but that it was only half gold-filled.

You might recognize it, below. ;)

What could I do? I bought it too Posted Image

Posted Image

The message remains my usual.

It pays to get out from behind the computer and get out to the pen shows.

Thanks for peeking

Regards

David

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationManila/Virginia/San Diego

Posted 02 February 2011 - 01:59 PM

i'm guessing that if you add up all the other pens, they'd come up to the value of the imperial ;)
Check out my pens here and my blog here.

#3 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:52 PM

Lol... Rick shakes his head... What's amazing is I was sitting with David, having show and tell, and this stuff literally fell in his lap. This guy has all the luck. But he is right, if you have not, get to a pen show!!!! There are enough of them, and spread out enough, there is one close, if you are in the US anyway. Really great pens come out of the woodwork...

#4 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:55 PM

Little gold pen w/ exclamation mark:

David, is it English? Take a look at Tony Fischier's pages on both the English Duofold and Parker 17. The 17 has the hooded nib. No picture of your pen, but he says the 17 was intro'd in 1962 as a less expensive version of the Duofold in injection-molded plastic and gained the hooded nib in 1964. The shorter (no length given) Lady 17 Insignia was intro'd in 1967 with rolled gold cap and barrel, black section and, in 1968, a 45-style clip.

#5 pulga69

pulga69

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSurrey, UK

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:24 PM

Lady 17 Insignia was intro'd in 1967

That`ll be my guess too, and hello to all here ! :)
I just got one on Ebay for about $30 in beautiful condition, nice little pen indeed ! congrats on the hoard Dr. I !
One lfe, one chance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users