#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 13 July 2010 - 12:35 AM

Posted this too on Zoss.

Well, I just acquired (from the relative "wild", yet!) what arguably is the most significant Wahl out there. Certainly in the top few. Perhaps it is "easier" to find an "ultimate" Wahl since Wahl started after the fancy overlay ED period that gave us Snakes and Native American overlay pens ;)

Yah, I know... too, such things are subjective and nuanced. How rare is rare? What do folks like in the first place? Is some uber-nuanced variant of a ladies ringtop found for first time more "key" than a "common" mint stickered Decoband Rosewood? Is solid gold better than plastic when it comes to desirability and demand? Does a quirk of an export model carry same gravitas as a pen made under home rules? Does it all matter? Idunno.

Thought I'd poll the scene as to what you consider the "best" Wahl out there, based on catalogued, recognized uncatalogued, speculated-upon variants, etc. Then I can decide if this monster is as signficant as I contend ;)

Will likely show the pen off in about two weeks, when have time to shoot it properly. I paid a fair price, but am on cloud nine (and I say that as one who has handled and shot 6000+ of the great pens and who owns a few nice ones too). Sort of nice to know that after all this time, I can still get a great high from finding a nice pen.

So... in your view, what's the BEST WAHL OUT THERE???

thanks

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 George

George

journeyman

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:23 AM

David,

I have been thinking about your message all day and I came up with some possibilities (three to be exact):

Coral Decoband

Full size bumblebee

Decoband flamingo

If it is not any of those, then I have no clue...

Regards,
George

#3 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:06 AM

lol....

I would be hard pressed to determine what the best Wahl out there is...

I know they made a few experimental colors, I think they made one in a pearl with blue veins, if memory serves correct, but for me, it would have to be oversized, and unbelievable color, likely a color never "really" offered, something like a model shop or experimental pen.

I am just not that much into Wahls, I find the way they were made, with the metal sleeve, are prone to issues, upon restoration. later pens craze, and later yet, shrink...

I am excited to find out what the pen is.

that crazy pink color, with the black veining, one of the purse pen colors, would be pretty incredible.

in the end, figure if Doc I is excited over this single pen, it probably is pretty cool.

#4 Don Lavin

Don Lavin

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:08 PM

Well, if we are going to use only cataloged or advertised models and not model shop one offs etc. the answer would have to be the coral Deco Band as featured in countless ads but never encountered as an entire pen. Cliff has an authentic cap for the pen which demonstrates that at one time or another the pen was actually made. I could have guessed the Flamingo Deco Band but at least 2 others are known in collections - Lynn Brandt's and Cliff Harrington's. And as for oversized Dorics in black and pearl I have owned one and seen at least 2 others. So I am sticking with the coral elusive beauty. Don
Don Lavin:

Posted Image

#5 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 13 July 2010 - 05:05 PM

How about a gold or gold filled doric or personal point? that would be pretty cool....

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:14 PM

Posting my note from the Zoss List last night, summarizing some suggestions made over there and sharing a bit of worldview:

Interesting list of pens showing up.

Again, the point is made that Wahl, having no era of fancy overlays, gives smaller range of "monster" pens to consider.

The tilt toward anomalies vs simply the impressive-- hey there were a bunch of solid gold pens made that are not common, cost a fortune in the day,and are quite significant-- perhaps reflects advanced collecting. The weird and unexpected charm advanced collectors more than just "hefty" and even "uncommon"

The nice list included here so far:

1) Black Pearl Doric (found large and medium at least, color not catalogued for Doric but found in flat-top and Equipoised)

2) Coral Decoband (uncatalogued, rumored to exist in collection nearColumbus Ohio, and with Don suspecting that Cliff has a cap).

3 )Flamingo Decoband

Syd,firmly diving into the philosophy of "what means best" and worryingthat I meant "just Wahl" while I indeed meant from the whole W-E run,volunteered.

4) Deco Band (again in Coral, RHR or Flamingo)

5) Bells and whistles features (forget that- that's just stuff)

6) "missing link pens"

7) Decoband in heretofore unseen colors (eg, purse pen colors)

John Messer's

8) Solid gold or silver imaginary Coronet.

Mike's imaginary all GF Deco Band or Decoband in Turquoise

and so forth.

Again, quirk findings on Big Pens seem to be the dominant theme to these suggestions.

I cannot say I disagree...

-david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:19 PM

I find it bit interesting that the quite scarce (at least they were catalogued) big solid gold Wahls are not cited. Not sure I've seen many of the following around during the last 12 years, but they seem, too, to fall under the radar, relative to plastic oddities ;)

No, the following is NOT the pen under discussion, but still... it is a Wahl that does not turn up every day. Solid gold, of course.

Posted Image

--d

Posted Image

#8 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:28 PM

The Most Outrageous and Collectable Wahl of All (more or less) will make its public debut at the Syracuse Pen Club meeting tonight. First online appearance will be in less than two weeks. Will see who called it right ;)

-david

Posted Image

#9 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:36 AM

The Most Outrageous and Collectable Wahl of All (more or less) will make its public debut at the Syracuse Pen Club meeting tonight. First online appearance will be in less than two weeks. Will see who called it right ;)

-david

David,

It is 0 dark thirty something and I can hear a pen drop.

How about an unveiling (or is than an inking)?

T

#10 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 22 July 2010 - 11:23 AM

David,

It is 0 dark thirty something and I can hear a pen drop.

How about an unveiling (or is than an inking)?

T

Not an unveiling, not an inking, not even an... ahhh,... inkling Posted Image

Next week. Probably Thursday.

Won't be disappointed.

-david

Posted Image

#11 Baz666

Baz666

journeyman

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:44 PM

Hi

Any chance of seeing pics of "what arguably is the most significant Wahl out there".

Or did I miss something?

Regards
Paul.

#12 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:18 PM

Hi

Any chance of seeing pics of "what arguably is the most significant Wahl out there".

Or did I miss something?

Regards
Paul.

A quite valid question.

Answer...

This summer my partner at work (we cycle 14 night shifts each covering our hospital, then each have 14 days off), took ill for first time in our 7 years running the so-called "Nocturnist" program. Hospital had no other back up plan, save to as me to stick around. As of yesterday, I worked 40 of 48 12+ hour night shifts, sleeping more and more of day and doing less and less outside Medicine. Fell behind on pen stuff, to say the least.

I should be able to post part-1 (Video) if not this eve then this weekend at least. Part 2- with the images of pen to follow in few days.

What can I say, besides having no down time this summer, which has passed truly in a blur and has left me running on fumes, I had to focus more on real life than hobby life.

regards

David

Posted Image

#13 Baz666

Baz666

journeyman

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:43 PM

A quite valid question.

Answer...

This summer my partner at work (we cycle 14 night shifts each covering our hospital, then each have 14 days off), took ill for first time in our 7 years running the so-called "Nocturnist" program. Hospital had no other back up plan, save to as me to stick around. As of yesterday, I worked 40 of 48 12+ hour night shifts, sleeping more and more of day and doing less and less outside Medicine. Fell behind on pen stuff, to say the least.

I should be able to post part-1 (Video) if not this eve then this weekend at least. Part 2- with the images of pen to follow in few days.

What can I say, besides having no down time this summer, which has passed truly in a blur and has left me running on fumes, I had to focus more on real life than hobby life.

regards

David

No problems David, I didn't know

I am 4 weeks the good side of a total hip replacement (and doing ok).
The lady wife had a stroke 18 months ago (at age 31) and we bring our (5) kids up the best we can.
I know pens are a very passionate hobby to Me. I guess they are to you also .
However, I know "real life" comes first.
It takes up a goodly part of my life.

My thoughts are with you

Regards
Paul.

#14 kimsdad

kimsdad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

Just browsing, did a picture ever turn up?
Jim

#15 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:21 PM

Edit: I answered this thinking it was contemporary. I just noticed this is about a 2 year old thread. Didn't pay any attention to the dates until just now.

By the way, Cliff did tell me that he has the Coral Deco Band cap, when I posted my pictures of my BCHR Deco Band set on FPH.

I'm gonna guess this pen is a Flamingo Deco Band.

Damn! Wish I could do this with the Stock Market! ;)

Edited by Procyon, 27 November 2012 - 03:08 AM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#16 LedZepGirl

LedZepGirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:10 AM

Easy, but nothing exciting- I love my Skyline. It's a just a run of the mill pen, brown polystyrene barrel that's been repaired, stripped celluloid cap, that is honey colored. It writes great and looks nice enough, but I'm only interested in pens that you can use- no museum pieces for me. I also have a vest pocket sized Doric that is useless right now because it has a cracked section, it writes nice if you like getting ink on your fingers. Then there's the little green Bantam I came across some years ago, a very deceiving pen, despite its small size it holds a ton of ink and writes almost as good as the Skyline.

I'm also trying to get my mitts on an Oxford, which is proving surprisingly hard to find.
>>>My Blog<<<

#17 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

journeyman

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationShorewood

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

Years ago Pier Gustafson showed me an Executive Skyline that had a sterling or WGF cap (can't remember which) The pen body was an incredible blue and the nib was white gold. Maybe not the coolest ever but really unique and certainly one I would like to own.
Jerry

#18 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:18 AM

Posted Image

regards

d

Posted Image

#19 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:39 AM

That is one beautifully impressive (or impressively beautiful) pen.

#20 LedZepGirl

LedZepGirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:27 PM

Umm... is that pen pink?

*slowly backs away*
>>>My Blog<<<

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users