Photo

Heretofore unseen (?) Sheaffer TM Touchdown...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 July 2010 - 07:56 PM

At the Atlanta Pen Show (and at Raleigh) I grabbed a bunch of Sheaffers from a pen friend who has a most impressive array of 1950's Sheaffers. We discussed a bit the pen to follow, as it caught my eye with its anomalous features.

As you might know, I do a bit more than a bit these days with 1950's Sheaffers... TM Touchdown (Thin Model Touchdown, a "one year: 1951 pen), Snorkel and PFM. Still learning about them. Here is a typical TM Touchdown. Externals have similar look to Snorkel (bit shorter barrel, though this pen in non-snorkel color called... Green). Note the knurled celluloid (?) partially transparent gripping section.

Posted Image

The pen to follow is that which I grabbed at the recent pen show. Essentially a TM Touchdown, it was a wee bit odd. Look in particular at the nib and section...

Posted Image

The nib seems to be the short Triumph nib found not on 1951 TM Touchdown but rather on the 1959 Sheaffer Lady Skripsert. Too the gripping section is matching smooth injection-molded plastic, not the knurled partially clear celluloid (?) section of the typical TM Touchdown.

What is this weird critter?

A 'late production" TM Touchdown?

Could be.

Perhaps sucking some of the excitement from the find is that the pen is not of USA manufacture (vaguely recall Australia, but will need to confirm it is not Canadian. Pen not in front of me).

As is case often for pens, non-USA production pens often don't follow our expectations built upon findings for USA-made pens. Still, I've never seen another pen of this sort and find it an interesting variant. Any info out there of course appreciated.

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:51 AM

Hi David
These turn up occasionally, I've seen both Canadian and Australian made ones. I'm thinking that the Aust. one had a Canadian nib , don't hold me to that though!!. They must come from 1957 and latter, maybe a transitional model in those countries before the Imperial line? or a model only made in those countries ? Using up left over TM parts? Nobody seems to know. I'm also thinking the ones I've seen have all been burgundy as well.

Whats this.. "sucking some of the excitement from the find is that the pen is not of USA manufacture (vaguely recall Australia) ".....really Posted Image!! Don't you know that when it comes to quality Sheaffers there is Australian....then all the rest....Posted Image

Regards
Aussie Hugh

PS: Good to see you on a board again!!
Hugh Cordingley

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:57 PM

Hi David
These turn up occasionally, I've seen both Canadian and Australian made ones. I'm thinking that the Aust. one had a Canadian nib , don't hold me to that though!!. They must come from 1957 and latter, maybe a transitional model in those countries before the Imperial line? or a model only made in those countries ? Using up left over TM parts? Nobody seems to know. I'm also thinking the ones I've seen have all been burgundy as well.

Whats this.. "sucking some of the excitement from the find is that the pen is not of USA manufacture (vaguely recall Australia) ".....really Posted Image!! Don't you know that when it comes to quality Sheaffers there is Australian....then all the rest....Posted Image

Regards
Aussie Hugh

PS: Good to see you on a board again!!

Hi Hugh,

No slight meant to Australian quality, I assure you :)

Rather observing the well known point that collectors of USA-oriented pens tend to define the expected and anomalous based on typical behavior of the USA-branches of the manufacturers. Oddities perhaps are less odd when produced outside the confines of the USA arena ;)

regards

David

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#4 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 02:59 AM

Hi Hugh,

No slight meant to Australian quality, I assure you :)

Rather observing the well known point that collectors of USA-oriented pens tend to define the expected and anomalous based on typical behavior of the USA-branches of the manufacturers. Oddities perhaps are less odd when produced outside the confines of the USA arena ;)

regards

David

Hi David,

Just keeping you on your toesPosted Image , not that I really see any quality difference between US, Canadian or Aust. production.

The more I think about these pens, the less sense it makes. Even to Sheaffer there could be no economic rational in producing a section for what was becoming an obsolete model anyway and producing it in what would appear to be a small (Canadian?) run. I'm starting to lean to this being a pre-Target model , but it defies logic !!

Regards
Hugh

Hugh Cordingley

#5 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:25 AM

One of these, US made, has turned up on the 'bay. Details here , I'm not sure the metal cap is "standard" although I do recall seeing a US made metal caped one before.

Regards
Hugh

Edited by Hugh, 29 March 2012 - 01:50 AM.

Hugh Cordingley

#6 snorkelcc

snorkelcc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

From the imprint and nib, it indicates that this pen was made in USA…

Posted Image

I have been assumed that this is a mix pen of several parts before learning from earlier discussions that it should be kind of unusual item…:blink:

The nib is different from David's example, it is a single gold tone nib, I guess it is not made of gold otherwise it will be marked as the other nibs.

CC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users