7 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 24 March 2011 - 09:57 PM

A recent thread (March 2011) on the Zoss List raised the issue of "Grail pens". Derived from the Holy Grail, a religious artifact with mythic elements, modern "grails" are items which-- if not utterly unobtainable-- are remarkably hard to obtain and are of overwhelming/absolute collecting desire to their seekers. A grail pen in theory is the single most desired pen for a given collector. As I wrote on the Z-list, "Shouldn't a "grail" pen that be a fixed singular target as with one's "max" bid on an ebay auction? I mean, really, if you have a bunch of "grail" pens, are not they all not really grails?"

Of course, the term if fuzzy, and inevitably in such discussion people cite multiple "grails"--- which is a push on the term-- or cite shifting grails, since once a collector finds the impossible pen or when he happens to redirect his collecting focus, he still needs something to which to aspire. Whims change, right? Thus the fuzziness of the "Grail" pen. I lean toward "dream" pen, since that term is a less constrained in usage than Grail. But even as we discuss our various and evolving dream pens, the chat inevitably redirects to one of my favorite themes, the presentation of mini collections or of individual pens that give us great collecting pride. Nothing wrong with that.

In fact, this fall I acquired my Grail Pen, with that term applied in relatively correct modern usage, the *single* pen I long have aspired to own, something though not unobtainable (as perhaps was the original Holy Grail) is darn close (can one be "close" to an absolute? Can one be close to the infinite?), the pen which-- even as I still own and seek amazing representatives of various series-- is the one item that says, "I have completed my task. My work is done. I can breathe easily, and look over my collection with contentment. If I never find another pen, I still have 'won' the collecting challenge".

But, I'm not quite ready to post images about that one

I will offer a key mini-collection, split into a few images as I have not shot a single tray with every last example of this sub-group of Parker Vacumatic pens.

The pens at hand are Canadian Vacs fitted with wide solid-gold cap-bands. Some have 9k cap-band; others have 14k cap-band. I also have the only known (or publicly known) bit of provenance/documentation for Parker manufacture/sanction of these, not that most of us have had reason to doubt they are factory correct. As has been noted of late in some Sheaffer threads, Canadian manufacture often deviated from standards we hold based on USA manufacturer documentation.

These pens are quite scarce, as they were a fancy production subset from a minority pen population location (even considering pens found in Europe, Canadian-imprint Vacs today are markedly less common than pens of USA issue). Many I've found have turned up in England. I hardly can insist that the entire output of these was targeted to overseas markets, but clearly they were popular there.

Here are three of my first generation Vacumatic Oversize pens, shot before I acquired the fourth of the five colors.

Posted Image

I like the bold simple cap-band. I'm fond of first generation, lockdown-fill Vacs. Their chunky contour and unassuming trim appeal. Replacing the triple cap-band with the single bold smooth band, especially with cachet enhanced by rarity and by solid alloy gold, adds a bit of oomph to those early pens.

The gold appointed pens (clip and tassie are gold-filled) did make the jump to the 2nd generation, and pens are found as Debutante, Senior Maxima and Major, not just OS, Slender and Standard.

I was thrilled recently-- even if it was the most expensive gold-band Canadian Vac I've purchased-- to add the Emerald Pearl OS set to the Burgundy, Black and Silver Pearl OS pens just shown.

Posted Image

Noting that period manufacturer literature and ephemera are of great appeal to serious collectors, that often these are more rare than the related pens, and that they have importance for providing context for the pens, perhaps my best find from this genre was not yet another pen of this sort, but was the only known style pen box (I have vague recollection that one more identical box might be out there, but I don't insist) to mention the connection to Parker for these alloy gold cap-band pens. This is a useful item, in case anyone suspected the pens might be aftermarket.

Not only does the label mention the gold cap-band, but the pen shown has added interest, as it makes clear that the expensive gold cap-band is found not only on a high line pen, but also on a humble economy line Vacumatic Junior. The gold band was not just a bump in prestige for the most expensive pens of the day, but could be had on a basic model. If only I could find a catalogue...

In any case, since shooting this image, I did manage to acquire a matching pencil, an amazing find in my view. The mottled Green Vac Junior set with gold cap-band is the only Junior I've seen with the gold cap-band.

Posted Image

I do have some duplicates, mostly of the Golden Pearl Major. I have a couple Emerald Pearl Standard pens, but they are different; one has 9k band, one 14k.

Note that Parker USA did make gold cap-band pens, but those pens-- part of the Imperial Signet line-- had gold clip and tassie as well, and were shown only in two colors and two sizes, though with two possible 14k band sizes, meaning 8 pens.

Andy Lambrou's FPOTW shows an Canadian Emerald Pearl Major with the wide solid-gold cap-band, probably the first of this sort I'd seen, back in my first year or so collecting. Then, I saw a pen of this type offered on ebay. Soon I was hunting.

Collecting is not--- at least should not be-- a contest. Whoever has the most pens does NOT necessarily win ;)

Indeed, having the "most pens" might be some sort of warning sign. Posted Image

Still... recognizing no one ever can know all the pens out there in private collections, I suspect this is the largest accumulation extant of this variant of Vacumatic. At least, I've neither seen nor heard of anything close. This is a hard fought collection, hunted for more than a decade. Pens that-- for individual color/size/model-- overall are in the rarity zone of the "Vacumatic Cap-Band" pens, though these carry less collector cachet. I've grabbed nearly every one I've encountered, passing on duplicates unless the price was right, and passing on the occasional pen I lack altogether if the price really was wrong.

The tray below includes all the pens shown above, save for the Emerald Pearl OS, a late acquisition. Again, all are Canadian Vacs from 1st and 2nd generation, fitted with wide solid gold cap-bands, either 9k or 14k

Posted Image

Not necessarily "Grail" , this mini collection nonetheless gives me great contentment as a collector and leaves open room for finding more variants, keeping me in the game.

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 Baz666

Baz666

journeyman

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:00 AM

Not necessarily "Grail" , this mini collection nonetheless gives me great contentment as a collector and leaves open room for finding more variants, keeping me in the game.

regards

David

Hi David

I recently acquired this pencil.

Now there`s another colour to go for.
Not to throw a spanner in the works, more to "keep you in the game" ;)

There out there somewhere.

Posted Image

Regards
Paul.

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 25 March 2011 - 12:10 PM

Hi David

Posted Image

Regards
Paul.

Yowzer!

I am not at all surprised to see that pencil, but I am impressed :)

Suspect all three mottled colors exist. But, having handled at most 30 gold-band pensin 13 years, tracking down more of them no doubt will take some time.

Now, when you are ready to part with that one... ;)

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#4 adamon

adamon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 07:13 PM

David,
You're absolutely right. Everybody has the own Grail. I will say, the Grail is like a horizon. You are thinking, you're close to him, but soon you will see that the Grail is far far away. And you are looking for the next , and next, and next....
When I see your collection, I understand immediately, that I am on the very first stage of the trip. But... even the longest journey begins with the one, first step....:rolleyes:
And I really understand, that this way has no end...
Nevertheless... I will try

#5 Mags

Mags

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationAjax, ON Canada

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:55 AM

These are lovely David. I have one lever style 1939 Canadian Vacumatic that I purchased from Dan at FPGeeks, I wanted mine as it was Canadian and had one of the longer plunger styles in metal that locked.

Now one pen does not a collection make....love what you have found above.

Best Regards,

Mags
Rob Maguire (Call me M or Mags) I use a fountain pen and a blackberry playbook.

#6 rpk1204

rpk1204

journeyman

• Members
  • 157 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:20 AM

David, I agree with your thoughts on what "grail" means.  It's THE one.  I probably know much more about cars than pens and I conjur up images of "427 Cobra", "Hemi Cuda Convertible", "Duesenberg SJ", "Cord",and "Ferrari GTO California", depending on your particular slant...  As a new collector, I'm sure I'm not even aware of what my grail pen would be yet... that requires much more extensive knowledge than I have amassed so far.  But the learning is sooo much fun!

Randy

#7 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationManila/Virginia/San Diego

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:05 PM

and here's the humbler member of the family--an OS with a wide gold-filled (not solid 9K or 14K) band. 

3081478265_b9c59c35ba_z.jpg?zz=1

got it on ebay from a seller in auckland, NZ.

Check out my pens here and my blog here.

#8 Wardok

Wardok

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:10 PM

See Par 628 on this page if anybody is still looking  http://www.writetime...rker/parker.htm  

I just noticed it and remembered this thread

Simon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users