#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:13 PM

Where to start, where to start...???

During a month this spring I had a particularly great run of luck finding early Parker Vacumatic family pens.

Keep in mind... collectors can go a collecting lifetime without grabbing a 1932-3 pre-Vacumatic Parker Vacuum-Filler Demonstrator (full barrel transparency, with usual maker's imprint and Demonstrator markings).

A similar and desirable pen of slightly lesser cachet is the 1933-34 Parker Vacumatic (proper) Crystal variant.

I've had my share of both pens over the years, though I of course amf airly aggressive in my pursuit of Vacumatics. I have a decent example of each pen in my own collection and have had a couple-few of each sold via the Vacumania website as well.

Still... these are very difficult to find. More difficult to find with decent imprints and transparency, as many have ambered to a nearly opaque state.

I had an incredibly lucky single month regarding finding these pens.

First, I grabbed a very nice Parker Vacumatic Crystal. Sharp imprint(better than the image shows, as the fill-in was done in rushed fashion)

Posted Image

A few days later I picked up serially a pair (yes, a pair) of Parker Vacuum-Filler Demonstrators, again with very nice clarity. And, yes, it is my belief (a thread for another day), that the silver pearl capson these are original.

Posted Image

And another view...

Posted Image

Here is the Vacuum-Filler pair with a bit of back-lighting to show the nice barrel clarity

Posted Image

The Crystal and the first of the Demonstrators to arrive:

Posted Image

So, after three weeks, I had the 2 Demos, better still each had the early Vacuum-Filler impint, and I had a grand example of Vacumatic Crystal. Again, folks can go many years not finding one of these. It's not a competition, but the challenge presented by the pens is well illustrated by that reality. To find three of this sort in a year, never mind month, perhaps is unprecedented.

Posted Image

Here are the three, again now with bit of back lighting

Posted Image

But... it gets better. Yes, really.

I already was on cloud nine from these recent finds, when a few days later I picked up a fourth pen, the best of the bunch, another Parker Vacuum-Filler Demonstrator, this one with the best clarity of the group (yellow-orange) in arguably near mint condition with "molten" imprints, the heat stamped "Vacuum Filler" and the Demonstrator imprints showing raised ridges still.

Here are all four pens, the final acquisition at the top of theimage. Ron Zorn restored most of these, and demonstrated a scary technique for improving barrel clarity on some that had been internally etched by decades of dried ink.

Posted Image

Typically, these have much better "Demonstrator" than "Vacuum-Filler" imprints- larger deeper stampings. But the three Demos all do have sharp Vacuum-Filler markings. Here is a close-up of the Demonstratormarkings on a couple of the pens.

Posted Image

This was a remarkable run of luck. I'm not sure how these pens languished online, generating well less competition than I'd expected. Even aggressive as I am finding Vacs, I'd be happy to find one of this sort every couple years. Four in a month left me a happy David, no doubt.

Thanks for peeking

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 Eric O. Costello

Eric O. Costello

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:54 PM

Very nice pens, indeed.

#3 Andy H

Andy H

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:14 PM

Those really are quite amazing - although I'm a relative noob, still I've never seen one in the flesh at any of the pen shows I've attended; in fact I've never seen one on Fleabay or in a listing from a collector pen site. I knew they existed, but thanks for providing me with the first decent glimpses I've ever seen of them.

#4 Chris Chalmers

Chris Chalmers

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:29 AM

Where to start, where to start...???

During a month this spring I had a particularly great run of luck finding early Parker Vacumatic family pens.

Keep in mind... collectors can go a collecting lifetime without grabbing a 1932-3 pre-Vacumatic Parker Vacuum-Filler Demonstrator (full barrel transparency, with usual maker's imprint and Demonstrator markings).

A similar and desirable pen of slightly lesser cachet is the 1933-34 Parker Vacumatic (proper) Crystal variant.

I've had my share of both pens over the years, though I of course amf airly aggressive in my pursuit of Vacumatics. I have a decent example of each pen in my own collection and have had a couple-few of each sold via the Vacumania website as well.

Still... these are very difficult to find. More difficult to find with decent imprints and transparency, as many have ambered to a nearly opaque state.

I had an incredibly lucky single month regarding finding these pens.

First, I grabbed a very nice Parker Vacumatic Crystal. Sharp imprint(better than the image shows, as the fill-in was done in rushed fashion)

Posted Image

A few days later I picked up serially a pair (yes, a pair) of Parker Vacuum-Filler Demonstrators, again with very nice clarity. And, yes, it is my belief (a thread for another day), that the silver pearl capson these are original.

Posted Image

And another view...

Posted Image

Here is the Vacuum-Filler pair with a bit of back-lighting to show the nice barrel clarity

Posted Image

The Crystal and the first of the Demonstrators to arrive:

Posted Image

So, after three weeks, I had the 2 Demos, better still each had the early Vacuum-Filler impint, and I had a grand example of Vacumatic Crystal. Again, folks can go many years not finding one of these. It's not a competition, but the challenge presented by the pens is well illustrated by that reality. To find three of this sort in a year, never mind month, perhaps is unprecedented.

Posted Image

Here are the three, again now with bit of back lighting

Posted Image

But... it gets better. Yes, really.

I already was on cloud nine from these recent finds, when a few days later I picked up a fourth pen, the best of the bunch, another Parker Vacuum-Filler Demonstrator, this one with the best clarity of the group (yellow-orange) in arguably near mint condition with "molten" imprints, the heat stamped "Vacuum Filler" and the Demonstrator imprints showing raised ridges still.

Here are all four pens, the final acquisition at the top of theimage. Ron Zorn restored most of these, and demonstrated a scary technique for improving barrel clarity on some that had been internally etched by decades of dried ink.

Posted Image

Typically, these have much better "Demonstrator" than "Vacuum-Filler" imprints- larger deeper stampings. But the three Demos all do have sharp Vacuum-Filler markings. Here is a close-up of the Demonstratormarkings on a couple of the pens.

Posted Image

This was a remarkable run of luck. I'm not sure how these pens languished online, generating well less competition than I'd expected. Even aggressive as I am finding Vacs, I'd be happy to find one of this sort every couple years. Four in a month left me a happy David, no doubt.

Thanks for peeking

-d

Wow! David, what are you planning to do with these? Ink them up and write to me??? :blink:
Seriously though, do they have nibs........you haven't showed us any nibs - :unsure:

Nice haul though, and keep looking - one of these days you will find a pot of Gold!!! :P
Hugs from the Little Island off the Big Island Down Under!

#5 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationManila/Virginia/San Diego

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:53 AM

"languished online"???? pray tell, where? surely not on ebay? ;)
Check out my pens here and my blog here.

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:54 PM

"languished online"???? pray tell, where? surely not on ebay? ;)

You probably don't want to know ;)

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#7 NABodie

NABodie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 26 July 2010 - 01:54 AM

Not all pretty and clean yet, but then I just picked it up off the bay a few min. ago.

Yes, no, maybe?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

If not I need a good silver pearl cap anyway, and extra parts seem to always come in handy.

#8 cjabbott

cjabbott

journeyman

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:59 AM

Congratulations!
Wanted:
Indian Pens

#9 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:29 PM

Not all pretty and clean yet, but then I just picked it up off the bay a few min. ago.

Yes, no, maybe?

If not I need a good silver pearl cap anyway, and extra parts seem to always come in handy.

Do show more when it arrives. I think i see a hint of striping at back end of barrel, but this could be artifact. Obviously any Junior-length black barrel will fit various caps, but we need to see the real clarity (not a pin size peek at red here n there). The nib is not feather-together, which does not disprove the pen. The section (could be shadows) seems not to be integrated into the barrel (i think I see divider line). Suspect you will get better red clarity once you flush the barrel, but we simply need to see the actual pen: imprints, clarity, etc. Surely a grand find if this turns out to be a Demo (or Crystal) barrel.

regards

Daivd

Posted Image

#10 NABodie

NABodie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 27 July 2010 - 04:13 PM

I'll post an update when it arrives.

#11 NABodie

NABodie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:32 PM

.......and it arrived in todays mail.  I was disapointed that is was not marked demonstrator.  However the barrel was lacking stripes and after a good bit of flushing, brushing and cleaning there were still no stripes.  The clarity is pretty poor but this is definatly a Vacum Filler (says so on the barrel) with a crystal barrel.  The cap jewel is black and the blind cap jewel is grey striped.  The filler unit looks pristine but this has certainly been a well used pen.  A quick cleaning and diaphram change....

and here it is.

Posted Image

I understand that Ron has a new technique for improving barrel clarity so I may have to look into that.  So then it would seem I have a Crystal 1932-3 pre-Vacumatic Parker Vacuum-Filler.  My guess is these don't turn up all that often either?

#12 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:52 AM

.......and it arrived in todays mail. I was disapointed that is was not marked demonstrator. However the barrel was lacking stripes and after a good bit of flushing, brushing and cleaning there were still no stripes. The clarity is pretty poor but this is definatly a Vacum Filler (says so on the barrel) with a crystal barrel. The cap jewel is black and the blind cap jewel is grey striped. The filler unit looks pristine but this has certainly been a well used pen. A quick cleaning and diaphram change....

and here it is.

Posted Image

I understand that Ron has a new technique for improving barrel clarity so I may have to look into that. So then it would seem I have a Crystal 1932-3 pre-Vacumatic Parker Vacuum-Filler. My guess is these don't turn up all that often either?

Interesting that it showed up with the "wrong" caps, that (arguably) are not "wrong" on a Demonstrator. One model for why some/many true Demos turn up with gray caps (still a thread for another day I've not yet posted) is that it helped dealer not mix up pen for typical sales model. Perhaps a dealer wanted a spare Demo so made his own, using an otherwise identical Crystal Vacuum-Filler barrel. Crystal Vacuum-Filler definitely is a high cachet Vac, though of course clarity counts. It is not impossible (though takes some effort) to make this pen whole by finding black cap and blind cap, though early clip would be ideal.

Once this one was determined to be a Vacuum-Filler (not Vacumatic, proper) it was inevitable it would prove to be Crystal, since we saw *some* clarity spots on the original photo and since Vacuum Filler in black is found only as opaque or Crystal (no patterned transparency). Nice pen :)

Do talk to Ron. There is no magic to the clarity issue. It is well known (or well believed) that ambering occurs inside out. However even Ron does not (he probably could, but we worry for the stability of the pen) aggressively try to remove inner barrel to remove ambering. However, he has worked out (no doubt others have too) a method to nicely polish inside of barrel. Often these barrels are hazy from ink etching or thin layer of bound ink that just won't flush. He can get the barrel nicely shiny and usually not hazy internally, but this is not magic for turning red clarity yellow ;)

regards

David

Posted Image

#13 NABodie

NABodie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 31 July 2010 - 02:05 AM

Note the ebay shot showing the black blind cap.  Only the jewel is striped on the blind cap and the furniture is silver.  The cap itself sports a black jewel, not striped.  Further fodder for thought.

#14 djohannsen

djohannsen

journeyman

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • LocationFredericksburg, VA

Posted 31 July 2010 - 11:30 AM

Often these barrels are hazy from ink etching or thin layer of bound ink that just won't flush. He can get the barrel nicely shiny and usually not hazy internally, but this is not magic for turning red clarity yellow ;)

Vac sections are usually threaded (though some early Vac barrels are one-piece affairs). A little heat to soften the shellac and one can unscrew the section. Then one can use Q-tips with some dilute amonia to clean up the inside walls of the barrel. One can sometimes achieve some pretty good improvement in clarity this way. Though I have not tried it and would exercise caution, Micromesh now makes Q-tip like polishing swabs that may also further remove ink residue.

Dave

#15 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:07 PM

Vac sections are usually threaded (though some early Vac barrels are one-piece affairs). A little heat to soften the shellac and one can unscrew the section. Then one can use Q-tips with some dilute amonia to clean up the inside walls of the barrel. One can sometimes achieve some pretty good improvement in clarity this way. Though I have not tried it and would exercise caution, Micromesh now makes Q-tip like polishing swabs that may also further remove ink residue.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Vacuum-Filler, proper, has a one-piece barrel-section assembly.

regards

David

Posted Image

#16 djohannsen

djohannsen

journeyman

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:50 PM

Vacuum-Filler, proper, has a one-piece barrel-section assembly.

Grateful for the info. However, never having examined a "Crystal" Vacuum Filler, I'm now confused... The barrel is transparent, but the section looks black... How can this be one-piece? :blink: Does the section just appear balck due to it's thickness and the presence of a black feed, or were these pens turned from one piece of rod stock that had a colorant introduced at one end during manufacturing, or is a black section solvent welded to the clear barrel, or is there another explanation? I know that you're busy, but you've piqued my curiosity. (Of course I'll also admit the possibility that I am so confused that I am asking a question that doesn't even make sense - the days when I knew anything at all about Vacs were pretty far back.)

Dave

#17 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 31 July 2010 - 07:49 PM

Grateful for the info. However, never having examined a "Crystal" Vacuum Filler, I'm now confused... The barrel is transparent, but the section looks black... How can this be one-piece? :blink: Does the section just appear balck due to it's thickness and the presence of a black feed, or were these pens turned from one piece of rod stock that had a colorant introduced at one end during manufacturing, or is a black section solvent welded to the clear barrel, or is there another explanation? I know that you're busy, but you've piqued my curiosity. (Of course I'll also admit the possibility that I am so confused that I am asking a question that doesn't even make sense - the days when I knew anything at all about Vacs were pretty far back.)

Dave

Vacs.... confusion? How could that be Posted Image

Best I can tell the black section and the black back end of the barrel both represent solvent weld of material before the rod was cut, threaded, whatever. Guess I must soon shoot image where the two materials meet.

regards

David

Posted Image

#18 djohannsen

djohannsen

journeyman

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:17 AM

Best I can tell the black section and the black back end of the barrel both represent solvent weld of material before the rod was cut, threaded, whatever.

Thanks for clearing up my confusion on this.

Dave

#19 NABodie

NABodie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:46 AM

Just curious David, but what cap jewel is on the yellow/orangeish demonstrator striped or black? Oh and might we have a look at those nibs?

#20 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 25 August 2010 - 03:27 PM

Just curious David, but what cap jewel is on the yellow/orangeish demonstrator striped or black? Oh and might we have a look at those nibs?

Hi,

Pens not in front of me and-- my perpetual apology of late-- I'm on like my fortieth night shift in 45 days with associate out sick at the hospital-- so might not have time to hunt soon. Vague recollection is that "as expected" the striped caps have striped jewel (and most the striped caps are missing a cap-band, despite being very clean caps).

regards

David

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users