179 replies to this topic

#81 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:34 AM

Yawn....should be over it but it's still interesting to see that despite all the QC issues of the past...CS has still failed to fix a lot of them...yet another " my CS didn't work" topic on the FPN. Even more interesting is the apparent growing appreciation for the QC of Onoto, who would appear to be the main rival ( or from this topic at least), and their product. A strange lack of input from the forum moderator makes this an unusual topic on the FPN, even the ever ready CS defender "Ghost Plane" has failed to launch herself into a frenzied defence of all things CS.....perhaps Beth has had a few "not so good" herself lately ?

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#82 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:59 PM

CS have been remarkably quiet recently, no presence at all at the recent Northern Pen Show which is the second biggest in the UK. Onoto were out though, winning plenty more plaudits for their new models.

Onoto give the impression of a company completely in control of the technical aspects of manufacturing and design of their products, as well as their customer service. I'm not sure you could say the same about CS......

I certainly received rapid, courteous and helpful replies from Alastair to my e-mails which ended up with me reserving my plunge fill Onoto Mammoth demonstrator for October.

Andy

#83 david6

david6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:38 AM

CS have been remarkably quiet recently, no presence at all at the recent Northern Pen Show which is the second biggest in the UK. Onoto were out though, winning plenty more plaudits for their new models.

Onoto give the impression of a company completely in control of the technical aspects of manufacturing and design of their products, as well as their customer service. I'm not sure you could say the same about CS......

I certainly received rapid, courteous and helpful replies from Alastair to my e-mails which ended up with me reserving my plunge fill Onoto Mammoth demonstrator for October.

Andy

Onoto seem to be the total opposite of CS - they care about their products and it shows. Both David and Alastair are very helpful when you purchase a pen from them, Conway Stewart on the other hand often do not bother to respond to emails which is very frustrating.

David

#84 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:19 AM

I guess it's worth noting that Brand Cellars (the famed joint venture partners) now list CS on their site, it doesn't appear to translated into anything though....another "strange" event!!

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#85 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:11 AM

And just to put it beyond doubt that the CS Forum is simply a marketing tool ( or is it THE marketing tool?) for modern CS....another gem (cough#@^ splutter&*^) from the moderator..

People often purchase after reading reviews so your feedback is much appreciated.I have an idea for creating a 'feedback' page for each of our models and limited editions. In order to create these pages, I will be depending on people here to send me their feedback via email with the subject line of the message being 'Feedback'. I can quote form your messages and use your initials and country to help with privacy.If people are willing to participate, please send the email to my address: maryburke@conwaystewart.co.uk

That has to be a first, spruiking for feedback!!

Regards
Hugh

Edited by Hugh, 05 May 2012 - 03:13 AM.

Hugh Cordingley

#86 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:06 AM

Well, Hugh, I have to hand it to you: your umbrage caused me to look up the definition of spruiking. I am educated now! And entertained...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4gxvG2848c

#87 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:33 AM

Great stuff, thank you Hugh and Jon!

Andy

#88 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:58 PM

1336187502[/url]' post='14593']
And just to put it beyond doubt that the CS Forum is simply a marketing tool ( or is it THE marketing tool?) for modern CS....another gem (cough#@^ splutter&*^) from the moderator..

People often purchase after reading reviews so your feedback is much appreciated.I have an idea for creating a 'feedback' page for each of our models and limited editions. In order to create these pages, I will be depending on people here to send me their feedback via email with the subject line of the message being 'Feedback'. I can quote form your messages and use your initials and country to help with privacy.If people are willing to participate, please send the email to my address: maryburke@conwaystewart.co.uk

Regards
Hugh

Just also idly wondering how those wanting to leave negative-sounding feedback will be treated............

#89 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:13 AM

Regards
Hugh

Just also idly wondering how those wanting to leave negative-sounding feedback will be treated............

One of these by the feedback desk....

Posted Image
will probably handle that type of response with the usual care and concern we've become accustomed too..Posted Image

Hugh Cordingley

#90 vintage penman

vintage penman

journeyman

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationCambrian Mountains - Wales

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:51 PM

And an electronic version will be sent back via e-mail just in case you dare criticize the great CS god.........

#91 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

Something struck me as I was checking some facts earlier today. Perhaps somebody can clarify this for me.

Mary Burke describes herself on her linkedin page and elsewhere as 'Director of Marketing & Development at Conway Stewart Manufacturing (UK) ltd'. I also understood that the current Managing Director was Alan Cheshire. However, neither of these names have ever appeared on the official list of the directors of that company. Are these just courtesy 'Director' titles, carrying none of the normal responsibilities of a 'proper' company director?

Perhaps more surprising is that Chris Care, the operations manager since administration was appointed as an official director on Jan 1st this year and she does appear on the official list (along with Amin Rawji, who has been listed as a director since the administration and is also a director of the Plymouth Pen company). Is this as a reward for all the good work being done to improve QC and customer service down there in Plymouth...........?

Andy

Edited by AndyR, 21 April 2013 - 02:05 PM.

#92 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:27 AM

Hi Andy,

The first two are simply glorified titles, again grand sounding titles is meant to sound better for marketing purposes especially when your representing a major ( cough,cough..) pen manufacturer. On the other, a board can appoint additional directors as it sees fit and it's probably a reward (?) unless she was offered the chance to "buy in". If the latter then maybe things are going okay for CS, if I had to pick an option I'd go the "buy in" as most likely with a ? .

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#93 The Good Captain

The Good Captain

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationShropshire, Great Britain

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:51 PM

May I draw your attention to this post I made on FPN, regarding the 'announced' re-launch of the CS 100 series.
This was an idea I had ages before it was mentioned.
As the comment says - no response at all. I'll just be interested to see what occurs next month, or whenever. I think there are comments later about the filling mechanisms.
The Good Captain
"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

#94 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

From everything I have read, Conway Stewart are (and have been for some time) typically appalling at answering the phone or e-mails. The company generally (and from my own experience, Mary Burke in particular) are happy to answer the queries they want to answer and completely ignore anything they don't want to answer. You'll have no doubt noted that Mary kindly replied to other queries within your linked topic but stoically ignored your comment about the lack of response to your communication! However, this seems to be true these days of several other pen sellers and many companies in other fields - and personally, I can't stand it. If it happens to me I simply take my business elsewhere. My only recent experience with modern pen companies has been with Nakaya and Onoto, the response of both of these companies to all communications has been exemplary. Some time back though, in the early days of modern CS, I also received prompt replies to queries from Don Yendle himself.

Lesson to CS on how to reply to a communication such as yours......

Dear Mr Good Captain,

Thank you for the interest you have shown in the CS100 range and we will certainly bear your comments in mind. Meanwhile, if you would be interested in ordering a custom pen along the lines you describe, we would be happy to quote for this, just let us know.

Kind regards,
etc.

This is not difficult - it takes 30 seconds to write, no special training required, it commits the company to nothing but you keep a potential customer onside and you may even sell a custom pen. Perhaps if you want a lever filling CS100 you should just go for a restored vintage version at about a fifth of the price of any modern one - and probably a more reliable writer, too!

Andy

#95 maryburke

maryburke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationWashington State, USA

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:17 AM

Hi Andy,

I have responded to The Good Captain and also mentioned that I have been trying to get the Model 100 and Model 58 re-launched ever since the senior management at that particular time retired the models. The team at CS has worked together and relaunched the Model 58 and we are working on the Model 100.

The recent conversations I have had with the The Good Captain have been very friendly and I wish you would stop portraying me in a negative light -- please!

This message is not bait for you to use for further postings against me and I sincerely hope that some day, in the future, you will refer to me in a positive note. After all, we are all humans and have feelings!

Sincerely,

Mary Burke

#96 The Good Captain

The Good Captain

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationShropshire, Great Britain

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:34 AM

Hi Andy,

I have responded to The Good Captain and also mentioned that I have been trying to get the Model 100 and Model 58 re-launched ever since the senior management at that particular time retired the models. The team at CS has worked together and relaunched the Model 58 and we are working on the Model 100.

The recent conversations I have had with the The Good Captain have been very friendly and I wish you would stop portraying me in a negative light -- please!

This message is not bait for you to use for further postings against me and I sincerely hope that some day, in the future, you will refer to me in a positive note. After all, we are all humans and have feelings!

Sincerely,

Mary Burke

And I've thoroughly enjoyed the dialogue with you too, Mary and must repeat what you say - a very positive series of steps in only the right direction were made. Forward! This obviously has to be a good thing for the future of fountain pen production here in the UK and if the 'lower' end of the market was to be addressed with the same enthusiasm as the 'higher' end, by CS management and Owners alike, including and perhaps especially Quality Control personnel, then a lot more people would be able to enjoy fine, functioning pens more readily.
Hope this waffle makes sense!

The Good Captain
"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

#97 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:46 AM

Hi Andy,

Sincerely,

Mary Burke

Mary,

You'll note that the comments you refer to were posted several months back and I have not mentioned you anywhere at all since then, so I'm not sure why you should make your request at this particular time. The Good Captain's post to which it referred only appeared here because he was frustrated at a continuing lack of response from either you personally or CS in general and I'm pleased for him that you and he finally have a dialogue on the subject.

I agree it would possibly have been better if I had phrased that particular reply in terms of Conway Stewart customer service in general rather than yourself in particular but you have always positioned yourself on FPN as the face of CS customer service, for this reason, you must surely expect the flack when things go wrong as well. So I'm sorry you consider that I have been posting against you personally, this has not been my intention and there have been several occasions when others were attacking you that I have stated (effectively) that you were only trying to do your best for the company under sometimes difficult circumstances. I also remember saying that I was generally pleased with the way the new brochure presented the company history, which was very much to your credit.

The only reason I started this topic (over two years ago) was to highlight the humorous point that messrs. Jarvis and Garner were (indeed still are) listed on the Blomberg page as 'key executives' of the modern company. It so happens that the topic later became the focus for much of the discontent many people had with the way the FPN CS forum was being run and other gripes they had generally with the modern company, largely because such comments would have been expunged from FPN. I cannot be responsible for comments other people may want to post.

However, let me state quite clearly - I have no personal vendetta against Mary Burke or the modern CS company and I genuinely wish both you and the company success in the future.

I guess this means you no longer want the coffee I offered to buy you at the London Show, though it transpires that this was a rather mean offer anyway, as I understand from the pre-show publicity that free tea and coffee are provided in the hall all day!

Andy

#98 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:58 AM

Hi Andy,

Sincerely,

Mary Burke

If you really want to move on and be seen in a "positive light" that's fair enough, and yes we all have feelings. Despite the fact you ignore every question I've ever put to you.... really the "balls in your court" and if your "fair dinkum" ....then it's up to you to show by example. Posting a link to the "book of Numbers" was a very positive step and , of course, you deserve credit for it.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#99 vintage penman

vintage penman

journeyman

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationCambrian Mountains - Wales

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:29 PM

I do wish this particular firm would go away and re invent itself on the Onoto model. I am utterly cheesed off of reading about lame excuses, failed responses, questionable QC and indifferent customer relations.

This is not he way to run a company and for these reasons i deem it prudent to give CS a very wide berth.  

Mind you, Aurora are not much better from my experience and I won't be going back there either.

#100 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:00 PM

It seems nothing has changed over at the FPN CS forum - http://www.fountainp...e/#entry2905025 - see especially post 28, if that hasn't already been deleted too....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users