• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:59 AM

Had 8 boxes of files that needed to go to an office 2 hours away and rather than shipping them, what better excuse for a pen hunting trip? In spite of hearing "oh, we don't get very many pens anymore" I did find a black and pearl flattop Sheaffer Sr that's not too badly carmelized and a Sheaffer Admiral grey bead band w/ Feather Touch nib for a total of $25. The Sr had something glued to the end of the cap at one time and the end of the barrel has what looks like aluminum paint (should clean up fine w/ some Micro Mesh) and some *&*%$ stole the pressure bar out of the Admiral but the chrome trim is in great shape, so I'm pretty happy.

15 miles down the road is a town with lots of antique shops. Nothing, nothing, nothing in the first 6 or so shops. Spotted a $79 burgundy marble Mabie Todd that I passed on just because I don't collect Mabie Todd. Then on the bottom shelf of a case there's a $25 brown Vacumatic Deb, a $15 Snorkel w/ PdAg nib, a $22 Snorkel P&P set w/ 14K cap band, and a Parker 51 P&P set that also appears to be $22, but I could be wrong as I'm reading the tag upside down and backwards in the reflection of the mirror in the back of the case.

Had to wait on the owner to finish w/ 2 customers before I could ask to see his pens (breathe slowly, don't look excited). Yep, $22 for a Parker 51 P&P set. $23.52 with tax.....for a very lightly used no dents 1st Qtr '45 double jewel buckskin set w/ 14K trim and EMPIRE caps!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I never get this lucky again, it won't matter.

No, I didn't ask if he could discount the price. And I left all the other pens for someone else. Heck, in comparison they were all way overpriced!

#2 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationManila/Virginia/San Diego

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:55 AM

congrats, that's got to be the parker find of the year! ;) pics, please!
Check out my pens here and my blog here.

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:35 PM

Had 8 boxes of files that needed to go to an office 2 hours away and rather than shipping them, what better excuse for a pen hunting trip? In spite of hearing "oh, we don't get very many pens anymore" I did find a black and pearl flattop Sheaffer Sr that's not too badly carmelized and a Sheaffer Admiral grey bead band w/ Feather Touch nib for a total of $25. The Sr had something glued to the end of the cap at one time and the end of the barrel has what looks like aluminum paint (should clean up fine w/ some Micro Mesh) and some *&*%$ stole the pressure bar out of the Admiral but the chrome trim is in great shape, so I'm pretty happy.

15 miles down the road is a town with lots of antique shops. Nothing, nothing, nothing in the first 6 or so shops. Spotted a $79 burgundy marble Mabie Todd that I passed on just because I don't collect Mabie Todd. Then on the bottom shelf of a case there's a $25 brown Vacumatic Deb, a $15 Snorkel w/ PdAg nib, a $22 Snorkel P&P set w/ 14K cap band, and a Parker 51 P&P set that also appears to be $22, but I could be wrong as I'm reading the tag upside down and backwards in the reflection of the mirror in the back of the case.

Had to wait on the owner to finish w/ 2 customers before I could ask to see his pens (breathe slowly, don't look excited). Yep, $22 for a Parker 51 P&P set. $23.52 with tax.....for a very lightly used no dents 1st Qtr '45 double jewel buckskin set w/ 14K trim and EMPIRE caps!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I never get this lucky again, it won't matter.

No, I didn't ask if he could discount the price. And I left all the other pens for someone else. Heck, in comparison they were all way overpriced!

mmmMMMMMmmmm Empires ;)

The gold trim Snork set not bad deal either at $22

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#4 George

George

journeyman

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 02:07 PM

That beats my Buckskin empire set I found for $100 a couple of years ago.... Nice grab

Regards,
George

#5 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:08 PM

Sorry it's only a scanner shot:

Attached File  empirebuckskin.jpg   113.39KB   70 downloads

#6 djohannsen

djohannsen

journeyman

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • LocationFredericksburg, VA

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:02 PM

Sorry it's only a scanner shot:

Wow! The only things that I've ever found around here are $100 Wearevers and Arnolds (on a good day, I might find a Sheaffer beater from the fifties). I wish that I had your luck (though I know that there is also a lot of old fashioned "gumption" in hitting up every antique mall that you can). Congrats!

Dave

#7 Mike Kirk

Mike Kirk

journeyman

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationWixom, Michigan

Posted 23 July 2010 - 03:42 AM

Holy cow! I would've swallowed my gum on the spot! Nice catch and beauuuutiful set!

Mike Kirk

(~==]=====]]
Penfindum Restorum

Memberpca_logo100x100_zps688ac2a8.png NAWCCLogo_zps4a922f0b.jpg

#8 Kelly

Kelly

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationS.W. Kansas

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:57 PM

So, I get back from vacation to read this. Last I knew you were headed off on your adventure with the files. What a great find - a Sumgai for sure. Pete and Prescott would be proud.

#9 Rockyrod

Rockyrod

journeyman

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:20 PM

It isn't often I read something that knocks me out of my chair, but this one almost did. Sumgai of the year award happens to be a SET of DJ Buckskin Empires. Way to go!!!!

Rod R.
USAF, Ret.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users