• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:34 PM

This will be a work in progress as I add pictures, so check back periodically. July 23 update: this is all I have for now.

Parker acquired Eversharp in 1957 and the first Parker-Eversharp was the 10,000, which gets my vote as the 2nd ugliest pen ever made (the Charles DeGaulle ballpoint is the ugliest). Top pen in the picture below with weird V-notched short cap. I date them to no earlier than 1958, due to the arrow/halo mark on the back of the cap. Matching ballpoints and pencils (second picture) are easy to find, especially in antique/junk shops with a bucket o' pens or Rubbermaid tub o' pens and were often giveaways as many are imprinted with business names. The ballpoint has a "reminder" clip; the refill retracts when you flex the clip to stick it in your pocket or you can retract the refill by pressing the top of the clip.

Posted Image

Posted Image ("E" logo on this undated box matches the "E" on the clip of the later Point *7 model, but this is how I found it)

Next, since it looks like a 10,000 with a plastic 45 cap, is the Challenger (2nd and 3rd pens in first picture above). The Challenger has the same barrel and section as the 10,000, but only the forward half of the section is grooved. Note that the nib/feed are rotated 180 degrees in comparison to the 10,000. The nib/feed are a friction fit and it's easy to swap, but this is the way I have found them. The Challenger orientation looks better; the 1960 Parker parts list that Bill Acker made available a couple years ago shows the 10,000 section oriented opposite that of the Challenger.

The Challenger cost $1 and came with 2 cartridges

Posted Image
(picture thanks to David Isaacson)

Next evolution is the Big E (called Super E in the parts list)

Posted Image (box dated 2/61, price on pen is $2.98)

which is really a variation of the (Canadian-made) Parker 19 - which is a variation of the 45. The Big E/19 has an integral molded cap stop on the section instead of the 45's metal ring and a metal cap lip, same as the Parker CT/Student/Arrow. The 19 had chrome or gold plated trim; it's chrome on the Big E. The nib and feed are the same as a 45, but are friction fit. The end of the section is angled, but not a sharply as the 45's nib collar and less of the nib is covered. Pencils were made; I don't know about ball points. The Parker 19 can be seen on Tony Fischier's site at http://parkerpens.net/parker19.html He calls the Point *7 a Challenger; maybe they named them differently in Europe.

Posted Image

Note: even though it looks identical to a 45, the clip jewel on the pencil is a rivet (the brass cap liner is loose), not a screw, so I don't believe Parker intended this line to be repairable.

Next up, the Point *7 (can someone tell me how it was pronounced?)

From top to bottom, FP with same barrel/section as the Big E; Tip Wic porous point pen that uses cartridges (by the way, Parker made a yellow highlighter cartridge in the '60s); a later? FP with the same section as the Tip Wic which uses a similar nib unit as the 45 except the nib collar is shorter; a ball pen; and a dressed up pencil with gold plate trim.

Posted Image

A screen printed P&P set in white (does anyone recognize the logo? I'm guessing an insurance company.)

Posted Image

Parker Eversharp converters, both delux piston and pressure bar. Is red and black a traditional Eversharp color scheme? Reminds me of their red-top lead containers. The top ball point refill is from the 10,000, the bottom is a skinny "red-top Jotter" from a Point *7 pen.

Posted Image

Corrections are welcome.

#2 philm

philm

journeyman

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:44 PM

Matt,

Interesting stuff here. Thanks for the history and photos.

Phil

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:25 AM

Matt,

Nice presentation on a series that flies waaaaay below pendom's collective radar.

These pens hardly are high end (and I'm not so sure about overall quality), but they are of historical interest, no doubt.

Think we need to do a side-by-side comparo with Parker 45. At first glance some of these seem very similar. Identifying similarities and differences probably would be useful.

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#4 Mike Kirk

Mike Kirk

journeyman

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationWixom, Michigan

Posted 30 July 2010 - 12:37 PM

Greetings All

Sharing with you a find in the wild today, I present a red Eversharp Pencil in the Big E series, an example shown above in Matt's post & photo (see the blue one).

It does, in fact, bear much of the design features later incorporated in the 45's. Note that these had imprints of both "Eversharp" in script and the Parker halo logo as well as the Parker influenced Eversharp logo in the curved greek-style E on the clip.

These are not seen too often in the wild and seem to be unappreciably ignored by many.

Posted Image

By the way, the goldtone on the clip is just bad lighting from my famous Hotel Bathroom Studio. It is not goldtone; it's chrome color.

Best,
Mike Kirk

Mike Kirk

(~==]=====]]
Penfindum Restorum

Memberpca_logo100x100_zps688ac2a8.png NAWCCLogo_zps4a922f0b.jpg

#5 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:57 PM

Mike,

Nice find! Your pencil is shown on page S (not listed in the index) of the 1960 Parker parts list that Bill Acker made available several years ago and came in black, red, green, grey, light blue, and dark blue.

http://www.billspens...l/1960parts.htm

No Big E ballpoints in this list; no Parker 45 ballpoints, also. No Parker 45 ballpoints in the 1961 catalog, either.

http://billspens.com...61catalogss.htm

Matt

#6 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 01:03 AM

Mike Kirk and I were discussing the P-E Point *7 earlier and I couldn't remember how we know this to be the model name. P-E parts are in the 1962 Parker parts list, but not the Point *7, and they are not shown at all in the 1964 list (Bill Acker's reprints). We both missed this $5.99 ebay item that answers the question w/o a catalog:

Red plush box
Posted Image

Corner of the plastic lid
Posted Image

Label on the back of the box.
Posted Image

I think I'll track down the buyer and ask if there's a date code somewhere on the box.

#7 Mike Kirk

Mike Kirk

journeyman

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:03 AM

Label on the back of the box.
Posted Image

I think I'll track down the buyer and ask if there's a date code somewhere on the box.

Yes, Matt.....that label on the back sure confirms a long time question regarding the Point *7. Nice catch even though we were a little too late. :rolleyes:

Mike Kirk

(~==]=====]]
Penfindum Restorum

#8 Ierph

Ierph

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:20 AM

I have a tip-wic - All the parts are interchangeable with the Parker 45.

#9 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 28 October 2012 - 04:38 AM

Parker also made Eversharp in Australia as well, only ever seen one though. The 45 like one and it had the red/blk converter US made irc.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#10 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 03:16 PM

The buyer of the above Gift Set replied that he was unable to find a date code anywhere on the box.

Kullock has several Made in Argentina Eversharp Big E's on ebay. And just like Argentinian Parkers, they differ slightly from US products - the clips are a bit different and the pen cap lacks a metal cap band.

#11 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:38 AM

Well, talk about not politically correct for the NOS Challenger with two ink cartridges; look at the graphics of the "cheap" Scotsman on the left side of the cardboard!

Greg Minuskin
greg@gregminuskin.com
www.gregminuskin.com

#12 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

journeyman

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationShorewood

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:00 PM

Well, talk about not politically correct for the NOS Challenger with two ink cartridges; look at the graphics of the "cheap" Scotsman on the left side of the cardboard!

Greg Minuskin
greg@gregminuskin.com
www.gregminuskin.com

Thanks for pointing that out Greg. Here they went dis-respecting my people
Jerry Adair (note the name ending in "air" a true Scotsman

#13 Mike Kirk

Mike Kirk

journeyman

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

Greg Minuskin
greg@gregminuskin.com
www.gregminuskin.com

Jerry, I'd say you don't look like that guy at all. Of course, I've never seen your legs or you in a kilt. :D

Regards,
Mike Kirk (pronounced Keeeeerrrk when in Scotland)

Mike Kirk

(~==]=====]]
Penfindum Restorum

#14 Jerry Adair

Jerry Adair

journeyman

• Members
  • 305 posts
  • LocationShorewood

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

Greg Minuskin
greg@gregminuskin.com
www.gregminuskin.com

Jerry, I'd say you don't look like that guy at all. Of course, I've never seen your legs or you in a kilt. :D
According to my wife "legs to die for"
Jerry

Regards,
Mike Kirk (pronounced Keeeeerrrk when in Scotland)

#15 LedZepGirl

LedZepGirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:04 AM

Right now I'm really not liking 10,000s, I have a cream one (probably white at one point in history) that's clogged really bad. It's been through multiple soaks and still no water will flow through it. Posted Image I pulled one of those carts that they came packaged with out of it and that ink will not dissolve in ammonia, instead it peels off like dried paint and left purple stains that are not going anywhere inside of the section.

At least your photo (uppermost pen in uppermost photo) shows what's inside that dog. Do you know if there is any way of disassembling the nib and feed without ruining the pen?

Speaking of the ball point model, I think my grandparents still have some of them laying around in drawers.
>>>My Blog<<<

#16 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:49 AM

The nib and feed in the 10,000 are friction fit. But if yours is ink clogged you'd need to be able to pull straight out without twisting to avoid breaking the feed. Instead, try soaking in dilute ammonia solution or Higgins or Rapidoeze pen cleaner. If you use pen cleaner, put it away somewhere and forget about it for several days to a week. Once you get the nib/feed out, continue soaking for a while. Bulb syringe full of water shoved over the back end of the section will also flush it once you get things loosened up. When you put it back together, note the orientation of the nib/feed to the angled section seems backwards compared to all the other Parker Eversharps.

#17 LedZepGirl

LedZepGirl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

I'm trying something I've never done before, filled a cartridge with pen cleaner and put it inside the aforementioned 10,000 and I'm letting it sit nib down (with the cap on of course) and allowing gravity to do its thing. In a week I'll check to see if any progress has been made and maybe give the pen another bath.
>>>My Blog<<<

#18 parkercollector.com

parkercollector.com

journeyman

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

Here's an old overview:
http://parkercollect...-eversharp.html

Posted Image

#19 Mags

Mags

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationAjax, ON Canada

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

I have a NOS Eversharp with a flex nib from 1952 I purchased from Peyton Street Pens. The gold flex nib is like butter. I love the pen as part of my humble collection.
Rob Maguire (Call me M or Mags) I use a fountain pen and a blackberry playbook.

#20 Baz666

Baz666

journeyman

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 23 December 2012 - 01:04 PM

Hi,
Here is a little more Eversharp stuff to peruse.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Happy Holidays
Paul.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users