20 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 18 May 2011 - 06:07 PM

I picked up an amazing and rare Wahl Eversharp Doric (circa ~ 1932) at the May 2011 Chicago Pen Show. That photo will follow, but I've expanded this discussion to discuss pens that have particular cachet among advanced collectors and perhaps among collectors in general. While there might not be rules to such things, there is context to learn. Those of you who do not go to pen shows and sit and chat with seasoned players might find some interesting notions here. Or... maybe not ;)

This tale builds to the latest "Happy David" pen find. Among the following images, the snake pen is not mine. The others are from my collection.

-----

I grabbed a few pens at the Chi Show (May 2011) for my personal collection, and nearly 100 for the Vacumania website. One of the few keepers is a very special Wahl. I really don't need more pens at home, but until I cease to collect, no doubt each year a few new ones will have to stay.

There are old pens that either in casual or advanced collecting circles-- or in both circles-- carry great cachet. They are special. That specialness is recognized by seasoned collectors, independent of whether that collector even wants to own said pen.

It can be hard to pin down a single factor at root. Appealing color, rare model, strange trim variation, uncatalogued status, particularly large or small size, rarity, and attention paid to said pen during the early days of the hobby all contribute elements that can quicken the collector's pulse, when he meets said pen. Feel free to add some factors :)

A confluence of these factors can transcend even would-be objective analysis leaving us with a pen that makes us say, perhaps, "Yeep!". Hmmm, maybe time for an article on pens that make us say Yeep!

Not to dive into semantic debate, but these pens are more than just individual "grail" or "dream" pens that catch individual fancy. There is a hobby gestalt factor in play, even if no pen cited has *universal* recognition as the "ultimate" pen from make, model, era, etc.

The Parker Snake is one such pen. Less rare and in some cases less valuable than other overlay Parkers and indeed less rare and sometimes less valuable today than snake pens from other brands, its early use by Pen Fancier's Club and its iconic look give it perhaps disproportionate status today, perhaps more so for newer collectors than for those steeped in Parker overlays.

Posted Image

The oversized model in Roseglow of Sheaffer's Balance often is viewed as king of that series. The color is scarce, though perhaps not the most scarcely seen OS color-- one can argue that the mottled gray/black Grey Pearl lever filler is at least as tough. Certainly there are variants (often off catalogue) that are far more rare than the generic OS Rosie. I have a bunch of double and triple cap-band OS pens that dwarf the rarity of simple Roseglow. But-- and I witnessed this again most recently at the Chi Show even as a couple Rosie OS's traded hands among long time collectors-- there is a certain reverence attached to the Roseglow Balance OS, a reverence that permeates collectable pendom.

I recall chatting by phone with Paul Erano in my early days in the hobby after passing on a Roseglow OS I'd spotted in the wild (yeah, really), that was utterly trashed and was asking (pre negotiation) $200. After his initial expressions of doubt that I'd seen an actual Roseglow OS in a hole-in-wall antiques shop (hey, I was still even pre hack-amateur-newbie), Paul softly advised that I might wish to grab the pen, that such pens were... hard to find. I passed, and in retrospect am content with that, as this Rosie had been beaten to the point that it likely was not worth $200 (really), but the flavor of the conversation about Roseglow left its mark.

Posted Image

Parker's Vacumatics with the "Vacumatic Cap-band", even with 25 pens and pencils in a range of colors and models, has a bit of this flavor. Anyone who knows Parker feels that wee tingle when one of these appears, even though there are rarer and more esoteric variants of the Vac to be had.

Posted Image

Certainly though, if there is an ultimate Parker Vacumatic for collectors, it is the solid two-tone gold Imperial Coronet, which is another key pen for a series that I've managed to obtain of late. Really, with the Imperial Coronet, my collecting has peaked. It's all down hill from here. But that find is a story for another day. I will share with you a rare peek at this monster pen, the Parker Vacumatic Imperial Coronet.

Posted Image

Within the last year I posted what might be the "ultimate" Wahl, recognizing the inevitable nitpicking to follow. To finesse the discussion, one might argue for its status as ultimate plastic Wahl or ultimate flat-top plastic Wahl, and so forth. It is the uncatalogued OS flat-top Gold-Seal "Deco Band" pen in the color Wahl called Flamingo (an oxblood like blue-veined magenta). The pen gives palpitations to Wahl collectors. It has overwhelming rarity (it is doubtful that major collectors combined can identify 5 examples in the hobby), size, beauty, and off-catalogue status; it ultimately breeds a synergistic "oomph" factor that transcends even the integrated import of its individual charms. One can debate if it "THE" monster pen of Wahldom. Certainly other off-catalogue pens appear, Wahl offered solid-gold pens that cost far more in the day than a "mere" Deco-band, pens which today are scarce and valuable too. Even if we limit to the flat-top plastic era, the pure orange (off-USA-catalogue) flat-top Deco Band meant for Denmark is close to rarity of the Flamingo, and there are rumors of an intact single Wahl Deco Band done in Coral.

Here is my amazing Wahl flat-top, the OS "Deco Band" in uncatalogued Flamingo celluloid

Posted Image

As we stay with the Wahl theme, we can consider the next Wahl series, Equi-Poised, and its "Yeep!" specimens. I'd guess at the off-USA-catalogue pure "Duofold Orange" pens meant for the Danish market. These blow away rarity for any catalogued USA color, offer a color better known by far from Parker, and offer the only non-black solid color found in this series. On the other hand, I have seen one off-catalogue Equi-Poised done in earlier (flat-top era) Lapis Blue. Does that one trump the orange Equi-Poised? Who knows? It has the rarity factor and visual appeal, but is it not well known enough to have that wide-spread "Yeep!" factor? I don't know. This is esoterica. Maybe even the orange 'Poised is not so well known in general. Certainly we are beyond Snakes and Vac-Bands here. I am happy to have in my collection one of the three or so orange Equi-Poised pens I've seen.

Posted Image

However-- you knew there'd be a "however", right?-- Wahl's Doric saw much longer production- pretty much the entire 1930's- and has a wider collecting base (I assert) than Equi-Poised. It gets enough attention that the visually impressive, off-catalogue, and rare pens have more widespread recognition. And, even if such pens did not have widespread recognition, we learn about pens from posts such as this one... at least I hope so.

Doric was introduced after the flat-top era and after the Equi-Poised model. It featured a new line of colors not seen before (save for black, of course) and dispensed with classic older colors such as Lapis, Jade, Black/Pearl and others.

However, known to those who know are the rare Black-and-Pearl Dorics, pens done in color well known from many manufacturers and well used by Wahl itself, at least prior to the introduction of Doric.

I've seen perhaps 3-4 Dorics in this color, during my 13 years playing with old pens. Photographed at least one, maybe two. Rumor has it that these were released as award pens for successful Wahl salesmen. I cannot comment on that. Not sure of size range, but possible this was made in several sizes. Despite the occasional off-catalogue cap-band found in Doric and despite some fairly scarce rebadged pens made for Montgomery Ward and sold as Gold Bond, the black/pearl Doric has rarity and significance on its side. It is the "Oomph!" inducing (or is that "Yeep!") pen from the Doric series.

At Chicago, I stumbled across the first example of this pen I've seen for sale, offered by a long time collector who appeared at the show for the first time in years. Color not perfect, but not bad, the pen is fairly clean save for couple small cap-lip hairlines. I tend to eschew pens with lip hairlines, but I made exception for this one. I suspect I'll probably handle another black/pearl Doric down the pike, but there is fair chance that even if I manage to collect pens another forty years, i will never have another chance to own one. So, what could I do? I bought it ;)

This is my most recent "Happy David" pen.

Posted Image

This post meanders a bit, mixing the "what makes a great/key pen" into "look what I found". I'm curious how others see these key pens, or if they see different keys out there.

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 Jiffypens

Jiffypens

journeyman

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 09:59 PM

WOW! I have seen the Wahl Flamingo in a book once before, but your pictures really bring out the color! It is beautiful!

#3 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:51 PM

Dunno Doc I... Yeah everyone dreams of a snake, and an OS roseglow is a stunning pen. Heck, a vac banded vac is no slouch... But you got the vac coronet, that deco band flamingo, and the orange fellow, right there you got three pens that fall into a class of their own. Those are three pens that are at a whole nuther level of collecting. Even the pearl and black, for the scarcity, IMHO struggles to fit in with those three. Great pen, don't get me wrong, but I think I knew of one a few years back, and maybe even a shorter model, much similar. Those other three, I would consider made of unobtainium. I think what separates them, is when you go from being able to the possibility of being able to find a good example within a year or less, snake, roseglow, vac band, to lottery winning odds of ever locating a coronet, flamingo deco, or the orange fellow, you start to see the difference. I would love to find any one of those pens on a given weekend in the wild, don't get me wrong, even the pearl and black Doric, even with a hairline, I would even be happy with a name engraved.

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:11 PM

Dunno Doc I... Yeah everyone dreams of a snake, and an OS roseglow is a stunning pen. Heck, a vac banded vac is no slouch... But you got the vac coronet, that deco band flamingo, and the orange fellow, right there you got three pens that fall into a class of their own. Those are three pens that are at a whole nuther level of collecting. Even the pearl and black, for the scarcity, IMHO struggles to fit in with those three. Great pen, don't get me wrong, but I think I knew of one a few years back, and maybe even a shorter model, much similar. Those other three, I would consider made of unobtainium.

I think what separates them, is when you go from being able to the possibility of being able to find a good example within a year or less, snake, roseglow, vac band, to lottery winning odds of ever locating a coronet, flamingo deco, or the orange fellow, you start to see the difference. I would love to find any one of those pens on a given weekend in the wild, don't get me wrong, even the pearl and black Doric, even with a hairline, I would even be happy with a name engraved.

Hi Rick,

An eloquent and superb assessment, even if we might nitpick the details of which pens fall into which class (though I think you are spot on). I think in a short paragraph or so, you convey what I struggled to illustrate, the notion of a witch's brew of scarcity and significance that gives certain pens revered status. The trick of course is to define how large the circle of collectors must be who know about the darn things, in order for the pen to count. And, I guess it isn't really about which one pen from a given make or era is the most prestigious (eg. arguing about uncatalogued Lapis vs uncatalogued orange 'Poised), but rather is about the idea that there are simply revered pens out there, pens that cause knowledgeable collectors and even jaded dealers who've handled so many pens to do a bit of a double take.

If I use this thread as basis for an article, I will certainly incorporate your view.

Thanks

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:23 PM

Note that the cap band is a three piece band, a departure from the norm with this cap band (I call them Type I, the original flagship line). The companion pencil would have been the "split band" example on display at my pencil museum. See the Eversharp page at www.jonathanveley.com, frames 13 and 14.

This is consistent with my hypothesis that these were made using leftover rod stock from the Equipoised line, either before the company had settled on the catalogued colors of this model (probably to test out the tooling or to just see how they looked) or simply to use up what was on hand. Although the rumor or theory about being given away to salesman is just that, it would make sense for the company to "find a use" for these pens by giving them away. After all, the Doric was being touted as "all new" in their advertising blitz of 1931, and it wouldn't do to sell them made in one of the same old colors......

SNIP

I suspect Mr. T.D. Schlub advances the conversation and moves it to another relevant level of analysis, as cap-bands on early Dorics and related pens probably could use further exploration. I lack time to shoot a "cap-band" side-by-side. but have images that can serve grossly. Believe I have the book he cites and will have to look it up later. That said, I will offer a caveat or two to the hypothesized "using up rodstock" model.... later.

So, the early Dorics in high line trim had a one part cap-band, but the rare Black/Pearl (Waterman's Nacre) has a three parter. Cool. I'd noticed the band looked a tad different, but had not lined it up with other pens since returning home. I know the catalogued look for Doric, but I am not as reflexively familiar with Doric nuances as I am with some other penss. Let's look at 'em so we know what we're talking about.

First Generation 1932+ Wahl Doric high line pens.

Posted Image

My off catalogue and frankly rare Black-and-Pearl Wahl Doric (Gold Seal, roller clip, high line) has three separate pieces, as TD Schlub mentions. Clearly there is plastic between the middle band and its top and bottom neighbors. No metal connection as seen above.

Posted Image

This is good "pen learnin' " for me.

So now, I'll offer a challenge to TD Schlub and to other readers, as this very thread made me aware of the trim style linkage I'l now discuss.

Suppose one found a pen with just the middle "diamond cut-out" band, lacking the flanking thin cap-bands above and below, which in my newly acquired Black/Pearl Doric are separate rings and which in most early high line Dorics are linked to the main diamond cut-out band as in the pic with several Dorics just above.

What model/variant would THAT be?

I know the answer. If no one figures it out, I'll post the answer. But, this might be the first thread to discuss that style connection.

regards

David

Posted Image

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:29 PM

Gold Bond.

----
But Gold Bond bands were wider. See Frame 18 on the Eversharp page at my mechanical pencil museum. It's the one next to a Doric with a Skyline derby (what what what??)

Good call. Agree band girth is bit different , but the look/style clearly is connected.

Note too the mix of generational features. To my eye the plastic looks like first generation Kashmir and Morooco for the pens below, but with plunger filler and transparency that are more consistent with 2nd Generation Dorics (never done in these colors with barrel clarity). Cap band is derived from 1st generation style.

These seem not just to be case of left over rod stock used to blow out pens with a rebadging. Wahl never used for Doric, proper, transparent versions of Morocco and Kashmir. Even if I'm mistaken regarding the color shown being exactly the early colors I cite, it is interesting that these colors were never then used by Wahl on 2nd gen Dorics. The red pen really does look like Morocco. The green pen perhaps lacks the black veining seen on Kashmir, but I'm not certain.

Here be some rebadged Wahl Eversharp Dorics a Gold Bond "Doric".

Posted Image

Posted Image

regards-

d

Posted Image

#7 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 10:24 PM

Although I would be as happy as anyone to have a solid reference for the black and pearl Dorics' use as salesmen's rewards, I would not be so quick to dismiss this bit of old-time collector lore as unfounded. As we have recently discovered with Vacumatics and the "jeweler's band", sometimes this penlore proves to be solidly-founded indeed.

I don't think Wahl ran these pens off to use up old celluloid stocks, since the Equi-Poised remained in production alongside the Doric and there would have been little reason to divert black and pearl stock to the Doric line when it could have been used for a catalogued model. The scarcity of the black and pearl Dorics plus their unique cap band design suggests a deliberate intent to make something special and distinctive.

#8 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 20 May 2011 - 12:52 AM

I wasn't there, so I don't know what they did with them or why. All I'm saying is it doesn't make much sense to hand these out as a salesman's reward:

"Mr. Smith, you have done a fantastic job selling thousands of our new Dorics in their 5 brilliant new colors. As a reward, here's a pen made in last year's color."

"Uh... gee thanks boss.... can I get one in the neat new colors, too? No? OK, can I have the cheese slicer instead?"

In the 1930s, pens were commodities, not collector's items. Show me an all gold-fill doric imprinted with "salesman of the year" and I'll bite, but a flagship line pen in a soon-to-be-retired color?

Not that Wahl knew how to treat their salesmen right. Just ask Charles Keeran, right?

Like I say, I wasn't there so I don't know. And I'm really not sure it matters. They are simply way cool.

Hey T.D.,

The flip side of casually embracing grand (or grandiose) tales to explain weird pen finds, is being casually dismissive with hand-waving condescension of those weird pen finds. Either view should be approached cautiously. Sometimes tales turn out to be true, sometimes dismissal is warranted, but assuming either position should not be done trivially.

Perhaps the loudest proponent of "stuff is just stuff" (and even he cheerful recognized caveats to his sweeping rants) was Frank Dubiel who on the old accp used to yell- to paraphrase- "They're just old pens. They just used up what they had on hand. They weren't worried about future collectors worrying about anomalies and frankenpens". This stance is... not new.

There is observational evidence that Parker kept spare rod stock at length, marking it with date codes at time of use. Certainly any pen maker that offered "lifetime warranty" or even warranty of shorter duration would benefit by maintaining spare stock for caps and barrels. And, as David N. has noted, and as the 1932 catalogue supports, Wahl continued to market black/pearl Equi-Poised even into the Doric era. First generation Doric only ran about 3 years iirc, with 2nd gen pens showing up by 1935. I have doubts that Wahl made this black/pearl Doric routinely, with it then simply running out of the color in a couple weeks.

If black/pearl Doric was routinely manufactured even for a couple months (keeping in mind there is no evidence Wahl was running out of that color in that time, and still was selling Equi-Poised in that color as routine manufacture), I'd expect to see far more pens today, as even two-three months production would get close to ten percent of the production era for Doric. This color is NOT found even ten percent of any other color done for the entire run of first gen Dorics. Yeah, there are caveats. While David N. and you also pointed out the apparently unique cap-band found on this pen, a red flag, I note that Wahl sometimes used different cap-band patterns on different color pens (think Rhomboid pen on OS Brazilian Green flat-top).

I don't have hard evidence for the "salesman award" model, and I left that point open in my initial post. But something about this pen screams for limited production/context. The pen shown has a story with it relating to Thomas Edison estate (he died late 1931). I will have to dig up that tale from seller to see if makes sense. Whether for limited market or as award or for another use, I am hardly sold on "they just used up trace quantity of residual rod stock" as explanation.

regards

david

Posted Image

#9 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:40 AM

All I'm saying is it doesn't make much sense to hand these out as a salesman's reward:

"Mr. Smith, you have done a fantastic job selling thousands of our new Dorics in their 5 brilliant new colors. As a reward, here's a pen made in last year's color."

I disagree. Here are two alternate ways of looking at it:

"Mr. Smith, you have done a fantastic job selling our new Equi-Poised pens. As a reward, here's a pen that we will be introducing shortly; it will be called the 'Doric', but yours is special -- different in color and trim from any to be released to the general public."

"Mr. Smith, you have done a fantastic job selling our new Dorics. As a reward, we would like to present you with a very special Doric, unique in both color and trim, and distinct from any sold to the general public."

In the 1930s, pens were commodities, not collector's items. Show me an all gold-fill doric imprinted with "salesman of the year" and I'll bite, but a flagship line pen in a soon-to-be-retired color?

Some pens were commodities, but top-line pens were luxury goods. They were widely used, along with watches, for presentations and awards. As such, they had significance beyond their value as ordinary consumer goods. I also think that the argument that pens were not viewed as collectors' items back then would also suggest that we are thinking too much like modern-day collectors with a bad case of hindsight bias when assuming that a salesman would see black and pearl as passé at a time when it was still a standard and well-established color in the Wahl lineup.

#10 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 20 May 2011 - 04:16 AM

I don't think I was being condescending by saying I don't believe the salesman award theory makes sense.

I no more believe you were being condescending than I believe that those who entertain the notion of an award pen are casually embracing the grandiose. Really, this isn't all about you ;)

I do take the comparison to Frank Dubiel as a compliment, though.

You were not being compared to Frank, though there is charm in perceiving compliments from random factors around oneself, I well agree. Rather, I was providing to readers what I consider the historical pendom context for the idea of dismissing oddities as "just stuff".

In conversations of this sort, one must lay out generalities in order to explore specifics. Those generalities are not personal barbs and are not personal compliments.

I know the Equipoised was produced simultaneously with the Type I Dorics. I'm only suggesting that this Equipoised color was not "new," and everything Wahl was doing with the Doric emphasized the newness of the flagship line.

It is good that you know this. It doesn't matter to me so much if you did or did not know it prior to it being pointed out here. Certainly it is better for us to share what we know with many readers (does this board even have many readers yet?) who might not know this. Again, I point this out these details to provide context to the analysis of the pen. Really, I find very interesting the discussion of what significance this pen had for Wahl.

I simply believe the more likely explanation is that Wahl was trying out the new tooling on existing stock at the very beginning, either deliberately (prototype) or because someone on the floor didn't get the memo that they weren't supposed to use the black and pearl rod stock. That's because I always prefer simpler explanations in the absence of evidence for a more elaborate one.

This is a bit of a shift from what I see in your original comments, but I see merit in the view, though it is perhaps odd then we don't see other pre-Doric colors appear or other pens with that cap-band. Still, no rule says Wahl had to use other colors in early play.

However, I point out that your explanation in that paragraph is not simpler than the salesman award hypothesis. Both seem quite straightforward and create little hardship for the production line.

I think it's very early, very rare and very special Doric, and I compliment you on the find. I would like nothing better than to hear a great story about how they came to be, since I have 2 of the pencils and it wouldn't hurt me any if its origins enhanced their value even more.

Thanks. I'm comfortable with the scarcity of the pen and if I had been wrong in that view, that would be fine too. I'm not seeking validation for the purchase (though unexpected validation rarely causes pain). I'm more interested in stirring chat about it and toying with notions to explain the pen... which we seem to be doing.

Like I said, I wasn't there so I don't know. From the sound of it, no one else does, either. So for now, it is what it is.

That's why we explore. Explanations sometimes do turn up. I do need to get the full story (admittedly anecdotal) from the seller.

regards

david

Posted Image

#11 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:43 PM

If we could get back to the discussion, please?

I simply believe the more likely explanation is that Wahl was trying out the new tooling on existing stock at the very beginning, either deliberately (prototype) or because someone on the floor didn't get the memo that they weren't supposed to use the black and pearl rod stock. That's because I always prefer simpler explanations in the absence of evidence for a more elaborate one.

It is good to remember that we are (absent emergence of new evidence) dealing in probabilities here. But let me also point out that we are not in a court of law, and that for the mindful historian, hearsay evidence cannot be summarily dismissed: too often, all we have to go on is oral tradition, and though it must be used with appropriate caution, we ignore it at our peril.

Regarding the "more likely explanation" above, I do think it quite possible that the black and pearl Dorics were made deliberately at the very beginning, whether as a special run for presentation, or for test-marketing trials. I do not think they were made to try out the tooling; if anything, one would have started with plain black -- which was much cheaper than the multicolored celluloids. Nor would I consider them prototypes, since there are far too many of them out there. The lack of Dorics with that particular cap band and in other nonstandard colors is very strong evidence in that regard. The suggestion that the black and pearl was used by accident also doesn't fly, given the unique cap band.

In assessing historical hypotheses, simple explanations are good, but more important is that those explanations make sense.

#12 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 20 May 2011 - 04:15 PM

If we could get back to the discussion, please?

It is good to remember that we are (absent emergence of new evidence) dealing in probabilities here. But let me also point out that we are not in a court of law, and that for the mindful historian, hearsay evidence cannot be summarily dismissed: too often, all we have to go on is oral tradition, and though it must be used with appropriate caution, we ignore it at our peril.

Regarding the "more likely explanation" above, I do think it quite possible that the black and pearl Dorics were made deliberately at the very beginning, whether as a special run for presentation, or for test-marketing trials. I do not think they were made to try out the tooling; if anything, one would have started with plain black -- which was much cheaper than the multicolored celluloids. Nor would I consider them prototypes, since there are far too many of them out there. The lack of Dorics with that particular cap band and in other nonstandard colors is very strong evidence in that regard. The suggestion that the black and pearl was used by accident also doesn't fly, given the unique cap band.

In assessing historical hypotheses, simple explanations are good, but more important is that those explanations make sense.

Verily.

Jon "Schlub" Veley seems disinterested in considering your points or mine regarding the pens, instead crying about mistreatment even as he is given free hand to complain. It is a bit odd that when this Board was announced he emphasized he'd never post here. Yet he seems to enjoy many of the pencil posts, and his material has been welcomed. Ungrateful kids these days, I tells ya ;)

Admin Note: The side thread regarding personal style of posts and responses between The Desperate Schlub and David I has been given its own thread in the Elements of Collecting: Hunting, Valuing and Polemicizing Forum, to allow that discussion to continue while not drowning the pen-related content in this thread. This explains any apparent discontinuity in discussion in this Wahl thread. The discussion between those two can be found at this link

http://fountainpenbo...sion/#entry6029

Meanwhile, please continue on with the Wahl thread.

Regards

Ye Olde Admin (hiding behind the curtain)

As to the pens...

Obviously, I have no hard answer on hand to the reason for production of the black/pearl Doric, but its low prevalence argues against regular production for any significant period, and I have heard the "salesman" hypothesis from couple sources (not to say they didn't all hear from a single prior source, of course). These are far more scarce than say, "Vac Band" Vacumatic- a very short run item- recognizing the caveats present even in such a comparison.

You wrote, from two posts,

Some pens were commodities, but top-line pens were luxury goods. They were widely used, along with watches, for presentations and awards. As such, they had significance beyond their value as ordinary consumer goods. I also think that the argument that pens were not viewed as collectors' items back then would also suggest that we are thinking too much like modern-day collectors with a bad case of hindsight bias when assuming that a salesman would see black and pearl as passé at a time when it was still a standard and well-established color in the Wahl lineup.

snip

I do not think they were made to try out the tooling; if anything, one would have started with plain black -- which was much cheaper than the multicolored celluloids. Nor would I consider them prototypes, since there are far too many of them out there. The lack of Dorics with that particular cap band and in other nonstandard colors is very strong evidence in that regard. The suggestion that the black and pearl was used by accident also doesn't fly, given the unique cap band.

I agree on these points.

While I suspect you do not post words simply looking for casual support/validation, I'll nonetheless provide some mere casual support (!) in this instance. I note too that $8-10 during the Great Depression (based on my casual research) represented up to a couple weeks' salary for many workers. In Canada, the government dole was around $10 per month possibly for a family (book I read few years back on life in the Great Depression there). Pens were not casual purchases at the time. Not toss-away 20¢ items one finds today, even for the cheap items then. The level of retail advertising offered for good pens (how many pens today routinely are found on full page color spreads of national magazines?) is consistent with that notion. Hearsay even from my own elderly family was that a pen was purchased to last... a long time. The presence of high end pens from the era found truly worn out supports this notion.

I wonder how many salesman (either in shops or on road) could readily afford a $10 Doric in the mid 1930's? I wonder how many of the most ardent pen users today owning modern Omas, Pelikan, or Bexley have used or will use the pen until the trim is wholly brassed and the plastic worn enough to erase the imprint.

The fellow who sold me the pen I met for first time, his having skipped pen shows for years. He is very well known to Don Lavin who was very happy to see him at the show, knowing him well from the "old days". You likely would know his name. His story for this pen mentioned the salesman theme, but also cited elements of the Thomas Edison estate (we spoke casually about this at the show, a context that was not cited for many of the well more expensive pens he had for sale. I do note that Edison died in 1931). I do plan to pursue with him. I by no means bought the pen due to the background tale. I've watched these enough during the last decade to know the rarity of them.

Too, I will try at some point to chat with Don, with Cliff and with Syd to see if they have heard the salesman explanation and- perhaps of greater importance- see if they know where they heard it.

-d

Posted Image

#13 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:32 PM

Time to up the ante on the black/pearl Wahl chat.

Here is a shot I edited back in 2005 (will take time to see where the original image was shot) of a military clip uncatalogued (as are all) Wahl Doric in Black/Pearl, but with conventional high-line Doric cap-band, with the flanking pieces to the diamond cut-out connected to the middle band (one cap-band, not three as with my pen).

Posted Image

Here again is my pen with the off-catalogue true triple cap-band (the flanking pieces do not connect to the central band that has the cut outs).

Posted Image

regards

David

Posted Image

#14 ihimlen

ihimlen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 11:54 AM

Seems that these pens are primarily in the black & pearl celluloid but I have also seen about two or three of these Triple Band Gold Seal Dorics in jet black - here is one of these pens (pictured with a standard black Doric pencil):

Posted Image

I always wanted to find out some more details about this type of band but it appears that any info is not existent...
Life is too important to be taken seriously
(Oscar Wilde)

#15 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:56 AM

Seems that these pens are primarily in the black & pearl celluloid but I have also seen about two or three of these Triple Band Gold Seal Dorics in jet black - here is one of these pens (pictured with a standard black Doric pencil):

Posted Image

I always wanted to find out some more details about this type of band but it appears that any info is not existent...

First time I've seen that cap-band on a catalogued Doric color.

I cannot add anything else now. Thanks for sharing :)

david

Posted Image

#16 penpalace

penpalace

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:32 PM

David,

I just came across this thread with the black and pearl Doric pictures. Recently Cliff posted a picture of some pens he had and it led me to an album where he had a picture of an oversized black and pearl Doric. Have you or anyone else come across any other sizes? Anyone care to guess how many Dorics exist in this colour?

#17 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:35 PM

Hi Pearce,

Cliff cited OS. I have Standard. Believe I've seen a short-Standard out there too.

regards

david

Posted Image

#18 penpalace

penpalace

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 27 May 2014 - 09:44 PM

Here is a picture of something I recently acquired. I had never seen another, and any comments would be appreciated.

1doric

#19 penpalace

penpalace

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 05 June 2014 - 12:12 AM

Any of the Wahl experts out there have an option on this pen?

#20 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:07 AM

Hi Pearce,

Looks like the same sort we discuss, but in the small ringtop, that size iirc catalogued in general though not in that color.

regards

d

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users