Photo

What's this model? ( Canadian Sheaffer in WASP shape )

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 29 May 2011 - 09:57 PM

Posted Image

All the details here. Don't recall seeing this one before.

Regards
Hugh

Edit from Admin: Title of thread modified to add "Canadian Sheaffer in WASP Shape" to facilitate subsequent searches.
Hugh Cordingley

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 29 May 2011 - 11:23 PM

All the details here. Don't recall seeing this one before.

Regards
Hugh

Darn funny you should happen to post that...

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:59 AM

Darn funny you should happen to post that...

-d

I believe both Daniel and I have shown an example of this sort on Zoss List. However, the spread below might be the most of these ever shown together.

As fate would have it, the pen Hugh showed will look quite nice next to them ;)

So, look at the pens. To best of my knowledge no one ever has cited documentation for them. But, some of the features should be familiar to collectors of Sheaffer.

Posted Image

regards

David

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#4 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:10 PM

I believe both Daniel and I have shown an example of this sort on Zoss List. However, the spread below might be the most of these ever shown together.

As fate would have it, the pen Hugh showed will look quite nice next to them ;)

So, look at the pens. To best of my knowledge no one ever has cited documentation for them. But, some of the features should be familiar to collectors of Sheaffer.

Posted Image

regards

David

Thanks David, had it not been for the white dot I'd not have even thought them to be Sheaffers!! So are all these Canadian production? From around the end of the '30's, early '40's maybe?.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:23 AM

Thanks David, had it not been for the white dot I'd not have even thought them to be Sheaffers!! So are all these Canadian production? From around the end of the '30's, early '40's maybe?.

Regards
Hugh

All found are Canadian. Shape evokes WASP. The military location clip with top plug evokes some WASP. The clip marking evokes WASP . Exception to some of this being the bottom slender pen (others are standard size) with conventional clip but still WSP-ish shape. Very strange pens. No documentation known or claimed yet. I'm still waiting to find one in red.

-d

Posted Image

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:44 AM

Well, having won that set via ebay, figured I should post an image.

Didn't realize when I shot it that the ferrule had unscrewed from the pencil. Will have to reshoot one of these days.

Gorgeous set. It is quite possible that all colors can be found white dot and non white dot. This is third set I've bought to come in a military / active-service style leather pouch. I wonder if Carmine was made.

Posted Image

regards

David

Posted Image

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 27 June 2011 - 12:09 AM

I've commented that the fascinating thing about the Canadian pens in this thread is that they are done in Sheaffer Balance, proper, plastic with Sheaffer markings, even found as high line pens with white dot and with Lifetime nibs, yet feature a shape and clip/top-piece arrangement that in the USA are found only on Sheaffer 2nd tier sub-brand WASP pens, noting too that WASPS never incorporated Sheaffer's striated plastic.

Figured it was time to illustrate the point :)

Below, left to right:

• Sheaffer Balance, USA production, in conventional striated plastic.
  • Sheaffer something-or-other, Canadian production, in Sheaffer plastic but with shape and clip seen in USA only with sub-brand WASP pens.
  • WASP (W.A. Sheaffer Pen), USA production, with typical WASP shape, clip and plastic color/pattern.
The middle- Canadian- pen combines USA features from high line Balance along with sub-brand 2nd Tier WASP.

Posted Image

regards

David

Posted Image

#8 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:10 PM

Hmmm. None pictured thus far are vac-fils, are they?

#9 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 27 June 2011 - 02:14 PM

Hmmm. None pictured thus far are vac-fils, are they?

I've seen none as plunger-fill, noting I've seen fewer than 7 total.

regards

d

Posted Image

#10 Pen Is Mightier

Pen Is Mightier

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationIn the land of Oz

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:57 PM

What odd looking pens, but they are strangely attractive especially the blue one.

#11 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:10 AM

Here's another one, this one Grey Pearl, a White Dot pen. I do in fact have another set of this sort lying about-- not sure if White Dot or not-- but it's still buried in packed pens from my recent move.

This one turned up at the Ohio Pen Show, November 2011. Funny tale, the set was present, but was broken up with a pencil hunter took the pencil, leaving the pen for me to take when I arrived to peruse the seller's hefty Sheaffer selection.

Shame to break up a set, but not the worst way for it to go.

Posted Image

regards

David

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users