10 replies to this topic

#1 djohannsen

djohannsen

journeyman

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • LocationFredericksburg, VA

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:25 PM

I believe that after William Houston moved from Sioux City to California he produced pens under the name of the "De Fon Pen Co." After more than five years of seeking out Houston-made pens, I've yet to see an example of a De Fon pen. In fact, I know nothing of the company (for example, how it got its name). So, to get things rolling here, does anyone know anything of this company (its history or who other principals may have been)? Does anyone have any examples of these pens (a photo post would be most welcome)? It would really make my day if anyone had anything to share regarding this (lesser known) pen maker.

Dave

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:38 PM

I believe that after William Houston moved from Sioux City to California he produced pens under the name of the "De Fon Pen Co." After more than five years of seeking out Houston-made pens, I've yet to see an example of a De Fon pen. In fact, I know nothing of the company (for example, how it got its name). So, to get things rolling here, does anyone know anything of this company (its history or who other principals may have been)? Does anyone have any examples of these pens (a photo post would be most welcome)? It would really make my day if anyone had anything to share regarding this (lesser known) pen maker.

Dave

Wow, that's definitely getting thing rolling... uphill ;)

I fear I've never seen a De Fon. But, will be curious to see if we can draw one out...

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 djohannsen

djohannsen

journeyman

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:36 PM

Wow, that's definitely getting thing rolling... uphill

Thought that I may as well establish my reputation as a troublemaker right from the start...

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:20 PM

Thought that I may as well establish my reputation as a troublemaker right from the start...

You'll fit in well ;)

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#5 philm

philm

journeyman

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:07 PM

Hey Dave (and Dave),

I mentioned this over on another board, but may as well repeat it here for others sake, but an avid Houston collector shared that he went to California a few years ago and found several De Fon's. If I remember correctly, they were quite colorful celluloids, but I do not remember the filling type. I would love to find one.

Phil ( a Houston, Snapfil, Jiffy and I suppose De Fon fan)

#6 djohannsen

djohannsen

journeyman

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:59 AM

Hey Dave (and Dave),

I mentioned this over on another board, but may as well repeat it here for others sake, but an avid Houston collector shared that he went to California a few years ago and found several De Fon's. If I remember correctly, they were quite colorful celluloids, but I do not remember the filling type. I would love to find one.

Phil ( a Houston, Snapfil, Jiffy and I suppose De Fon fan)

Phil:

It's good to hear that you've caught the Houston bug (though I know that you've always been a MN pen fan). If you ever have the chance, I would love to ehar about your Houston collection. Mine has been stagnant for a couple of years, but I have a couple of nice pens (a Snapfil demonstrator with cut-outs and a gold fill full-overlay Snapfil are the high lights).

Dave

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:44 PM

Here's a monster Houston from my photo archives. Pen about 6". Biiiig Houston

regards

david

Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 djohannsen

djohannsen

journeyman

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:12 PM

Here's a monster Houston from my photo archives. Pen about 6". Biiiig Houston

That's bringin' the Houston love! Though I don't have a vest pocket to carry one of these pens (in fact, I don't even own a stinkin' vest), I do love the distinctive shape of Houston pens - they are certainly singular in the vintage pen world.

Dave

#9 philm

philm

journeyman

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:20 PM

Phil:

It's good to hear that you've caught the Houston bug (though I know that you've always been a MN pen fan). If you ever have the chance, I would love to ehar about your Houston collection. Mine has been stagnant for a couple of years, but I have a couple of nice pens (a Snapfil demonstrator with cut-outs and a gold fill full-overlay Snapfil are the high lights).

Dave

Dave,

Here are a couple ~ I fear you may have seen a few of them before...

A large Tracy example (cool double thread eyedropper mechanism)
Posted Image

A large Sioux City example
Posted Image

with a huge #7 nib
Posted Image

There are many more photos on my blog (search = Houston) of more pens, boxes, and ephemera related to Houston.

Have a great 4th of July weekend.

Phil

#10 Kirchh

Kirchh

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:47 PM

Dave

Here's a scrap of data you might find interesting:

Canadian DEFON pen co patent

--Daniel

#11 djohannsen

djohannsen

journeyman

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:05 PM

Here's a scrap of data you might find interesting:

Canadian DEFON pen co patent

--Daniel

Thanks Daniel. The claims in the Canadian patent are the same as US Patent 1,723,171, verbatim. Since the mechansim was already protected under US patent for three years at the the time the Canadian patent was issued (the US patent was filed in 1926 and issued in 1929), can one reasonably infer that Houston tried to enter the Canadian market about this time (i.e., that US patents did not provide protection in Canada, at that time)? Perhaps the "last gasp" of Defon, or evidence that Defon was doing reasonably well in the US?

Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users