Photo

Solid Gold Cap 1940's Crest Masterpiece. Frankenpen?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:56 AM

I bought the set below, eyes open. Quite decent caps with two small dings on pen cap. Not perfect but better than many, perhaps better than most. Integrate that as you will. However, also I offer the possibility of frankepen. Could this thing be a mix? And, while I generally dislike parts mixes and am unhappy when parts mixes are shown without recognition, this case is a bit different.

The set is a 1942-45 Sheaffer Triumph Crest Masterpiece. Solid gold caps. Brown striped barrels with white dote on butt of pen (as expected for metal capped pens from this era), with no price code on barrel. Most pens this era have price codes, though plenty turn up sans code. The basic all plastic Triumph has "1250" for $12.50. The Crest with gold-filled metal cap "1750". Autograph with hallmarked gold 14k capband with plastic cap (black only) iirc "2000", the Crest Masterpiece (this pen) with solid gold cap "5000". The solid gold (cap barrel) Masterpiece did not carry price markings but probably was a $100 item.

Take peek at this sweet set. Consider what might make it a frankenpen/pencil. I'll provide details after the image.

Posted Image

The question is... should the set have black barrels?

Most Sheaffer pens with alloy gold caps are shown with black barrels.

TBOMK, we have no 1942-5 catalogues for Sheaffer to give us a formal sense of then current production. My recollection of the retrospective 1947 Sheaffer Workbook (perhaps our best source of info for 1940's Sheaffer pens) is that Crest Masterpiece is not shown with brown barrels.

So, if the brown barrels are not original pen, what could be there source?

Well, brown "1750" barrels with white dot on butt are known for the gold-filled cap Crest set. Brown "1250" barrels (but with no white dot on blind cap) are known from base pen Triumph. Again, pens are known from all lines that lack price codes, and my pen lacks price codes, so I cannot prove it must be a donor barrel from Crest, or even from Triumph with blind cap swapped or white dot installed after fact.

I note that the set came from (as best I can tell) a non pen person.

What could prove the set original and factory correct? Nothing now it seems, though if the pen had a Crest Masterpiece price code on the brown barrel, that "5000" marking would leave us case closed.

So, we seem to lack absolute proof that 1942-5 Triumph family did not make a brown Crest Masterpiece though context argues against it. We lack proof of alternative donor barrel. Still...

The next issue would be the significance of the franked-up status of the set.

The barrel is the minor portion of value to this set. Black barrels can be fairly easily had (at least at my stage in the hobby), either found without price code or with code imprint likely removable easily with heat to make a "correct" black set.

Later 1945-8 celluoid Autograph (solid gold cap band on plastic cap) pens are known in brown. We lack information to prove (though I'm amenable to counterpoint) that this pen could not have been issued as shown.

At least as likely as full factory original status-- indeed far more likely he case- is an early swap. Perhaps the buyer wanted the $80 set, didn't want black barrels, and was accommodated by the shop owner, pulling barrels from a Crest.

In this case, even if the pen truly is a frankenpen, and as long as the possibility is recognized, I... just... don't... mind.

The value is in the caps. I can "correct" the pen if I must. I like the look of the gold caps on the brown barrels. Sheaffer did use solid gold on brown pens (at least for the 1945-7 Autograph with gold cap band).

I was happy to buy the set knowing all of the above.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 haywoody

haywoody

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:28 PM

Hi David,

I have a few data points to add...

I bought a Masterpiece set of the same vintage at the Raleigh show - black barrels, white dot on blind cap, NO price code. I'm quite sure they are original as matched because the caps and barrel have the same name engraved on them.

I have 5 standard issue Crest Triumph pens in brown with white dot at various locations. Two of the pens are sans price code, all others marked 1500. Caps of course swap out perfectly with a Masterpiece. So the pen bodies were definitely available for an early swap. In fact, I just made myself a set in brown just like yours. Posted Image

Unfortunately my data only shows that set could be original or could be an early swap, as you speculated.

In any case, very nice set. I was looking forward to bidding on it and was sorry to see it disappear. Posted Image

/Woody

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 21 June 2011 - 12:38 PM

Hi David,

I have a few data points to add...

I bought a Masterpiece set of the same vintage at the Raleigh show - black barrels, white dot on blind cap, NO price code. I'm quite sure they are original as matched because the caps and barrel have the same name engraved on them.

I have 5 standard issue Crest Triumph pens in brown with white dot at various locations. Two of the pens are sans price code, all others marked 1500. Caps of course swap out perfectly with a Masterpiece. So the pen bodies were definitely available for an early swap. In fact, I just made myself a set in brown just like yours. Posted Image

Unfortunately my data only shows that set could be original or could be an early swap, as you speculated.

In any case, very nice set. I was looking forward to bidding on it and was sorry to see it disappear. Posted Image

/Woody

Yeah, black barrels are the expected finding. Just not sure we have enough info to make brown barrels for this era fershure incorrect ;)

Didn't matter though.

Disappear? Most odd....

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#4 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:15 PM

Is there a price code on the pencil consistent w/ a Crest Masterpiece?

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:04 AM

Is there a price code on the pencil consistent w/ a Crest Masterpiece?

Didn't see one at first glance. Probably should look more closely.

d

Posted Image

#6 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 08:14 PM

Do '38-'41 catalogs offer any clues? Squinting at Bill Acker's thumbnails - http://billspens.com...e_sc/page4.html - there appear to be Masterpieces (solid 14K cap & barrel) and Crests (GF caps). Was there a Crest Masterpiece (14K cap) before 1942? GF Crests came w/ black or brown stripe barrel from '38 til the end of the celluloid era.

The '38, '39, and '40 catalogs separate the Masterpiece from the Crest either on different pages or with labling large enough to deduce even on the thumbnails. The Honor Masterpiece pops up here and there. The 1941 catalog has them all on a 2 page spread labeled "Masterpieces - all that the name implies" with the Crests, including a brown stripe Lady, on the far right. Is there a Crest Masterpiece in the '41 catalog?

#7 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 June 2011 - 09:29 PM

Do '38-'41 catalogs offer any clues? Squinting at Bill Acker's thumbnails - http://billspens.com...e_sc/page4.html - there appear to be Masterpieces (solid 14K cap & barrel) and Crests (GF caps). Was there a Crest Masterpiece (14K cap) before 1942? GF Crests came w/ black or brown stripe barrel from '38 til the end of the celluloid era.

The '38, '39, and '40 catalogs separate the Masterpiece from the Crest either on different pages or with labling large enough to deduce even on the thumbnails. The Honor Masterpiece pops up here and there. The 1941 catalog has them all on a 2 page spread labeled "Masterpieces - all that the name implies" with the Crests, including a brown stripe Lady, on the far right. Is there a Crest Masterpiece in the '41 catalog?

Matt;

From the 1941 catalog - the Crest masterpiece is there in chased or plain which would be the treatment of the cap in this case. The crest is available in golden brown as well as the black. I don't think it a great stretch to make a crest golden brown into a crest masterpiece but, it is not cataloged that way.

Roger W.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users