10 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:39 PM

Leboeuf-- a small pen maker in the 1920's-30's based in Springfield, Massachusetts-- manufactured very high quality pens. Indeed, there has been some online discussion that it actually preceded Sheaffer into the celluloid arena. The pens today often are valued more highly than similar era Big-5 pens, with oversized examples pulling higher prices than equivalent Sheaffer flat-tops, Parker Duofolds and even Waterman Patricians. Leboeuf used apparently proprietary celluloid colors, resulting in pens that are quite unusual looking. I've seen sleeve fillers and lever fillers. Not sure if those are era specific.

I dont actively collect Leboeuf, though I certainly am happy when on occasion I can acquire one. I've had one oversized sleeve-filler in my collection for perhaps 8-9 years. Recently another OS- a lever filler- found me, but that is a tale for another day.

The image below shows my only sleeve-fill Lebeouf, a stunning ovesized model in "Granite", nearly matching the backdrop for the image. Very nice condition. I've seen very few in this color, though of course I've seen fairly few in any color ;)

Posted Image

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 Rick Propas

Rick Propas

journeyman

• ADVISORS
  • 227 posts
  • LocationSF Bay Area

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:21 PM

I have one oversize and one 6 size set, they are fascinating pens.
Posted Image
Visit The PENguin
rickpropas@comcast.net

#3 gregamckinney

gregamckinney

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationRedmond / Kirkland, WA

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:51 PM

I collect a fair amount of LeBoeuf, but my budget usually limits me to the smaller pens.

A couple years ago, I managed to pick up a model 75 (one of the models with the size 8 nib) in black. For any model/ size LeBoeuf, the black examples are going to be a lot cheaper than those in the great colors.
That 75 is a sleeve-filler or thumb-filler. I can't remember which name goes with which version (the earlier, "barrel opens up to reveal the pressure bar" mechanism like David's gorgeous example above, or the later, "entire barrel slides down" version.)

At LA this year, I thought my main purchase was going to be either a Nassau Green 51 or a Senior Balance in Carmine or Roseglow.
On the last day, while walking between the two Nassau finalists, I saw "the pen." For a great price (though still a fair amount of $) I picked up a lever-fill version of the pen above.

Here's a poor, quick shot that shows the LeBoeuf (far right) and my other LA Show booty:
Posted Image

This second image shows a group of the smaller, ring-top LeBoeufs, including two in this finish.
Posted Image

Best Regards, greg

#4 Jiffypens

Jiffypens

journeyman

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:32 PM

http://fountainpenbo.../854-leboeuf-8/

Theres my number 8, fascinating pens!

Posted Image

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:01 PM

I collect a fair amount of LeBoeuf, but my budget usually limits me to the smaller pens.

A couple years ago, I managed to pick up a model 75 (one of the models with the size 8 nib) in black. For any model/ size LeBoeuf, the black examples are going to be a lot cheaper than those in the great colors.
That 75 is a sleeve-filler or thumb-filler. I can't remember which name goes with which version (the earlier, "barrel opens up to reveal the pressure bar" mechanism like David's gorgeous example above, or the later, "entire barrel slides down" version.)

At LA this year, I thought my main purchase was going to be either a Nassau Green 51 or a Senior Balance in Carmine or Roseglow.
On the last day, while walking between the two Nassau finalists, I saw "the pen." For a great price (though still a fair amount of $) I picked up a lever-fill version of the pen above.

SNIP

Best Regards, greg

Ahh, I'd forgotten Greg was a Leboeufster. That's what happens with hanging out at different boards too long ;)

OK. Well...

If we are to do the Leboeuf eye candy thing (and, yeah, I guess I started this round), I'll offer up one of the most lovely and interesting Leboeuf pens I've handled, though I do not own this one. A modest ringtop. I chose at the time not to cough up the $1200 asking price, though I'm grateful to the owner for letting me shoot it. If I were into Leboeuf as I am into Parker Vacumatic, I might have taken it.

Posted Image

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#6 gregamckinney

gregamckinney

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:10 PM

LeBoeuf documentation is so sorely lacking, it is difficult to know much about what/ how/ why things were done when the company was alive.
That said, is the assumption/ assertion that this decoration (engraving/ carving?) was "factory," or is was it likely after-market?
That's a model #40. Even the nicest specimens, in the wildest colors don't usually go for more than about $200-250. $1200 may be merited, but that would have to be a gut decision. How rare is rare, and how much $value does "rare, maybe (literally) unique" merit.

I have very little photographic skill, so these pictures generally don't do the pens justice, but here are a few nice LeBoeufs:

Model #40s, showing a fair bit of variation over the years:
Posted Image

Ringtop set (IIRC, model #50) in the original box:
Posted Image

Assorted mid-size pens, plus an uncommon perfume applicator:
Posted Image

Finally, two different models in the "tiger eye" celluloid:
Posted Image

Regards, greg

Ahh, I'd forgotten Greg was a Leboeufster. That's what happens with hanging out at different boards too long ;)

OK. Well...

If we are to do the Leboeuf eye candy thing (and, yeah, I guess I started this round), I'll offer up one of the most lovely and interesting Leboeuf pens I've handled, though I do not own this one. A modest ringtop. I chose at the time not to cough up the $1200 asking price, though I'm grateful to the owner for letting me shoot it. If I were into Leboeuf as I am into Parker Vacumatic, I might have taken it.

regards

david

#7 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

journeyman

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 01:56 AM

Here is one in brilliant red pearl and one in the Tiger Eye.

Posted Image

#8 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:55 AM

SNIP

Finally, two different models in the "tiger eye" celluloid:
Posted Image

Regards, greg

Nice pens! I own no yellow/gold Leboeufs, but did have chance to shoot a bunch as part of a couple collections shoots. Years ago I montaged the yellow pens, as follows...

Posted Image

regards

David

Posted Image

#9 gregamckinney

gregamckinney

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 04:07 AM

Nice pens, Ricky. Did you get the red one at the LA Show? I saw one there (same guy as I bought my "OS" black and white one from, IIRC.)
That is a fairly uncommon color, but for something like $250 more, I was able to get the black and white one.
Best, greg

Here is one in brilliant red pearl and one in the Tiger Eye.

Posted Image

#10 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

journeyman

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 04:27 AM

Nice pens, Ricky. Did you get the red one at the LA Show? I saw one there (same guy as I bought my "OS" black and white one from, IIRC.)
That is a fairly uncommon color, but for something like $250 more, I was able to get the black and white one.
Best, greg

I picked up both pens from Hirsch Davis in LA.

#11 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:13 AM

I am well enjoying this thread, as it evolves into quite the free for all of Leboeuf eye candy. If only we had some documentation to offer as well. It has been too long since I've had chance to pull out the Leboeuf images. Noting again that the following never was my pen, I offer a lovely ring top set in box, as montage. Shot this at the Boston Pen Show perhaps ten years ago. Box probably is more rare than the pen.

Posted Image

regards

David

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users