3 replies to this topic

#1 penspender

penspender

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:17 PM

Hello Everyone,

David I’s Carter’s post prompted me to show this pen which was another EBay BIN. I bought it because it was clearly a Carter’s. But once I received it I was never able to definitively identify the particular model. Both the clip and the #7 or 8 nib are marked Carter’s (the nib is marked INX) and it has the pearltex plastic with a black section. However, there is no trace of a marking on the body of the pen or on the bottom of the barrel. The condition of the pen is so that it is unlikely to have worn off. This is a large pen at 5 3/8 inches and 1/2 inch across the cap lip. Bill Ackers web site shows some variations of this pen in the Carter’s flat top section http://www.billspens...top/flattop.htm , but this is as close as I came to an ID. Any observations are welcome.

Lloyd

Posted Image

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:17 PM

Hello Everyone,

David I’s Carter’s post prompted me to show this pen which was another EBay BIN. I bought it because it was clearly a Carter’s. But once I received it I was never able to definitively identify the particular model. Both the clip and the #7 or 8 nib are marked Carter’s (the nib is marked INX) and it has the pearltex plastic with a black section. However, there is no trace of a marking on the body of the pen or on the bottom of the barrel. The condition of the pen is so that it is unlikely to have worn off. This is a large pen at 5 3/8 inches and 1/2 inch across the cap lip. Bill Ackers web site shows some variations of this pen in the Carter’s flat top section http://www.billspens...top/flattop.htm , but this is as close as I came to an ID. Any observations are welcome.

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd,

That's a grand pen, even if (and I don't yet conclude this) it is missing an "expected" barrel imprint.

The pen is an early Carter's Pearltex, early of course being a relative term, as I believe Carter's made pens just a few years, although (as per my RHR OS note) the company made attractive high quality pens. The jump was made from flat-top to streamlined pens and while the Pearltex plastic might seem like a later style than the conventional Jade/Coral/Lapis plastics, the Pearltex and non-Pearltex lines appear to have been made at least partially in parallel, and flat-top and streamline forms are found in both types of celluloid.

The white Pearltex is found both with black ends and without. Indeed one of my pens (i might have to shoot it next week if cannot find the image) has stripe on top and no stripe at bottom. Hard to imagine a parts swap on such a low-prevalence item, so could be factory style mix between serial styles... or not.

This color is *very* hard to find clean, following the typical rule that vintage celluloids are more likely to show ambering when starting out with pale colors. Yours looks to have quite nice color.

As to imprint. There are some Carters pens that while rare nonetheless routinely (for them) turn up without imprint, the snakeskin patterns (in plastic) coming to mind. I will have to check my four snakeskin pens to confirm that none have imprint.

My offhand expectation is that a catalogued Peartex pen should have barrel imprint. I have several ringtops at home (and in photo to follow) and at least one in the photo is showing imprint.

That said, as some Carters lack imprint and if your pen really is otherwise clean (look for signs of name removed, a twitch in the light reflex as you rotate the barrel looking down the barrel at oblique view, as name removal with circumferential buffing in theory could take out the imprint and leave fairly smooth effect), it is possible this pen simply was made sans imprint. It happens. Again, I'll need to explore the two white pens I have at home next week.

This should, iirc, have a model number, possibly four digit, in very butt of pen. Do check.

In any case, this looks like a really nice find. Retail on a white OS Pearltex in clean condition and with great color (color is key) can top a grand.

i don't actively court Carters, but when reasonably priced nice examples cross my desk, I do tend to toss them in the ol' personal collection.

Here are three Pearltex ringtops in rathhher nice condition. The blue at least does show an imprint.

Posted Image

regards

David

ps. I was told that Ye Old Admin added the word "Pearltex" to your topic header, to facilitate future searches.
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:18 PM

From my files.

Posted Image

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#4 penspender

penspender

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:48 PM

Hello,

Thank you David for the extra effort to ID this pen. Based on the information that you provided, it appears to be a 11117. There is no evidence of marking on the body or the end so I am grateful to see the catalog page. The photo I took of the pen offers a good representation of the color. The pen is not white white. It has a yellowish, green hue but pretty good color nevertheless. Based on your estimate of value, even if not perfect I guess I should show this pen a little more respect! Thank you again for the information.

Lloyd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users