#1 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • LocationPenguin, NW Tasmania, AUSTRALIA

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:39 AM

Hello again

I found this Parker Duofold in the wilds of NW Tasmania, Australia this morning, and am hoping I can confirm what it is - A Maxima?
If I am not correct, I would appreciate any other information to identify it for me.

Posted Image

It is HUGE in comparison to my Parker Duofold Streamline of the same style and colour, but it is 'on steroids' by comparison.
I am about to see if it will flush and write like the Parker 'Lady' I purchased earlier in the week. It seems to be in operating condition, and given the imprint on the barrel being all but worn away, this looks like it was a much loved writer. To the extent of the missing jewel being replaced by a screw to keep the pocket clip on.

If anyone has a jewel for this monster, please contact me. As much as the screw is quirky, I'd prefer to have a jewel of the appropriate colour and nature.

[added just now - my time in Tasmania, Australia] Well, I just inked the enormous Parker I found today. I flushed it earlier, and have just let it alone for a while. Filled beautiful – and bountifully – and it writes like a dream.

I have been told I have nice hand-writing ever since I was a child, and have only ever toyed with pens with broad nibs. I felt chills up my spine as I wrote with this beauty, and really think it compliments my handwriting.

Might have now become a ‘broad stub’ nib junkie. Is that a BAD thing; or does everyone that writes with one feel that way the first time?

Respectfully
Garth
Penguin, NW Tasmania, Australia

We will be forever known by the tracks we leave behind - Sitting Bull

#2 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 30 July 2011 - 04:08 AM

Hi Garth,

Suspect not a maxima, which should carry a no.50 nib which this doesn't appear to. A No.35 indicates a senior, which is a large pen which is more likely. Earlier pens didn't carry a number, but no maxima model either.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#3 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 04:35 AM

Hi Garth,

Suspect not a maxima, which should carry a no.50 nib which this doesn't appear to. A No.35 indicates a senior, which is a large pen which is more likely. Earlier pens didn't carry a number, but no maxima model either.

Regards
Hugh

Hello again Hugh

Thanks for the reply.
I found this URL which is where I asked regarding the 'maxima' reference. At the top there are images of the pens, then further down in the ad for the Parker 17, it mentions a Maxima there, and I assumed the 'red one' was the maxima, given it's size.
http://parkercollect.../ukduofold.html

Respectfully
Garth

#4 adamon

adamon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:17 PM

Hi,
The bigger one is Senior Duofold and the smaller is Slimfold.
Maxima is 143 mm (5 5/8") long and the Senior is 140 mm (5 1/2") long.
Maxima has nib marked with #50 and the Senior - #35 (or #N ?).
Maxima's cap ring is 3,5 mm wide and Senior's - 2 mm wide (same as Slimfold).
All are UK Duofolds Aerometric produced in 50's and 60's.
Nice pens!
:)

#5 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:59 AM

Hi,
The bigger one is Senior Duofold and the smaller is Slimfold.
Maxima is 143 mm (5 5/8") long and the Senior is 140 mm (5 1/2") long.
Maxima has nib marked with #50 and the Senior - #35 (or #N ?).
Maxima's cap ring is 3,5 mm wide and Senior's - 2 mm wide (same as Slimfold).
All are UK Duofolds Aerometric produced in 50's and 60's.
Nice pens!
:)

Thank you for your information.
It is much appreciated.

Humbly
Garth

#6 adamon

adamon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:35 PM

There are examples of aerometric UK Duofolds from the main period (1953 - 1968).

From left: Duofold Maxima in black, Dufold Senior in red, Duofold in green, Demi Duofold in blue, Junior Duofold in black, Slimfold in red, Lady Duofold in green, 3 pencils. Horizontal: ballpoint

Posted Image

Pens only

Posted Image

Pens without caps

Posted Image

#7 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:36 PM

There are examples of aerometric UK Duofolds from the main period (1953 - 1968).

From left: Duofold Maxima in black, Dufold Senior in red, Duofold in green, Demi Duofold in blue, Junior Duofold in black, Slimfold in red, Lady Duofold in green, 3 pencils. Horizontal: ballpoint

Posted Image

Pens only

Posted Image

Pens without caps

Posted Image

Wow :)

Are these part of your collection? If so; they are beautiful.

I found a Parker 'Lady' in the wild about a month ago, and only had the funds to purchase it about 10 days ago. Not that it was expensive, as it was not, but I am studying FT at Uni as a mature age student and living on about $80 per f/n for food and fuel after the essentials are paid for.

The 'Lady' is in black, and flushed out and I have been used it last week at Uni. Lots of stares, and quizzical looks from the very young.

The Senior writes like a dream also.

On a final note; in your Parker book, does it mention the 'N' on the nib?

Thanks again,
G'day from DownUnder
Garth

#8 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:08 AM

The "N" on the nib simply indicates it's from the Newhaven factory in England, which Parker purchased from Valentine ( who made Parkers for some time, and iirc also Kingswoods (a Whal Eversharp brand). You will find some Valentines that are essentially the same as early British Parker Duofolds made before the N(ew) S(tyle) shown above. The first NS duofolds came as double jeweled button fillers, then with an aluminium button filler ( the AF of course!!) then lastly the aerometric filler. There are also French Parkers that are essentially the same, again iirc some of those even came as vacumatics, rather uncommon pens. Overall very well made pens, I've owned a few but not to my liking as users and I've moved them on.

Regards
Hugh

Edit to add: The barrel imprints wear easily on these.
Hugh Cordingley

#9 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:12 AM

Hello again

I found this Parker Duofold in the wilds of NW Tasmania, Australia this morning, and am hoping I can confirm what it is - A Maxima?
If I am not correct, I would appreciate any other information to identify it for me.

SNIP

Respectfully

It might be more than "just" a Maxima.

When I'm home will shoot a pen, toss a post, and see what we can see...

regards

David

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#10 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:58 AM

It might be more than "just" a Maxima.

When I'm home will shoot a pen, toss a post, and see what we can see...

regards

David

This will be interesting David, the pen in question couldn't look a more standard Senior. Posted Image....although a broad stub is somewhat unusual.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#11 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:02 AM

This will be interesting David, the pen in question couldn't look a more standard Senior. Posted Image....although a broad stub is somewhat unusual.

Regards
Hugh

I await with baited breath for any findings, either way.

the anticipation will kill me in the meantime. LOL :)
Garth

#12 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:39 PM

Regards
Hugh

Hi Hugh,

You likely are correct regarding this pen. I've followed this thread in limited fashion as I've had very little in way of high-speed internet access on this vacation. If the pen has nib that goes with Senior and has suggestive size, I don't argue. That it seems larger than the tiny pen shown in comparison in the first post does not surprise, as the comparison pen was small.

As I peeked in, I noticed though that Maxima is being treated as the largest of the Euro-folds. That prompted my post. As Obi-wan once said... there is another...

More later in week.

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#13 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:06 PM

Hi Hugh,

You likely are correct regarding this pen. I've followed this thread in limited fashion as I've had very little in way of high-speed internet access on this vacation. If the pen has nib that goes with Senior and has suggestive size, I don't argue. That it seems larger than the tiny pen shown in comparison in the first post does not surprise, as the comparison pen was small.

As I peeked in, I noticed though that Maxima is being treated as the largest of the Euro-folds. That prompted my post. As Obi-wan once said... there is another...

More later in week.

regards

David

Sorry David for putting the slimfold with the 'Senior' for comparison :(

The only reason for this entailed both being the same colour and material, etc., and that one was much bigger than the other. Basically they were very similar, albeit for size.

It is obvious I have much to learn about presentation to minimise unprofessionalism or confusion.

Please accept my apologies for this.
Garth

#14 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:29 PM

Sorry David for putting the slimfold with the 'Senior' for comparison :(

The only reason for this entailed both being the same colour and material, etc., and that one was much bigger than the other. Basically they were very similar, albeit for size.

It is obvious I have much to learn about presentation to minimise unprofessionalism or confusion.

Please accept my apologies for this.

Hi Garth,

No worries. Was just pointing out why at very casual and rushed first glance, I thought you might have found one of the rare (and poorly discussed) Super-Max pens. I most certainly was not criticizing. Indeed, you should see how tangential are some of *my* posts.. ;)

In any case Woody might have something to offer regarding the super-Max (no, not Parker's name, as best I can tell). I will try to shoot it later this week.

This is a worthwhile thread. There has been insufficient chat regarding all the models found for the 1950's Eurofolds.

regards

david

Posted Image

#15 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:38 PM

Interesting that David refers to "Euro-folds", I don't recall mention of any English duofold larger than the Max ( yet another statement based on limited observation)....so are we talking a French or Danish model rather than a British here? Iirc Danish models (Olsen) seemed to "mimic" English models (when they ceased is ?) , the main obvious difference being an R rather than an N on the nib. Again I'm not sure when Plexor ceased making Parkers under licence in France and Parker started in their own right, the French NS Duofold styles I've seen have generally been smaller but if I had to "put my money down" I'd go the French doing a bit of " mines bigger than yours" !! (well, at worst I can only be wrongPosted Image) I wait in anticipation Posted Image

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#16 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:22 AM

Thank you for your information.
It is much appreciated.

Humbly

Hi again,

Trying to locate a jewel for the Senior - still :)
While trolling through some webpages, I found these details on the URL http://parkercollect...m/slimfold.html

Maxima (140x14 mm) = 50
Senior (140x12 mm) =35
Standard (135x13 mm) =25
Demi (x13mm) =15 or 20
Junior (133x11 mm) =10
Slimfold (127x11mm) =5
Lady (hooded nib) =4

So easy to be confused [as the novice I am] when there are so many different sources and information about pens, their sizes, etc.
Can someone remind me why I don't collect butterflies? LOL :)
Garth

#17 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:24 AM

Hi Garth,

No worries. Was just pointing out why at very casual and rushed first glance, I thought you might have found one of the rare (and poorly discussed) Super-Max pens. I most certainly was not criticizing. Indeed, you should see how tangential are some of *my* posts.. ;)

In any case Woody might have something to offer regarding the super-Max (no, not Parker's name, as best I can tell). I will try to shoot it later this week.

This is a worthwhile thread. There has been insufficient chat regarding all the models found for the 1950's Eurofolds.

regards

david

Hi David

Do you have a URL regarding information about these Super-Max pens?
I have tried searching but can find 'nada' ;)

Respectfully
Garth

#18 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 03 August 2011 - 03:33 AM

Hi David

Do you have a URL regarding information about these Super-Max pens?
I have tried searching but can find 'nada' ;)

Respectfully

Heh.

No URL. Have suspicion my note will be the first documentation.

regards

d

Posted Image

#19 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:30 AM

Enter... the "Supermax"

Posted Image

regards

David

Posted Image

#20 adamon

adamon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:24 AM

Enter... the "Supermax"

Posted Image

regards

David

Hi,
It's danish production - look at Olsen's logo.
May I ask for some figures (lenght, diameter), please?
My Vacs collection is so poor :(
And maybe some additional detailed photos?

Regards
Adam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users