#21 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • LocationPenguin, NW Tasmania, AUSTRALIA

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:29 AM

Hi,
It's danish production - look at Olsen's logo.
May I ask for some figures (lenght, diameter), please?
My Vacs collection is so poor :(
And maybe some additional detailed photos?

Regards
Adam

Olsen's Logo?
What is this? If it is obvious, this little black duck can't see anything different.
Mind you, I thought my Senior was such, then a Maxima, then a Senior again, and I even put it with a smaller pen that made it look even bigger. LOL :)

Trying to find the 'Dunce' hat so I can go and sit facing the corner.
Garth
Penguin, NW Tasmania, Australia

We will be forever known by the tracks we leave behind - Sitting Bull

#22 adamon

adamon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:48 AM

Olsen's Logo?
What is this? If it is obvious, this little black duck can't see anything different.
Mind you, I thought my Senior was such, then a Maxima, then a Senior again, and I even put it with a smaller pen that made it look even bigger. LOL :)

Olsen's logo is this small circle at the bottom of imprint on barrel (below the text "PARKER DUOFOLD REG.TM").
Inside the circle you will find the letters "C" and "O" and between them - the anchor.

#23 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:57 AM

Hi David
Oh well, had to be one of those Euro guys ...I just backed the wrong "horse"..the Danes have the big one as noted above. Now is it really bigger...I'm not convinced this is actually bigger than a Maxima...yet. Always the "pessimist" , as mentioned above Danish production mimiced UK models, this may simply be the Danish version of the Maxima. I remain unconvinced at present.....well if you're dig a hole might as well make it a big one!!

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#24 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:27 AM

Olsen's Logo?

As already mentioned the logo on the barrel is Olsen's, as a general rule the nib also carries an "R" as opposed to the UK "N" ( indicating Newhaven, the UK Parker factory) found pre-number system. As I mentioned before the imprints wear easily and many well preserved pens are found with a weak or non existent imprint so the nib can be handy. Now Olsen made Parker's under licence for a long time, often seen are early Danish "Big Red" Duofolds ('20-'30s)..in other colours too... and these NS Duofolds. Probably other models as well but I don't recall seeing them. French production seems more varied with Vac fill NS duofold style pens, as well as the standard aerometric duofold styles, later uncommon models include the 51 , 61 and the 35 (if iirc...I'm sure any errors will be pointed out!!) . Early French Parkers where made under licence by Plexor, who also marketed them under their own name as well. French pens carry 18ct nibs.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#25 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • LocationPenguin, NW Tasmania, AUSTRALIA

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:48 PM

As already mentioned the logo on the barrel is Olsen's, as a general rule the nib also carries an "R" as opposed to the UK "N" ( indicating Newhaven, the UK Parker factory) found pre-number system. As I mentioned before the imprints wear easily and many well preserved pens are found with a weak or non existent imprint so the nib can be handy. Now Olsen made Parker's under licence for a long time, often seen are early Danish "Big Red" Duofolds ('20-'30s)..in other colours too... and these NS Duofolds. Probably other models as well but I don't recall seeing them. French production seems more varied with Vac fill NS duofold style pens, as well as the standard aerometric duofold styles, later uncommon models include the 51 , 61 and the 35 (if iirc...I'm sure any errors will be pointed out!!) . Early French Parkers where made under licence by Plexor, who also marketed them under their own name as well. French pens carry 18ct nibs.

Regards
Hugh

I continue to be encouraged and amazed at the wealth of knowledge shared among the members of this network.
Maybe one day I too will be able to quote facts such as these in years to come.

Interesting stuff Hugh.
Garth
Penguin, NW Tasmania, Australia

We will be forever known by the tracks we leave behind - Sitting Bull

#26 adamon

adamon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 04:49 PM

Some additional details about danish Duofolds:
1. C and O in the logo means: Christian Olsen - name of the company owner, and the anchor because Olsen was fan of sailing.
2. I believe that on the nib may be D (not R) letter (D as Denmark) or logo of NGI (Nordisk Guldpenne Industri - danish nibs producer / logo looks like old fashioned Viking's ship).
The R letter on the nib one can find not only on danish pens nibs, also on english ones. I believe that R means - Replacement, but I'm not sure.
3. I believe also that on the barrel may be Olsen's logo or letters: MID (Made In Denmark).
4. Olsen has produced not only NS, but also AF (4 english colours and 2 additional - olive green and terracota brown) and aerometric Duofolds. He has followed the UK originals.

#27 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 11:20 PM

Some additional details about danish Duofolds:
1. C and O in the logo means: Christian Olsen - name of the company owner, and the anchor because Olsen was fan of sailing.
2. I believe that on the nib may be D (not R) letter (D as Danemark) or logo of NGI (Nordisk Guldpenne Industri - danish nibs producer / logo looks like old fashioned Viking's ship).
The R letter on the nib one can find not only on danish pens nibs, also on english ones. I believe that R means - Replacement, but I'm not sure.
3. I believe also that on the barrel may be Olsen's logo or letters: MID (Made In Danemark).
4. Olsen has produced not only NS, but also AF (4 english colours and 2 additional - olive green and terracota brown) and aerometric Duofolds. He has followed the UK originals.

"D" , i'll go with that..sometimes the "wrong" info comes out !! I've seen the MID on the barrel.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#28 haywoody

haywoody

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:02 AM

Thanks David, for alerting me to this thread. I followed the first few posts but forgot to come back.

The "Super-max" David posted was mine until the Raleigh show this year. I can't offer much info other than to say it was acquired at a flea market in Copenhagen. The nib has the Olsen crown logo (I missed the info in the thread above - this might be the logo described as looking like a viking ship) . and if I recall correctly it is pretty flexy. The other oddity is the filler, which is the aluminum button-filler typically found on the early Parker VS.

I searched many times for info on this pen but never found anything other than a mention of the "short fat" Danish Duofold. I found many Danish/English Duofolds in a range of sizes at markets in Copenhagen but this is the only one of this size that I have ever seen.;I don't recall the dimensions but I believe they are nearly identical to a Vac Senior Maxima. I posted a shot of it with some other large pens here.

I'm curious to see what additional info turns up on the monster...

/Woody

edit: I found some some shots showing the nib, imprint and filler button:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#29 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:24 AM

Strange as it may be, looks like a standard AF Duofold to me, I missed that it wasn't an aero... These are both a large and chunky pen, which seems to fit the photo so I suspect the only uncommon feature being it's origin.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#30 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 04 August 2011 - 05:35 AM

Strange as it may be, looks like a standard AF Duofold to me, I missed that it wasn't an aero... These are both a large and chunky pen, which seems to fit the photo so I suspect the only uncommon feature being it's origin.

Regards
Hugh

\

It's Super-Max diameter also is unusual ;)

regards

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#31 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:19 AM

\

It's Super-Max diameter also is unusual ;)

regards

-d

Well David,

The balls in your court !! All it needs is the measurements to hit a winner Posted Image Suffice to say the "big end" of these Duofolds are substantial pens in their own right with greater diameter than a PFM, a Senior English Duofold makes a Senior Flat Top Endura look somewhat average size wise....something that did surprise me by the way!! So while I've got that shovel out....I'll remain a skepticPosted Image....the shovel may be useful to dig my out out.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#32 adamon

adamon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:26 AM

Hi,
I've tried to measure the dimensions from the photos and compare with original danish Duofold AF.
The original AF is 132 mm long, the barrel's max diameter is 12,4 mm and cap's - 14 mm.

1st photo:
I've come from the nib's width (original 5,5 mm) - it should be the same in both pens.
I received:
- diameter of section at the end from nib side - photo: 10,2 mm and original: 9,6 mm
- diameter of the section near the thread - photo: 10,4 mm and original: 10,2 mm
- lenght of section - photo: 11,8 mm and original: 13,7 mm
- diameter of barrel near the thread - photo: 11,2 mm and original: 11,2 mm.

2nd photo:
I've come from the filler thread's diameter.
I received:
- diameter of barrel at the end - photo: 12,1 mm and original: 11,0 mm
- diameter of barrel - photo: 13,5 mm and original: 12,4 mm.

I have any example of Senior Maxima Vac and can not compare the both pens, but from the other photos I see that the lenght of the pen on photo is more or less correct for Duofold AF. But diameter seems to be a little bigger (appr. 1,0 - 1,5 mm).
Nevertheless the pen on photo is kind of danish Duofold AF, for sure.

Another question is the imprint on the nib.
On the nib on photo is only PARKER and NGI logo (when you will look at the logo you'll find the three letters: N G I and the short line below - and together it looks like Viking's ship (or crown)). Originally the nib carries PARKER DUOFOLD 14K (in 3 lines) and NGI logo.

Very interesting thing

#33 adamon

adamon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 02:48 PM

In addition I have a small comparison between Major Vacs and UK (Danish) Duofolds.

From left: 2 Major Vacs 3rd Gen.; Danish Duofold AF in terracotta brown, UK Duofold AF (dark blue?), standard UK Duofold, UK Senior Duofold in blue and UK Duofold Maxima in blue

Posted Image

and one more - here you can find also the NS Duofolds - one from UK (in black) and 2 from Danemark (both in olive green). For NS Duofolds Olsen used in the same time the standard UK clips and Vac clips.

Posted Image

#34 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 10:46 PM

I guess comparisons are useful

Posted Image

We have a Gold Medal combo, P51, Conklin Endura Snr, Duofold Snr (a parts job) and a PFM. The Duofold and PFM are nearly identical width, the Maxima wider at .55". Super-Max = ? Interesting how the PFM is regarded as a wide pen when in reality it's not, the section shape gives the "big" feel imo and how big a P51 actually is!!

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#35 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 04 August 2011 - 11:13 PM

Here's one for you. I find it... interesting.

Posted Image

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#36 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 August 2011 - 02:24 AM

For those who asked... Duofold Super-Max and conventional Maxima.

Note the plump clip ring and jewel,

I've now seen but 2 of these, the 2nd well trashed compared to this nice one.

Note there is potential for optical illusion. Could the Super Max be no chunkier than the Maxima, just cut short at cap requiring wider clip ring at wider part of cap? Holding in hand, the Super-Max feels chunkier than recollection of Maxima, though I sold all my Maximas (had several on the website), so cannot do cap/barrel swaps. I do note that the cap on the Super Max spins loosely over Vacumatic Maxima, whose cap does not make it onto the threads of the Duofold Super-Max

Posted Image

regards

david

Posted Image

#37 adamon

adamon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:15 AM

Here's one for you. I find it... interesting.

Posted Image

regards

David

Why?

#38 adamon

adamon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:21 AM

For those who asked... Duofold Super-Max and conventional Maxima.

Note the plump clip ring and jewel,

I've now seen but 2 of these, the 2nd well trashed compared to this nice one.

Note there is potential for optical illusion. Could the Super Max be no chunkier than the Maxima, just cut short at cap requiring wider clip ring at wider part of cap? Holding in hand, the Super-Max feels chunkier than recollection of Maxima, though I sold all my Maximas (had several on the website), so cannot do cap/barrel swaps. I do note that the cap on the Super Max spins loosely over Vacumatic Maxima, whose cap does not make it onto the threads of the Duofold Super-Max

Posted Image

regards

david

Hi David,
Is this one photo of 3 pens or combination of 3 separate photos?
Other words: if it's direct comparison, the AF SuperMax is 136 mm long (standard AF is 132 mm).
Regards
Adam

#39 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:22 AM

Why?

Uhhh... why not? Posted Image

Or... because I do?

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be answering here.

That it is the only Duofold model I've seen or at least recall from either North America or abroad to have a hooded nib evoking the "51" can't be it... or maybe it was it. It's pretty late over here now... or early... or something. ;)

-d

Posted Image

#40 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:25 AM

Hi David,
Is this one photo of 3 pens or combination of 3 separate photos?
Other words: if it's direct comparison, the AF SuperMax is 136 mm long (standard AF is 132 mm).
Regards
Adam

Hi Adam,

It is a montage, but one that well shows the power of the photo technique I worked out more than ten years ago. The Duofold Maxima represents two separate shots done nearly four years ago. The Super Max was shot yesterday. All pens shot in my light bucket are done with same lighting and at fixed scale allowing any of the 6000+ pens shot to be mixed and matched after the fact, maintaining relative scale and lighting.

The SuperMax (top pen) indeed is a bit shorter than the Duofold Maxima (the bottom pen), but is fat.

regards

david

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users