• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jon Veley

Jon Veley

journeyman

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:21 PM

I'm pleased to report that I am in the final editing stages of my new book, The Catalogue of American Mechanical Pencils, and the book should be ready in time for The Ohio Pen Show in the first week of November. The book will be just under 200 pages, hardbound and in color, with more than 500 color photographs. It includes a price guide, historical and patent information, and articles on collecting and repair/restoration. I am planning an initial press run of 500 copies and the book will be released exclusively at The Ohio Pen Show. The first 250 sold at the show will be individually numbered and signed. If you can't make the show but still want to reserve a copy, I will take your reservation but the copies will be sent out after the show. If you want to reserve a copy or copies, please send me an email. I'm hoping that the publishing costs will enable me to keep the cover price at $39.95,but I'll send out an update when I've got that more definitely nailed down. To see what the book will look like, I posted a sample at www.jonathanveley.com/images/stories/pencilbook.pdf Thanks and see you at the Ohio Show!

Jonathan A. Veley, Esq.

3 South Park Place

Newark, Ohio 43055

(740) 345-0502 office

(740) 345-0540 facsimile

(740) 644-8182 mobile

www.jonathanveley.com

#2 Jon Veley

Jon Veley

journeyman

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 07:40 PM

Should have all details firmed up by mid-September.

#3 penmanila

penmanila

journeyman

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • LocationManila/Virginia/San Diego

Posted 01 September 2011 - 02:57 AM

congrats, jon, i'm sure this will be an invaluable resource.
Check out my pens here and my blog here.

#4 Pedro

Pedro

journeyman

• Members
  • 454 posts
  • LocationWestern Illinois

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:09 PM

Jon:
Congratulations on your endeavor. It certainly looks like you have been collecting for a long time and the effort of sharing all that valuable information is certainly a labour of love.
I wish you great success!
Pedro
Looking for a Sheaffer OS Balance with a Stub nib and other OS Oddities.

#5 Jon Veley

Jon Veley

journeyman

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 11:16 PM

Thank you both. The final editing is done through page 129 now, and I'm meeting with the publisher to drop it off on Sept. 19.

#6 Jon Veley

Jon Veley

journeyman

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:20 PM

Last night, around 8:55pm, I was sitting at the dining room table as I have been for the last few weeks, surrounded by pencils being photographed, notes, working drafts and the general mess that this process has been generating. I stopped typing and stared for a minute or so at the screen. Everything was checked off on my list (lists, actually) of corrections. I couldn't think of anything else to do. "Hey, I think I'm finished," I called out to my wife, who was in the kitchen."Finished with what?" she said."The book.""Really?"
"I think so."
"That's great. I'm going to watch Project Runway now."
Oh well.... at least she didn't say "What book?" So the first review wasn't so great, but I think she's just looking forward to getting the dining room table back. To the rest of the world, I can announce that The Catalogue of American Mechanical Pencils is now finished. Next Monday, I have a meeting with the publisher, and if all goes as we have discussed on the phone, the book will be ready for release at the Ohio Pen Show.

#7 AZuniga

AZuniga

journeyman

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:11 AM

Great, you have a buyer here, so we will see you at Columbus... Regards

#8 Jon Veley

Jon Veley

journeyman

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:07 AM

Looking forward to it. Shoot me an email at jveley@jonathanveley.com and I'll put you on my mailing list.

According to the publisher, I should have books in hand on October 17. As soon as I do, I'll send out an announcement first to those on the list.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users