• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

journeyman

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 03:07 AM

This particular eBay auction was brought up on FPN.

After doing a little digging, I came to the conclusion that the price was due to the two Biro-Swan Golden Swan pens based on this description written by Stephen Hull.

I wanted to see if anyone here had anymore insight.

BTW-here's is an old ad for the Golden Swan.

#2 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 07:33 AM

Absolutely. I'd be interested to know if anyone owns up to being the winning bidder!

The Golden Swan is certainly one of the rarest post war vintage British pens and it seems there were genuinely only about 100 ever produced (unlike the '200' CS florals.....)! However, the two cheaper pens in the series, the Avon and Isis appear to be even rarer.

Whether the final price was a bargain or not probably depends on the condition of the caps, which the vendor describes as 'tarnished'. If they clean up OK, the other parts of the pen you can see in the picture look very good, in particular the inlaid white swan on the section. So yes, a fair price and possibly even a bargain!

I bet the vendor thought all his birthdays had come at once!

Andy

(Incidentally, Steve's 'work in progress' on the Golden Swan referred to in the auction description will soon see the light of day in the new book he is launching at the London WES show next month, see my notice in the 'Books' section under 'Broad Strokes'.)

#3 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

journeyman

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:21 PM

Thanks And and I look forward to the book.

I'm sure the seller was happily surprised. I love auctions like these because some real gems turn up. Based on the bidding pattern, the winning bidder and the bidder who finished second both recognized the value of the Golden Swans.

#4 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:37 AM

Absolutely. I'd be interested to know if anyone owns up to being the winning bidder!

Curiosity now satisfied - the grapevine has revealed the identities of the two leading bidders (no, I'm not telling....)!!

Andy

#5 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

journeyman

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:42 PM

Curiosity now satisfied - the grapevine has revealed the identities of the two leading bidders (no, I'm not telling....)!!

Andy

Thanks for confirming my read of the bidding history.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users