5 replies to this topic

#1 Gerry Berg

Gerry Berg

journeyman

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 05:58 PM

SOLD
PRICE: $145 (includes Priority Mail in the U.S.).

This is an uncommon variety of the largest pen in Sheaffer's post-WWII line, and it sports the widest cap band od the period.

What makes it unusual is a double view window: one in the section and one that continues up the entire length of the barrel.

Though there are examples of this double window in smaller Sheaffer models, this is the only example I know of in the larger Valiant (if anyone else has seen one, do let me know).

It is in uncommonly fine condition: no brassing, no dents, gleaming celluloid in Sheaffer's glorious "carmine", described in a contemporary ad as "jewel-like in elegance", it "skillfully combines deep ebony with a myriad of scintillating wine shades" and "iridescent pearl". And how!

The nib is the classic Triumph conical point. Most are fine, but this one is MEDIUM and very smooth (and rigid).

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

NOTE ON PLUNGER-FILLER RESTORATION:
For a full account of the latest innovations in repairing plunger-fillers, please refer to my article, "The Re-birth of Sheaffer's One Stroke Plunger-filler", in the Spring 2009 issue of Pennant a publication of the Pen collectors of America. I have restored this plunger-filler to work as it did when new, so it's as reliable as a lever-filler and will last at least as long. I have re-packed the packing unit with DAVID NISHIMURA'S O-RING made of fluorocarbon rubber, which, according to David, is "extremely durable, resisting wear & weathering far better than standard synthetic rubber seals (estimated life span in industrial settings is up to 20 years, versus 2 to 5 years for butadiene)." And I've cut the washer from RON ZORN'S "magical" material with a precision cutters made by the Belgian pen meister, FRANCIS GOOSENS.
So it develops a lot of vacuum. To see what kind of vacuum is created by the restored filling system, just pull the rod out, push the rod back in half way down the barrel, and let go. It will literally pop out to nearly its full length. That means it will suck in a lot of ink. As one fan of Sheaffer plunger-fillers exclaimed, "These pens really suck!".

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:06 PM

Geez, a Carmine Valiant in nice shape already restored the proper way for $145.

I'd hafta t be foolish to pass, so I won't.

I'll take it.

-david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 Gerry Berg

Gerry Berg

journeyman

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 06:38 PM

Geez, a Carmine Valiant in nice shape already restored the proper way for $145.

I'd hafta t be foolish to pass, so I won't.

I'll take it.

-david

Does that mean that you don't have a "double window"?
G

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:09 PM

Does that mean that you don't have a "double window"?
G

Hi Gerry,

Whether or not I have one, I fear there is no such inference to be made from my post. Just found the pen to be priced in the zone that works for me Posted Image

One day I really must sort through the oodles of Valiants lying about.

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#5 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:51 AM

SOLD
PRICE: $145 (includes Priority Mail in the U.S.).

This is an uncommon variety of the largest pen in Sheaffer's post-WWII line, and it sports the widest cap band od the period.

What makes it unusual is a double view window: one in the section and one that continues up the entire length of the barrel.

Though there are examples of this double window in smaller Sheaffer models, this is the only example I know of in the larger Valiant (if anyone else has seen one, do let me know).

It is in uncommonly fine condition: no brassing, no dents, gleaming celluloid in Sheaffer's glorious "carmine", described in a contemporary ad as "jewel-like in elegance", it "skillfully combines deep ebony with a myriad of scintillating wine shades" and "iridescent pearl". And how!

The nib is the classic Triumph conical point. Most are fine, but this one is MEDIUM and very smooth (and rigid).

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

NOTE ON PLUNGER-FILLER RESTORATION:
For a full account of the latest innovations in repairing plunger-fillers, please refer to my article, "The Re-birth of Sheaffer's One Stroke Plunger-filler", in the Spring 2009 issue of Pennant a publication of the Pen collectors of America. I have restored this plunger-filler to work as it did when new, so it's as reliable as a lever-filler and will last at least as long. I have re-packed the packing unit with DAVID NISHIMURA'S O-RING made of fluorocarbon rubber, which, according to David, is "extremely durable, resisting wear & weathering far better than standard synthetic rubber seals (estimated life span in industrial settings is up to 20 years, versus 2 to 5 years for butadiene)." And I've cut the washer from RON ZORN'S "magical" material with a precision cutters made by the Belgian pen meister, FRANCIS GOOSENS.
So it develops a lot of vacuum. To see what kind of vacuum is created by the restored filling system, just pull the rod out, push the rod back in half way down the barrel, and let go. It will literally pop out to nearly its full length. That means it will suck in a lot of ink. As one fan of Sheaffer plunger-fillers exclaimed, "These pens really suck!".

I have to say Gerry you do some amazing work! Thank you by the way for the restoration of the three pens you did for me! You are the best for plungers!

#6 Gerry Berg

Gerry Berg

journeyman

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:06 PM

I have to say Gerry you do some amazing work! Thank you by the way for the restoration of the three pens you did for me! You are the best for plungers!

Greg:

Coming from a fine nib meister, your kind words are a real honor. Thanks!:rolleyes:
Gerry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users