1 reply to this topic

#1 djohannsen

djohannsen

journeyman

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • LocationFredericksburg, VA

Posted 03 August 2010 - 06:56 PM

While skimming through the 1905 edition of "Tools of Business" ("An Encyclopedia of Office Equipment and Labor Saving Devices"), I was struck by just how many different lines of pens were manufactured by "Fountain Pen Co, 139-141 Huron St., Toledo, O." I knew that "Rapid Writer" was made by this company (despite the fact that all the advertizing that I've seen for this pen lists Washington, DC). However, a quick glimpse of the "Encyclopedia" also turns up "Hexagon," "Spiral," Turney," and "Twist." Does anyone know much about "Fountain Pen Co.?" Who were the principals? If anyone has anything to contribute, I would be greateful for any information.

Dave

#2 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:29 PM

While skimming through the 1905 edition of "Tools of Business" ("An Encyclopedia of Office Equipment and Labor Saving Devices"), I was struck by just how many different lines of pens were manufactured by "Fountain Pen Co, 139-141 Huron St., Toledo, O." I knew that "Rapid Writer" was made by this company (despite the fact that all the advertizing that I've seen for this pen lists Washington, DC). However, a quick glimpse of the "Encyclopedia" also turns up "Hexagon," "Spiral," Turney," and "Twist." Does anyone know much about "Fountain Pen Co.?" Who were the principals? If anyone has anything to contribute, I would be greateful for any information.

Dave

Dave;

Googling I found what you had. Could be a small concern that was baught out by other interests. The start of Boston Fountain Pen Company is like that. But then again Boston Pen Company (an entirely different concern) seems to have produced one type of pen that was bought up by another concern and moved to New York. I saw no other references to the Turney Fountain Pen so that one doesn't look like it survived. You could contact the Ohio Secetary of State (or equivalent). Sometimes knowing the principles gets you something but, then again, sometimes not. The principles of Colonial Pen Company gets you nothing, for instance but, the principles of Colonial Fountain Pen Company get you something.

I've nothing on Fountain Pen Company but if this lead into bigger things it could be interesting though, if it was just an also ran in 1905 not so much. Good luck if you are persuing it.

Roger W.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users