Photo

Blast from Past: 10 years ago Rochester/Syracuse Pen Club Photos.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:02 PM

Hi,

When I was introduced to collecting old pens, back in Rochester around 1998, it did not take long in the internet age to create and to publicize our local Rochester (upstate NY) pen club. When my work migrated east to Syracuse around 2003, the club dragged east with that move. Over the years, whether in Rochester or Syracuse, we were blessed with visits from some fellow pen collectors who are quite active in the hobby. We've had Tom Zoss, Joel Hamilton and Sherrell Tyree of Ink-pen.com, Parker 51 collector Ernesto Soler, Esterbrook fan Lisa Hanes and others drop in on a meeting on occasion.

For years I've been working outside Manhattan (where physicians are ill treated) doing couple weeks straight of crazy shifts, then having two weeks off straight to chill in the city. For the last few years, I'd moved most of my belongings upstate to the work scene, where housing is much cheaper. As part of my shift away from the Syracuse position this summer, I committed to relocating my core existence to Manhattan again. Just settled into a nice apartment in the Upper West Side (photos another day), and have been unpacking boxes I've not examined in years. Found a crate full of photographs, taken mostly before 2003 when I acquired the first digital camera (which still shoots all those Vacumania catalogue style photos!). In that bunch were several from when mid/south westerners Joel and Sherrel of Ink-Pen looped through Rochester (really!) en route to the DC Pen Show, probably around 2001-2002. I brought some show and tell (yes, that is an entire tray of Vacumatic Imperials on the left). We talked repairs and collecting, what with Joel and Sherrell being pros-from-dover in the repair arena. In fact, Joel and I accidentally swapped identical high end Vacumatics, discovering this in bizarre fashion (more on that another day) at the DC pen show the next week. For this meeting, we took a small meeting room at a hotel, upgrading from our usual table at a restaurant.

So, here are some photos (i took quick shots of the hard copy, these are not scans, sorry) from around 2001 at the Rochester Pen Club. Al Besser, Joel and Sherrell, Doug Vicary and others, a bit younger but still all a bit crazy no doubt.

Posted Image

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 Frank(Federalist Pens)

Frank(Federalist Pens)

journeyman

• Members
  • 436 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey (USA)

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:52 PM

Good luck with the new gig in the city David!
I'm sure you're happy, and it's for the better!

Good to see everyone still active in the pen world!

Who knows, maybe you can get a pen "show" active again in the city!

Frank :)

"When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"  (Federalist Frank)

We sell quality, known brands at reasonable prices!!

(Use forum code "FPC" to receive an additional discount of 5%!)

http://www.federalistpensonline.com (Online Pen Store)

Like Us on Facebook!

Follow our Group(s) at Linked-In!

#3 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:33 PM

:P... look at young Doc I. wow. neat pictures!

hey, if you want, that tabletop case there you are leaning on, I got another, if you need a spare, just missing trays. I sure could use a few detailed pictures if you got them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users