• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:44 PM

When the Triumph nib was introduced on the "Triumph" Lifetime series in 1942, the cap threads on the new pens, both vac-fil and lever fill, were supplied by a metal ring. The caps have an inner cap with the mating threads also in metal. Previously the cap threads were cut directly into the end of the barrel and the interior of the cap; this style of cap thread continued on the military clip series.

Redesigned pens and pencils were first advertised in June 1945. We don't seem to have a formal name for this new series, but all the ads from June-December 1945 refer to the "New "Triumph" Pen or "New Lifetime "Triumph" Pen" * and "New Fineline Pencil." The ads note that the new pens, among other features, have self adjusting clips (not true for the bottom 2 models with open nibs, however) and the new pencils have an extended tip to reduce lead breakage. Early post war vac-fil pens all seem to have striped sections, whereas the wartime series have black sections.

* What, if anything, did Sheaffer call the non-Lifetime Triumph-nibbed Admiral or open nibbed Craftsman/Cadet?

Lever fill 1942-series pens occur in only a few early ads, identifiable by the visulated section. Lever fill post war "New Triumph" pens are rather common, but I haven't found any shown in ads - I think my chronology of what follows is correct. (Kirchheimer understands this better than I do so if I've bungled what he's told me, hopefully he'll post corrections.) Post war, lever fill pens seem to have reverted to cap threads cut in the end of the barrel and typically have striped sections.

A lever fill and vac-fil Sovereign
Posted Image

Then at some point, lever fillers begin sharing parts with the vac-fils and appear with metal thread rings and vac-fil caps (which have the threaded metal inner cap). The nib/section units are threaded, not slip fit, and, aside from the threads, may basically be a vac-fil nib/section. This change occurs across the entire range, at least from the Craftsman 350 (I haven't found such a Cadet 275 yet) up through the Crest. At the same time, white dot lever fill pens $10.00 and up (not sure yet about $8.75 Sovereigns) are supposedly restricted to black only. Striped WD LF models do appear - a Statesman is shown below - and UK ebay seller chillipea, aka The Pendragons, seems to find them periodically.

An "old style" Admiral is shown in the middle for comparison. Some are difficult to see, but the other 4 pens all have visulated sections. The black pens have a window at the bottom 1/4 of the section with skinny black stripes that extend to the beginning of the sac nipple.

Posted Image

The hybrid lever fill seems to have been short lived, however. When the Admiral was changed from a 59 Triumph nib to a Feather Touch 5, it reverted to plastic threads.

Posted Image

Daniel, you are correct. It's as if Sheaffer was trying to drive us crazy.

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:37 PM

When the Triumph nib was introduced on the "Triumph" Lifetime series in 1942, the cap threads on the new pens, both vac-fil and lever fill, were supplied by a metal ring. The caps have an inner cap with the mating threads also in metal. Previously the cap threads were cut directly into the end of the barrel and the interior of the cap; this style of cap thread continued on the military clip series.

Redesigned pens and pencils were first advertised in June 1945. We don't seem to have a formal name for this new series, but all the ads from June-December 1945 refer to the "New "Triumph" Pen or "New Lifetime "Triumph" Pen" * and "New Fineline Pencil." The ads note that the new pens, among other features, have self adjusting clips (not true for the bottom 2 models with open nibs, however) and the new pencils have an extended tip to reduce lead breakage. Early post war vac-fil pens all seem to have striped sections, whereas the wartime series have black sections.

* What, if anything, did Sheaffer call the non-Lifetime Triumph-nibbed Admiral or open nibbed Craftsman/Cadet?

Lever fill 1942-series pens occur in only a few early ads, identifiable by the visulated section. Lever fill post war "New Triumph" pens are rather common, but I haven't found any shown in ads - I think my chronology of what follows is correct. (Kirchheimer understands this better than I do so if I've bungled what he's told me, hopefully he'll post corrections.) Post war, lever fill pens seem to have reverted to cap threads cut in the end of the barrel and typically have striped sections.

SNIP

Then at some point, lever fillers begin sharing parts with the vac-fils and appear with metal thread rings and vac-fil caps (which have the threaded metal inner cap). The nib/section units are threaded, not slip fit, and, aside from the threads, may basically be a vac-fil nib/section. This change occurs across the entire range, at least from the Craftsman 350 (I haven't found such a Cadet 275 yet) up through the Crest. At the same time, white dot lever fill pens $10.00 and up (not sure yet about $8.75 Sovereigns) are supposedly restricted to black only. Striped WD LF models do appear - a Statesman is shown below - and UK ebay seller chillipea, aka The Pendragons, seems to find them periodically.

SNIP

Hi Matt,

Always good to see a " '40's Sheaffer" thread. I'm working on a web profile (akin to the Snorkel profile I've posted before, but more brief) so might hit you up for some pencil info.

Many of the emphatic statements floating around the web about 1940's Sheaffer (using "war era" and "post war" nomenclature, citing the spring vs fixed clip of some related models) would seem to have their origins in the 1947 Sheaffer Workbook. I recently additionally acquired a 1948 Sheaffer Workbook, which seems to be even less available to hobbydom than does the 1947 book.

I'm trapped out of town an extra day due to my car's having a cracked steering fluid reservoir, but will be home soon. I believe the 1947 Workbook very nicely outlines the differences in metal vs plastic threads in lever vs vac-fll headband pens, and outlines the evolution that occurred in bead band pen threads from 1945-7, possibly right down to the month that one or another change occurred. I will see about posting briefly some of the Workbook's claims when home.

regards

d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:22 PM

So if I bought the '47 Workbook from billspens.com it would answer all my questions?

Kids these days are sissies. The power steering pump went out on the '68 Cougar (which must have been built on a Monday after a drinking holiday) I had in college so I cut off the belt, to avoid burning up the pump, and drove 120 miles over the Continental Divide on I-70. Course that was in the day before serpentine belts....

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:03 PM

So if I bought the '47 Workbook from billspens.com it would answer all my questions?

Uhhh Matt? There is... i SAY THERE IS... a reason I've referred to it as the 1947 Rosetta Stone Posted Image

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#5 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:18 PM

I'm trapped out of town an extra day due to my car's having a cracked steering fluid reservoir, but will be home soon.

d

Well David...must be that time of the years when things go wrong....ploughing away merrily a couple of days ago and all of a sudden a rather loud engine "knock" , a big end gone I suspect.. which means taking the engine out and sending it away for repair...however much that'll cost...anyway I have another tractor that will do the job, minus a cab which is one of those comforts you grow used to ...I'd forgotten what a pain dust is!!

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#6 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:35 PM

Well David...must be that time of the years when things go wrong....ploughing away merrily a couple of days ago and all of a sudden a rather loud engine "knock" , a big end gone I suspect.. which means taking the engine out and sending it away for repair...however much that'll cost...anyway I have another tractor that will do the job, minus a cab which is one of those comforts you grow used to ...I'd forgotten what a pain dust is!!

Regards
Hugh

You know, this site is such a wealth of information, and I am learning a whole lot! I have always wondered about the "Metal Lip" Sheaffer's (as I call them) and their place in the production/design of the whole line from the 1940's.

Being quite the novice when it comes these pens, do you think these were more "entry level" pens from the time, post war economy, in an attempt to garner market share after the war?

Greg Minuskin

#7 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:06 AM

<do you think these were more "entry level" pens from the time, post war economy, in an attempt to garner market share after the war?>

Yes! Postwar, Sheaffer pens ranged in price from $2.75 to $50 or $100. The bead bands sold for $2.75, $3.50, $5.00, and $8.75 (the cheapest Lifetime). If you are interested in minutia, I have an fairly complete list (no pencils or desk pens yet) of Sheaffer 1940 or so - '48 listing model name, price code, nib, catalog symbol, etc., on an excel spreadsheet.

#8 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:07 AM

Yes! Postwar, Sheaffer pens ranged in price from $2.75 to $50 or $100. The bead bands sold for $2.75, $3.50, $5.00, and $8.75 (the cheapest Lifetime). If you are interested in minutia, I have an fairly complete list (no pencils or desk pens yet) of Sheaffer 1940 or so - '48 listing model name, price code, nib, catalog symbol, etc., on an excel spreadsheet.

Thank you! Yes, I am quite interested in the Excel spreadsheet information. Thanks!

Greg Minuskin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users