18 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:58 PM

I continue to dive through the pile of pens acquired at the Ohio Pen Show November 2011. I picked up the Sheaffer Balance discussed in this thread in the excellent auction Saturday night.

The off-catalogue lined wide cap-band commonly is called the Jeweler's cap-band by collectors. It is the most common of the off-catalogue cap-bands. The earliest color to feature it is gray/red.

Grey Pearl (gray/red version) is the only gray color Balance (there ware three colors to use gray) to routinely feature gold-filled trim instead of chrome trim. As we know, chrome trim tends not to hold up as well as gold-filled trim. I have seen some gray/red pens with chrome trim, and as they are a significant minority finding, they fall into the penumbra of the "reverse trim" element of old pens, adding appeal. Of what I'm not sure offhand, is whether there were specific models that were only shown with chrome, which would-- by my use of the term-- remove the pens from the "reverse trim" category. If identical models at identical prices were shown both ways, then even though chrome trim is catalogued, as a very minority finding, I would still consider it "reverse trim".

This pen, a short slender pen, third tier (at least, based on its 3-25 nib) features the Jeweler's cap-band and reverse trim. Very uncommon with this cocktail. This one is very clean, a nontrivial point for this fragile celluloid color with chrome trim. Note the smooth flat-ball clip (sans "Sheaffer's" imprint) a finding seen with Autograph (solid gold trim) and off-catalogue cap-bands

I'll probably end up keeping this one at length, again driving home the painful point that I found too many pens at Ohio that I want for my collection, although thankfully most of the purchases were for the website.

This one... is... really... pretty.

Posted Image

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:15 PM

David;

OS red vein with reverse trim -

Posted Image

OS red vein standard trim, OS Marine green striated with fishscale band and the OS red vein w/reverse trim -

Posted Image

Roger W.

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:40 PM

David;

OS red vein with reverse trim -

Posted Image

OS red vein standard trim, OS Marine green striated with fishscale band and the OS red vein w/reverse trim -

Posted Image

Roger W.

Thanks for posting those gray/red pens, Roger.

I still need to review what I can to figure if Sheaffer catalogued a size/color/trim/price-point specifically with chrome trim, which would lead me to remove the "reverse trim" label (just as I do not call a Carmine Balance Junior with white trim "reverse", as that was the dominant catalogued form for that model, if not for that color overall).

But, if the pens-- even if catalogued-- were offered same size/color/price/tier even with both trims, but with gold-filled obviously the dominant finding today, I still would consider your pens "reverse trim" examples. As with many niche pen findings, formal definitions can get fuzzy at the edges.

One day, I must post the alternate gray/red pattern that turns up in the slim pens and show it side by side with typical gray/red

I do recall having some reservations about your OS pen with the reverse trim, but I might have no way to resolve that ;)

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#4 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:48 PM

<snipped-- Of what I'm not sure offhand, is whether there were specific models that were only shown with chrome, which would-- by my use of the term-- remove the pens from the "reverse trim" category.>

How about Jr Balance in red/grey, which normally would have had chrome trim? I know the truncated-Balance Jr was done in this color w/ chrome trim. Used to have a pencil...which I should not have traded to Nathan Tardif.

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:01 PM

How about Jr Balance in red/grey, which normally would have had chrome trim? I know the truncated-Balance Jr was done in this color w/ chrome trim. Used to have a pencil...which I should not have traded to Nathan Tardif.

Hi Matt,

The first Sheaffer Junior from the era, with flat-ends (the "truncated Balance") is not a Balance, so that is off the table (though, yes, it did have chrome trim).

I'm not certain the gray-with-red Balance appeared as Junior (the 4th tier Balance). The Junior Balance kicked in (replacing "truncated" Junior) about the time gray/red phased out. I'd be happy to see an example though to disprove my belief. If it did appear as Balance, gray-red with chrome for that model would not be "reverse" of course. My pen though is derived from 3-25 (3rd tier) line, based on niib. Of course a no "Sheaffer's" clip in chrome would be identical for 3-25 and Junior lines, but... that's an issue for another day.

I have seen the gray-with-red-specks (uncatalogued (?) variant on gray/red) 3-25 pens (3rd tier) with both trims. Roger has posted a couple reverse trim pens above. I'm not sure offhand if I've seen typical gray-red pattern 3-25 pens with chrome trim, though might have.

regards

david

Posted Image

#6 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:55 AM

One day, I must post the alternate gray/red pattern that turns up in the slim pens and show it side by side with typical gray/red

snipped <I have seen the gray-with-red-specks (uncatalogued (?) variant on gray/red) 3-25 pens (3rd tier) with both trims. Roger has posted a couple reverse trim pens above. I'm not sure offhand if I've seen typical gray-red pattern 3-25 pens with chrome trim, though might have.>

David,

Not to hijack your thread (but you did mention it twice above), is this the grey-with-red specks (they look more like dribbles to me) variant? (Picture lifted from a recent ebay lot.) Very weird, even the grey pearl chunks look different! Is this plastic spiral wrapped like the other grey-red, rolled, or machined from a rod? Any pencils in this variant?

Posted Image

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:29 AM

David,

Not to hijack your thread (but you did mention it twice above), is this the grey-with-red specks (they look more like dribbles to me) variant? (Picture lifted from a recent ebay lot.) Very weird, even the grey pearl chunks look different! Is this plastic spiral wrapped like the other grey-red, rolled, or machined from a rod? Any pencils in this variant?

I highly doubt it.

Oh... wait...

Posted Image

regards

David

Posted Image

#8 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:47 PM

David, thanks for illustrating the variant pattern, but how were they formed? Wrapped, rolled, or milled from rods?

Also, there's a WASP utility pencil in a grey-red. The Pencil Museum has one and Rob Bader had one listed for a long time on ebay, but it's gone now and both pictures are/were small -- is it the same plastic as one of the above or something different? Sorry, hijacking the thread again....

#9 Pedro

Pedro

journeyman

• Members
  • 454 posts
  • LocationWestern Illinois

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:13 PM

Matt:

I believe that red veined marbled grey pens were made from rod celluloid. None of my pens in that material nor others I have seen have what looks like a "seam". From the Sheaffer Pen Museum, see the rod.
Posted Image

At the Sheaffer Pen Museum only Black and Pearl material was shown with a celluloid sheet, and one of mine does have a "seam". The second Flat Top does have that seam.
Posted Image
Pedro
Looking for a Sheaffer OS Balance with a Stub nib and other OS Oddities.

#10 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:55 PM

Matt:

I believe that red veined marbled grey pens were made from rod celluloid. None of my pens in that material nor others I have seen have what looks like a "seam". From the Sheaffer Pen Museum, see the rod.

SNIP

Hi Pedro,

Verily, we touch on some fun subjects this thread.

In my original photo at top of page, note the helical seam in the gray/red pen. It can be seen about an inch from the section, and again between "Sheaffer" and "Pen" on the imprint.

regards

-d

Posted Image

#11 PatM

PatM

journeyman

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:12 PM

Pedro -

David noted the helical seam on his pen and the attached pen shows (I hope) a straight seam in both the cap and barrel.

Posted Image

Pat

#12 Pedro

Pedro

journeyman

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:36 AM

Thanks David and Pat:
I love learning about my beloved Sheaffers! Never a dull moment.
Were any other colours made from sheet celluloid?
Pedro

#13 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:24 AM

SNIP

Were any other colours made from sheet celluloid?

Yep!

-d

Posted Image

#14 Pedro

Pedro

journeyman

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 02:51 AM

Yep!

-d

You slay me, David. Which Sheaffer Balance celluloids were made from rolled sheets?
Pedro

#15 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:20 AM

You slay me, David. Which Sheaffer Balance celluloids were made from rolled sheets?

Hi, I'm a collector not a slayer, though I used to watch a good show about a slayer...

Seemingly late issue early colors (say what?!) show up seamed longitudinally, including black/pearl and marine green. The late Jades? Not sure I've looked closely enough to tell, the seam could be hard to see in the fine mottling.

Middling colors, Gray/Red, Gray/Black... probably. Clearly gray/red has at lead two types of seams, and not sure any were free of seams, but again have not done a hard review. Ebonized? Well, the black ends are fused to the pearly parts, and I'd guess the pearly part is a wrapped tube, certainly the clear-barreled Vac forms. ALL the striated pens are long-seamed.

Regards

David

Posted Image

#16 Pedro

Pedro

journeyman

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:15 PM

Quote: "late issue early colors" -oxymoron figure of speech? Posted Image

I get what you mean, David. I understood that Ebonized Pearl and all the Striated and Vac Fil pens were made with rolled celluloids, but the I had only seen Black & Pearl as the only early colour made that way as I own one.

Any pics of the marbled grey/black showing a seam?
Pedro

#17 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:24 PM

Quote: "late issue early colors" -oxymoron figure of speech? Posted Image

I get what you mean, David. I understood that Ebonized Pearl and all the Striated and Vac Fil pens were made with rolled celluloids, but the I had only seen Black & Pearl as the only early colour made that way as I own one.

No photos on hand that were designed to show them. Need to recharge camera battery (been doing many photos last few days) and need to examine the few black/gray pens I have lying about.

regards

david

Posted Image

#18 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:25 AM

SNIP

Did a bit of poking around the collection. This one is a sweet gray/black. Full size pen. Superb condition. It seems to be seamed. Not all are.

Posted Image

regards

d

Posted Image

#19 Pedro

Pedro

journeyman

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:49 PM

I see the seam!....and can't believe the superb condition of the trim!
Thanks for posting in reply to my query.
Pedro

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users