Photo

No Name 1920's-1930's Celluloid FP. Gorgeous.

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:50 PM

Picked this one up as part of a pile of pens purchased at the Ohio Pen Show, Nov 2011.

I typically avoid low-name and no-name pens, but this one caught my eye. Clean pen with excellent gold-tone (gold-filled perhaps, or very well preserved gold-plated) trim, intact plastic without crazing or barrel swell. But, no name whatsoever to be found on nib or pen. This is a no name pen. But, it is not a junker.

What can I say? I like it.

Posted Image

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 akiva gordon

akiva gordon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationIsrael

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:11 PM

I think it is a lovely pen somewhat reminiscent of a burnham in casein that I have. It came in three colours, red, blue and green.

#3 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:32 PM

Truly a gorgeous pen! If I came across that one on one of my antique shop crawls I'd have to snap it up, no-name or otherwise. I really love a blue pen, and I've never seen one quite like that before. Sweet!

Thanks for letting me see it, David.

Tim
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#4 June H

June H

journeyman

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:41 PM

It is certainly an unusual colour combination . A good catch I must say. Lucky David

June

#5 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • LocationPenguin, NW Tasmania, AUSTRALIA

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:43 AM

Picked this one up as part of a pile of pens purchased at the Ohio Pen Show, Nov 2011.

I typically avoid low-name and no-name pens, but this one caught my eye. Clean pen with excellent gold-tone (gold-filled perhaps, or very well preserved gold-plated) trim, intact plastic without crazing or barrel swell. But, no name whatsoever to be found on nib or pen. This is a no name pen. But, it is not a junker.

What can I say? I like it.

Posted Image

regards

David

What a lovely pen David, even being a no-namer ;) I am familiar with no-namers - LOL

Are you going to share a photo with the cap removed to let us see the nib, as you do with most other pens you share?
I personally would like to see such a photo.

Also, you mention avoiding no-name or 'low' name pens.
Can you provid a list of what you consider 'low' name pens? Again, I'd be interested.
If anyone else has such a list they avoid, I think that would be an interesting thread, and even one for examples of no-name pens... maybe somebody may just be able to identify one or two.

Just a thought, and again, thanks for sharing this beautiful example.

Respectfully
Garth
Penguin, NW Tasmania, Australia

We will be forever known by the tracks we leave behind - Sitting Bull

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:43 AM

SNIP

Also, you mention avoiding no-name or 'low' name pens.
Can you provid a list of what you consider 'low' name pens? Again, I'd be interested.
If anyone else has such a list they avoid, I think that would be an interesting thread, and even one for examples of no-name pens... maybe somebody may just be able to identify one or two.

Just a thought, and again, thanks for sharing this beautiful example.

Respectfully

Oh... yeah.... sure... like I don't have enough people mad at me already, that I want to proactively offend everyone who hunts 3rd tier pens Posted Image

In fact, I don't have a list per se. I just tend to buy quality pens by large and small makers, and buy not-so-quality pens by big makers of interest to me, when those pens relate at some level to my interests.

There are lists out there of generally third tier makers, though even they make the occasional nice piece, or for which the rare near-mint pen is found that looks great, even though it wouldn't tolerate much use before looking... not-great.

regards

d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#7 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:22 AM

Such a beautiful color and condition. I can see why you did not pass on this gem. With pens in this condition harder and harder to find, you will have no problem finding a home for it in the future.

I like "no excuses" collectable. I recently picked up a NOS IWC from the 1960's which included the original IWC lizard strap, and 18k buckle.

Greg Minuskin

#8 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:28 AM

Oh... yeah.... sure... like I don't have enough people mad at me already, that I want to proactively offend everyone who hunts 3rd tier pens Posted Image

In fact, I don't have a list per se. I just tend to buy quality pens by large and small makers, and buy not-so-quality pens by big makers of interest to me, when those pens relate at some level to my interests.

There are lists out there of generally third tier makers, though even they make the occasional nice piece, or for which the rare near-mint pen is found that looks great, even though it wouldn't tolerate much use before looking... not-great.

regards

d

Thanks David.

I thought there might be actual lists - regardless of what individual's think - that list the manufacturers in these tiers.
I will start scouring the internet.

Edited by FmrLEO_GJ, 17 November 2011 - 09:36 PM.

Garth

#9 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:29 AM

Such a beautiful color and condition. I can see why you did not pass on this gem. With pens in this condition harder and harder to find, you will have no problem finding a home for it in the future.

I like "no excuses" collectable. I recently picked up a NOS IWC from the 1960's which included the original IWC lizard strap, and 18k buckle.

Greg Minuskin

What do the initials IWC represent please, Greg?
Garth

#10 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:48 AM

Thanks David.

I thought their might be actual lists - regardless of what individual's think - that list the manufacturers in these tiers.
I will start scouring the internet.

Garth, I was being a bit facetious, light hearted, tongue in cheek... ;)

Yeah, I can contribute bit to list. Too, Paul's book Fountain Pens Past and Present has list of many makers, including quality rankings. The book really is a must-have at $25 for 280 color pages hardcover.

Vaguely recall David Nishimura had a list of low-end makers back in the day. I cannot seem to find it on his website at moment.

The list of low-end USA made pens is huge. Some might have common source. A few that come to mind.

Wearever
Arnold
Avon
Banker (some not too bad)
New Banker (some not too bad)
Majestic,
Traveler
Packard
Park Row
Waterson

I'll look up Paul's book maybe tomorrow and list more

regards

david

Posted Image

#11 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:46 AM

Garth, I was being a bit facetious, light hearted, tongue in cheek... ;)

Yeah, I can contribute bit to list. Too, Paul's book Fountain Pens Past and Present has list of many makers, including quality rankings. The book really is a must-have at $25 for 280 color pages hardcover.

Vaguely recall David Nishimura had a list of low-end makers back in the day. I cannot seem to find it on his website at moment.

The list of low-end USA made pens is huge. Some might have common source. A few that come to mind.

Wearever
Arnold
Avon
Banker (some not too bad)
New Banker (some not too bad)
Majestic,
Traveler
Packard
Park Row
Waterson

I'll look up Paul's book maybe tomorrow and list more

regards

david

Hi David

Realise you were being so ;) but just wondered re listings.
Collecting fountain pens, dip pens, etc., is in the eye - or wallet - of the beholder, and things each of us find attractive or beautiful may / would differ with many others, and vice versa.
It is subjective in that regard; notwithstanding the 'prima facie' rare examples that are scarce on the ground.

I will have a look through some of my fountain pen books to see if they make reference to tiers of pens.
I do, however, look forward to your lists, and any others that people may have.

Regards
Garth

#12 Indy-Pen-Dance

Indy-Pen-Dance

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationZionsville, Indiana

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:50 AM

BEAUUUUTIFUL find David.:P Again making me drool all over my keyboard ...:lol:

Paul's Book is a gem! I have to say I think I probably have worn the lettering off some of my pages (perhaps I need another copy:rolleyes: ). The one thing that I can't seem to find in it however, and that I find myself interested in just "because" are the purse / necklace end & itsy bitsy pens - like "Peter Pan's" I know that many of these were created as "novelty" pens - but some of them have really flexy nibs and are quite fun. The Problem? Trying to figure out value of course. Sometimes it doesn't matter because I'll buy what I like at a reasonable price - sometimes I need to know I am getting value for my money.

Thanks for pointing out Paul's book David. I think it's great to remind everyone of treasures like this. If not for this great ID guide I know I would not have at least a couple of really nice pens because when I was first starting my collection I wouldn't have had a clue that they were worthy of my attention!

Linda

Have an old fountain pen that needs restored or a newer one that needs some TLC? We provide quality restoration and nib work so your pens can glide across the page as gracefully as the best Waltz dancers.

www.Indy-Pen-Dance.com

#13 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:05 AM

BEAUUUUTIFUL find David.:P Again making me drool all over my keyboard ...:lol:

SNIP

The one thing that I can't seem to find in it however, and that I find myself interested in just "because" are the purse / necklace end & itsy bitsy pens - like "Peter Pan's" I know that many of these were created as "novelty" pens - but some of them have really flexy nibs and are quite fun.

SNIP

Thanks for pointing out Paul's book David. I think it's great to remind everyone of treasures like this. If not for this great ID guide I know I would not have at least a couple of really nice pens because when I was first starting my collection I wouldn't have had a clue that they were worthy of my attention!

Linda

Sigh. I probably should not mention that back in my photo archiving days (6000+ pens shot at shows, life-sized in print), on one visit to the Portland Pen Show I photo'd a world-class collection of baby pens. Really must edit that bunch one of these days...

Posted Image

#14 Blotto

Blotto

journeyman

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationNorth OC, CA

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:01 PM

Those Park Row's can really be cheesy.

URL=http://fountainpenboard.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&img=688]Posted Image[/URL]

Also the lever imprint on the NoName is not unusual on Eclipses, along with the lever box.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dunno about the cap band. Will return if I can find more info.

#15 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:38 PM

What do the initials IWC represent please, Greg?

IWC represent International Watch Company. One of the top 8 brands in Switzerland.

#16 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:47 PM

Those Park Row's can really be cheesy.

URL=http://fountainpenboard.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&module=images&img=688]Posted Image[/URL]

Also the lever imprint on the NoName is not unusual on Eclipses, along with the lever box.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dunno about the cap band. Will return if I can find more info.

G'day Blotto ;)

Lovely pens. All three of them.
Garth

#17 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:47 PM

IWC represent International Watch Company. One of the top 8 brands in Switzerland.

Thanks for the information Greg :)

Much appreciated.
Garth

#18 Blotto

Blotto

journeyman

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationNorth OC, CA

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:40 PM

G'day Blotto ;)

Lovely pens. All three of them.

Thankee. Eclipses have become one of my itches...along with Park Rows, Marxtons, Jackwins, and Keens, and the Canadian products (c. 1940) are also good looking. Unfortunately the nibs, usually Warenteed or IGP's keep them out of the Pantheon of Great Pens.

#19 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:39 AM

Thanks for the information Greg :)

Much appreciated.

My pleasure Garth. If you have any watch questions, please email me and I will be happy to assist.

I guess it is appropriate to state I was an Antique Roadshow appraiser for 7 years, as well as the west cost consultant for Sotheby's for watches for many years as well. Just wanted to give you a bit of my background with regard to watchesPosted Image

Greg Minuskin

#20 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:35 AM

My pleasure Garth. If you have any watch questions, please email me and I will be happy to assist.

I guess it is appropriate to state I was an Antique Roadshow appraiser for 7 years, as well as the west cost consultant for Sotheby's for watches for many years as well. Just wanted to give you a bit of my background with regard to watchesPosted Image

Greg Minuskin

Thanks again Greg :)

Antiques Roadshow is one of the very few TV shows I watch, and thoroughly enjoy.
Sotheby's eh? Did you work with Tim [Bargain Hunt] there?
Garth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users