#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:35 PM

Greetings,
This post marks the 10,000th to appear on FPB. Not at all bad for a wee pen board started with the hope-- but hardly the strong expectation-- to generate thriving online discussion in Board format with a strong emphasis on the collecting side of pendom, though certainly conversation is embraced for other elements of the hobby. So far we are doing pretty well, and posting rate of late has been up substantially.

The human side of the hobby is a major part of our field's charm, and those of us who attend pen shows (I've probably hit close to 100 of them during the last 13 years) have been blessed to strike up friendships and to make long term acquaintances.

So, I posted below a shot from 2004 during the NYC Pen Show, when a crowd visited my small apartment at 95th Street and Broadway. Ahhh, all of us look a bit older now (well, at least the gents do).

I will offer a prize to readers, in celebration of survival of the Board nearly 18 months, a challenge to those of you who know the people behind the posts, who attend pen shows and who wish to take a stab.

There are 9 faces in the shot below. Name all 9 people, and collect a free (with shipping in USA included) out of production SENSA Ballpoint Pen with Plasma(?) gel grip. Sensa I believe is the company who made the squishy grip popular, and the pens often were quite nicely done

Posted Image

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • LocationPenguin, NW Tasmania, AUSTRALIA

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:07 PM

I don't really know anyone, but will have a go at guessing, and from 'signatures' to posts to try and get at least a couple correct. :)

From L to R: Mr. David Nishimura, Mr. Paul Erano, don't know the lady, Mr. Richard Binder, Mrs. Binder?, Mr. Rick Propas?, Dr. David Isaacson, don't know the lady, but killer smile, and pass on the final gentleman.

Well the newbie Aussie has had a go, so I would imagine the more - in the know members - will nail this very quickly.

Looks like a fun night was had by all, and you were drinking good beer too. ;)
Garth
Penguin, NW Tasmania, Australia

We will be forever known by the tracks we leave behind - Sitting Bull

#3 Ron Z

Ron Z

Advisor

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:55 PM

Not that I'd be much of a help - I can think of first names for two and could come up with the last name one of them if I dug a bit, but on one the last name is a complete blank... and she bought one of my very early light tents from me too.

Unfair David! I doubt that anyone could guess 3rd from left.

Posted Image
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Visit Main Street Pens

The Blue Fingers Blog is live! Ramblings and musings (and occasional repair tips) from the bench.

#4 John Jenkins

John Jenkins

journeyman

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • LocationDallas

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:26 PM

Perhaps a more important question is who's apartment is this and why do they have a giant smiling banana hangning in the background?

John
The poster formerely known as Buzz J

#5 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 11:35 PM

David has admitted it is his apartment, so I guess the banana is for 'a peel'? :blink:
Garth

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:09 AM

Not that I'd be much of a help - I can think of first names for two and could come up with the last name one of them if I dug a bit, but on one the last name is a complete blank... and she bought one of my very early light tents from me too.

Unfair David! I doubt that anyone could guess 3rd from left.

Hey, isn't the Admin policy at some OTHER board that says, "we don't hafta be fair!"??? Posted Image

But, my goal is not to be unfair, but the picture is as it is. I suppose it would not violate the prize for whoever does better, if you leaked the name of the chin and glasses third from left.

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:09 AM

Perhaps a more important question is who's apartment is this and why do they have a giant smiling banana hangning in the background?

John

Read da first post, John ;)

Though, really, given the crowd, do you really need to ask...

-d

Posted Image

#8 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:12 AM

I don't really know anyone, but will have a go at guessing, and from 'signatures' to posts to try and get at least a couple correct. :)

From L to R: Mr. David Nishimura, Mr. Paul Erano, don't know the lady, Mr. Richard Binder, Mrs. Binder?, Mr. Rick Propas?, Dr. David Isaacson, don't know the lady, but killer smile, and pass on the final gentleman.

Well the newbie Aussie has had a go, so I would imagine the more - in the know members - will nail this very quickly.

Looks like a fun night was had by all, and you were drinking good beer too. ;)

Oh, Garth, really (I'm still trying to get air)... thanks so much. Seriously. You pretty much win an honorary Sensa, even with nearly everything wrong, if only because I have not had so hard an honest air-loss belly laugh in more time than I care to remember, a chuckle so protracted-- pure and simple with no sarcasm or facetiousness, that I'm still seeing spots before my eyes.

More later...

-d

Posted Image

#9 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:29 AM

Oh, Garth, really (I'm still trying to get air)... thanks so much. Seriously. You pretty much win an honorary Sensa, even with nearly everything wrong, if only because I have not had so hard an honest air-loss belly laugh in more time than I care to remember, a chuckle so protracted-- pure and simple with no sarcasm or facetiousness, that I'm still seeing spots before my eyes.

More later...

-d

Glad you got a laugh David :lol:

Apart from knowing the Sensa is the pen mentioned for the prize, I wondered if a 'sensa' was the dullard version of a 'mensa' award :blink:;)

Did I get ANY correct; apart from you?
Garth

#10 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 18 November 2011 - 12:55 AM

Glad you got a laugh David :lol:

Apart from knowing the Sensa is the pen mentioned for the prize, I wondered if a 'sensa' was the dullard version of a 'mensa' award :blink:;)

Did I get ANY correct; apart from you?

Well, yes, maybe. In the back just to the left of the floor lamp, are Richard and Barbara Binder.

regards

David

Posted Image

#11 Maja

Maja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:49 PM

Well, yes, maybe. In the back just to the left of the floor lamp, are Richard and Barbara Binder.

regards

David

I believe Garth also identified you correctly too, David ;)

I've never met him in person ( I've bought some nice pens from him, though :D ), but the person 2nd from the left is Ron Zorn. Next to him might be his wife Robyn (just guessing)....

edit--Congrats on the 10K board post!

Edited by Maja, 18 November 2011 - 03:51 PM.

http://www.vancouverpenclub.com/
Vancouver Pen Club-- Vancouver, BC, Canada

#12 Ron Z

Ron Z

Advisor

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 10:14 PM

The person to my left hiding behind me is not Robyn. That was my now 6 foot 2 son Tyler at about age13. I think that was his first pen show as a helper (the whole family was tagging along to DC before this one) and was my first NY pen show. Both boys were being home schooled, so they traded off going to a pen show with Dad. Tyler did NY that year, Aaron did Ohio, Robyn did Philadelphia the following January. With one exception, I have always gone to a show with a family member with me, and it was great to take the boys along.

Posted Image
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Visit Main Street Pens

The Blue Fingers Blog is live! Ramblings and musings (and occasional repair tips) from the bench.

#13 Maja

Maja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 11:17 PM

The person to my left hiding behind me is not Robyn. That was my now 6 foot 2 son Tyler at about age13. I think that was his first pen show as a helper (the whole family was tagging along to DC before this one) and was my first NY pen show. Both boys were being home schooled, so they traded off going to a pen show with Dad. Tyler did NY that year, Aaron did Ohio, Robyn did Philadelphia the following January. With one exception, I have always gone to a show with a family member with me, and it was great to take the boys along.

Sorry Ron--it was a shot in the dark :) (the face is almost entirely hidden)

#14 Ron Z

Ron Z

Advisor

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:44 AM

Sorry Ron...

No offense taken! Tyler would just roll his eyes and smile.

So David, do I have to come up with last names too?

Posted Image

Visit Main Street Pens

#15 Maja

Maja

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 07:32 AM

<snip>

Thanks, Ron ;)

Ok, David---the suspense is mounting! Any more clues? I don't intend to guess again but I am a bit curious...

#16 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:57 PM

So David, do I have to come up with last names too?

Ron, you are welcome to play though given you were present at the dinner, you do have a bit of an advantage...

But, yes, you do have to give last names ;)

d

Posted Image

#17 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:58 PM

Thanks, Ron ;)

Ok, David---the suspense is mounting! Any more clues? I don't intend to guess again but I am a bit curious...

Hi Maja,

Dunno if this is a clue type of game. More "do you know 'em or not?". Not sure how to give clues without spilling beans. Probably was a mean quiz ;)

-d

Posted Image

#18 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:43 PM

Hi Maja,

Dunno if this is a clue type of game. More "do you know 'em or not?". Not sure how to give clues without spilling beans. Probably was a mean quiz ;)

-d

I don't see it as a 'mean' quiz; just a bit of fun. ;)

Take a stab as I did, whoever wants too. I must admit to looking forward to the answer.
All I did was write names down that I knew I had seen mentioned in posts on a regular basis as being 'learned' in FP collecting - I even had Ron's name down but didn't pick it out of the list :(
Garth

#19 Inka

Inka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:36 AM

I see familiar faces and names on this forum, and faces in the photo.
I don't have all 9 names, yet, and I don't need a free SENSA Ballpoint, it's just really good to be here and this is my first post!
It's nice to have found an alternative forum that has the look and feel of the old that I miss, having educated adults and a little fun is a bonus.
I thought it was the Dr. Grip that made the first squishy front end ball pen, but then what do I know about them other than they were the only ball writers I could write with w/o hand pain.
I don't think the Dr. Grip or Sanford squishy pens had "plasmium fluid gel" either, whatever that is, something else I guess I'll have to research and have some fun with.
I've just read the SENSA has nitrogen-charged ink cartridges like my Fisher Space Pen, I love my Space Pens for times they do come in handy over my FPs.
Someone should answer the question and jump on this pen, at least I think it's this one here being offered, even though I don't need it I'd like to hear all about it once used!

I'll be seeing y'all around, liking what I've seen here so far!

~Scott~

~ Scott B. ~

#20 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:28 AM

I think I see Richard Binder and his wife, and of course David. Not sure on the rest though. Just goes to prove that I need to attend more pen shows!

What are you all eating?

Greg Minuskin

Edited by Greg Minuskin, 21 November 2011 - 03:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users