12 replies to this topic

#1 Jason

Jason

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 07:03 PM

Hi all- please forgive me, but this is the first time I am trying to post some pictures...

I got this pen in a lot of 3rd tier pens some years ago, and have never been able to identify it, or figure out the filling system. Any info would be great, as I don't recognize the clip, the triangle design on the nib, or the filler.

Thanks, Jason

Attached Files

#2 djohannsen

djohannsen

journeyman

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • LocationFredericksburg, VA

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:05 PM

Hi all- please forgive me, but this is the first time I am trying to post some pictures...

I got this pen in a lot of 3rd tier pens some years ago, and have never been able to identify it, or figure out the filling system. Any info would be great, as I don't recognize the clip, the triangle design on the nib, or the filler.

Thanks, Jason

Jason:

I can't help with the make of the pen, but I would guess that the filling system is a syringe filler (uncommon on pens made after about 1910-1915). First, the threading on the end of the rod seems to me to indicate that it should be connected to a plunger in the barrel. The lack of threads on the rod and the long blind cap indicate to me that the pen is a syringe filler, rather than a piston filler. To fill the pen, one submerges the nib and presses the filler filling rod down, thereby expelling the air (or depress over the bottle, so that you don't spatter ink everywhere). Then pulling up on the filler draws ink into the pen (just like filling a hypodermic syringe). Then, leaving the filling rod extended, one would screw back on the long blind cap (to keep the rod from being inadvertantly depressed, thereby shooting ink everywhere). That the pen uses this filling system (which had it's heyday around the dawn of the twentieth century) indicates to me a lower tier maker (which you may be hard pressed to identify). I hope that this helps.

Dave

#3 Jason

Jason

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 08:28 PM

Dave- If I understand correctly, one would unscrew both the blind cap (Black with the rod) and the sleeve (body colored celluloid), then re-attach the blind cap and refill the pen. Then you would have to unscrew the blind cap, re-attach the sleeve to the body, and then re-attach the blind cap!

This seems like the most annoying filler that I have ever heard or, or am I missing something really basic?

By the way, the nib seems to actually be gold, not the usual gold wash over base metal.

Thanks, Jason

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:12 PM

Dave- If I understand correctly, one would unscrew both the blind cap (Black with the rod) and the sleeve (body colored celluloid), then re-attach the blind cap and refill the pen. Then you would have to unscrew the blind cap, re-attach the sleeve to the body, and then re-attach the blind cap!

This seems like the most annoying filler that I have ever heard or, or am I missing something really basic?

By the way, the nib seems to actually be gold, not the usual gold wash over base metal.

Thanks, Jason

Hi Jason,

I'm not a repair guy, but I believe Dave outlines a somewhat easier process.

The barrel-colored blind cap unscrews and removes (as one would do with a Parker Vacumatic blind cap). The black cap on the plunger then simply is pushed down (as the syringe assembly is in some sort of permanent contact with the barrel, via a (dissolved now) plunger head). Then upon pulling back the black cap on the syringe stem, the pen fills. With the stem (with black cap attached) in the extended position, the colored blind cap then is closed over it.

The only filler cap to remove is the matching cap. The black piece stays attached to the syringe stem. Not very complicated, indeed faster than filling a Parker Vac. The trick in restoration might be in replacing/recreating the plunger's front end.

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#5 Jason

Jason

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:22 PM

David- I wish it were so. The black cap screws on the end of the body colored cap section. The body colored part is not a cap, but a sleeve, with male threaded sections on both ends. There is no way to remove the sleeve without removing the cap with the rod attached. I will try to take some better photos, I just wish I had your skill.

Thanks, Jason

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:31 PM

David- I wish it were so. The black cap screws on the end of the body colored cap section. The body colored part is not a cap, but a sleeve, with male threaded sections on both ends. There is no way to remove the sleeve without removing the cap with the rod attached. I will try to take some better photos, I just wish I had your skill.

Thanks, Jason

Seems then I was mistaken. Sounds like a challenging arrangement ;)

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#7 Jason

Jason

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:35 PM

Well- see what you think- I tried again with the photos......

Jason

Attached Files

#8 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:38 PM

Jason

Dunno. Certainly seems awkward; maybe the first of that sort I've seen.

regards

-d

Posted Image

#9 djohannsen

djohannsen

journeyman

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • LocationFredericksburg, VA

Posted 07 August 2010 - 10:57 PM

Jason

I was very much wrong - I'm sorry to have given bad information. Now that you've posted the additional photos, I am non-plussed. Maybe one of the repair gurus has seen something like this... I will be interested to hear from those who are more knowledgeable.

Dave

#10 Jason

Jason

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:06 PM

Thanks for the input. I am a long time lurker, and have never seen a photo like this pen on the "other" site either. I am somewhat scared of hurting a weird pen. I will hopefully get to go to the DC pen show. Should I bring this along to see if anyone has any ideas?

Jason

#11 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:14 PM

Thanks for the input. I am a long time lurker, and have never seen a photo like this pen on the "other" site either. I am somewhat scared of hurting a weird pen. I will hopefully get to go to the DC pen show. Should I bring this along to see if anyone has any ideas?

Jason

Well repair guys set up there, including (perhaps not limited to) El Zorno, Richard, and Aaron, probably could give some insight if given chance to play with it.

regards

David

Posted Image

#12 Jason

Jason

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:27 PM

Hi- I found a clue!! I was just looking at the Sears Diamond Medal thread, and in the catalog scans there are some Good Service pens that have the same triangle imprint on the nib. Now, if I could just figure out what that means, as I would expect many more similar pens around if Sears had sold them.

Jason

#13 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:33 AM

Hi Jason,
I suspect it is a piston filler , when together the theaded end of the rod would screw into a fully threaded tube (with a piston at the bottom) which would then be screwed to either raise or lower the plunger. I have seen similiar types before. Assuming it's all there it probably only needs a new piston seal. Disclaimer: I could be completely wrong too!!

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users