30 replies to this topic

#1 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:35 AM

When Sheaffer started in Australia is an often asked question. Again arose in another topic here recently, so after some work...an answer !!

The Argus 22 Feb. 1947 :

US PEN TOBE MADE

IN AUSTRALIA

Mr G. Stott returned by air' yes-terday from his second visit toUSA, where he completed arrange-ments with the W. A. Sheaffer PenCo, of Iowa and Canada, <to producethe company's pens in this country.

Mr Stott arranged to obtain themost modern machines for use inthis country under royalty from theAmerican firm. Australian materialswill be largely used in the localproduct.

Erection of a new plant will soonbe commenced by Mr Stotfs firm inWarrigal rd, East Malvern. The firmalready manufactures Sheaffer writ| ing fluid, for which unique qualities are claimed.

From the same source 23 Jan. 1951

New Australianpen companyto be formed

W. A. Sheaffer Pen Co. (Aust.)Pty. Ltd. will be registered shortlywith nominal capital of £100,000.

There will be no issue of stockin Australia.

W. A. Sheaffer Pen Co. ofU.S.A. & Canada will hold thecontrolling interest.

W. A. Sheaffer is the majorpen company in the world, withassets of $30 million.

The new company will takeover from W. G. & A. J. StottInvestments Pty. Ltd., which hasbeen the solo agent in Australiafor eight years.

For five years it manufacturedwriting ink, and exported it to26 foreign countries.

The new company will makewriting instruments in addition

to ink.

Directors are C. R. Sheaffer(president of the parent com-pany), G. F. Olsen (vice-presi-dent), and Glen W. Stott.

Same source 06Jan 1953:

The display comes fromthe plant of W. A. SheafferCo. (Aust.) Pty. Ltd. Theonly plant in Australasiamaking fountain pens.

After only two years of

already exporting -to 32production the firm isforeign countries all over theworld.

Which would appear to point to 1951 as the start.

Regards

Hugh

Edited by Hugh, 24 November 2011 - 01:38 AM.

Hugh Cordingley

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:00 AM

Geez, Hugh.

That's nice information. I had not seen any of this information before.

Thanks for sharing.

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • LocationPenguin, NW Tasmania, AUSTRALIA

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:51 AM

[quote name='Hugh' date='24 November 2011 - 11:35 AM' timestamp='1322098505' post='10544']
When Sheaffer started in Australia is an often asked question. Again arose in another topic here recently, so after some work...an answer !!

The Argus 22 Feb. 1947 :

US PEN TOBE MADE

IN AUSTRALIA

Mr G. Stott returned by air' yes-terday from his second visit toUSA, where he completed arrange-ments with the W. A. Sheaffer PenCo, of Iowa and Canada, <to producethe company's pens in this country.

Mr Stott arranged to obtain themost modern machines for use inthis country under royalty from theAmerican firm. Australian materialswill be largely used in the localproduct.

Erection of a new plant will soonbe commenced by Mr Stotfs firm inWarrigal rd, East Malvern. The firmalready manufactures Sheaffer writ| ing fluid, for which unique qualities are claimed.

From the same source 23 Jan. 1951

New Australianpen companyto be formed

W. A. Sheaffer Pen Co. (Aust.)Pty. Ltd. will be registered shortlywith nominal capital of £100,000.

There will be no issue of stockin Australia.

W. A. Sheaffer Pen Co. ofU.S.A. & Canada will hold thecontrolling interest.

W. A. Sheaffer is the majorpen company in the world, withassets of $30 million.

The new company will takeover from W. G. & A. J. StottInvestments Pty. Ltd., which hasbeen the solo agent in Australiafor eight years.

For five years it manufacturedwriting ink, and exported it to26 foreign countries.

The new company will makewriting instruments in addition

to ink.

Directors are C. R. Sheaffer(president of the parent com-pany), G. F. Olsen (vice-presi-dent), and Glen W. Stott.

Same source 06Jan 1953:

The display comes fromthe plant of W. A. SheafferCo. (Aust.) Pty. Ltd. Theonly plant in Australasiamaking fountain pens.

After only two years of

already exporting -to 32production the firm isforeign countries all over theworld.

Which would appear to point to 1951 as the start.

Regards

Hugh

Edited by FmrLEO_GJ, 24 November 2011 - 02:53 AM.

Garth
Penguin, NW Tasmania, Australia

We will be forever known by the tracks we leave behind - Sitting Bull

#4 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:53 AM

Thanks for that information Hugh ;)

I have made it into a word.doc and a PDF.

P.S. I posted some images of my Sheaffers in my Gallery as album - My Sheaffers. Maybe you can help me identify them? I didn't want to make a topic as they spin so quickly with the FOR SALE items they simply disappear from the RHS of the page.
Garth

#5 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:17 AM

Just had a look at my Sheaffers under the loupe with the LED's as seen in photo below:

Posted Image

L to R -
Black Snorkel [Australia]
Grey Touchdown [Australia] has clear imprint on barrel, as stated in Hugh's article.
Black Touchdown [Australia]
Targa [Australia]
Carmine [?] Balance [Iowa, USA]

So, what I really want to know is, does this make my paltry group any more significant?
Garth

#6 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:15 AM

Hi Garth,

I think the real beauty of Australian Sheaffers is the "National Pride" associated with them, they are less common than US production noting there are more US collectors who also suffer from "National Pride" meaning values appears on par ( to me anyway). The lower models are more prevalent, the 3 on the left fall into that category ( does the grey have "23" on the nib? If so it's Cadet 23, made for a couple of years in the early '60's and not that common...this doesn't translate into increased value though) . Your Targa is the best value wise of the Aussies, and would have been a relatively expensive pen in it's day , that's not meant to downplay the others. The carmine is out of my field, it's a popular colour though.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#7 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:20 AM

Geez, Hugh.

That's nice information. I had not seen any of this information before.

Thanks for sharing.

-d

Thanks David, I'll add bits if they come to hand starting with this from the topic that led to this.

Grant Olsen died as a result of a BOAC crash in Singapore, 1954

The article SMH 15th Mar. 1954 (full article)

Mr. Grant F. Olson, 48, was a vice-president of the Sheaffer

Fountain Pen Co. of FortMadison, Iowa, U.S.A., whichhas a factory at Heidelberg,Melbourne.

Mr. Olson, who came toAustralia on a business trip amonth ago, was returninghome to see his son graduateat Culver Military College this

week.

Mr. John Sheaffer, anothervice-president of the company,was in Australia with Mr. Ol- son, but left Sydney in anotherplane because the companywould not allow both vice-

presidents to fly in the sameplane.

Regards
Hugh

Edited by Hugh, 24 November 2011 - 04:22 AM.

Hugh Cordingley

#8 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:28 AM

Hi Garth,

I think the real beauty of Australian Sheaffers is the "National Pride" associated with them, they are less common than US production noting there are more US collectors who also suffer from "National Pride" meaning values appears on par ( to me anyway). The lower models are more prevalent, the 3 on the left fall into that category ( does the grey have "23" on the nib? If so it's Cadet 23, made for a couple of years in the early '60's and not that common...this doesn't translate into increased value though) . Your Targa is the best value wise of the Aussies, and would have been a relatively expensive pen in it's day , that's not meant to downplay the others. The carmine is out of my field, it's a popular colour though.

Regards
Hugh

Hi Hugh ;)

Yes the grey one does have a 23 on the nib.
Now I know what it is. A Cadet. Am I correct calling it a touchdown?

The Targa IS special, and a beautiful pen to write with.

Edited by FmrLEO_GJ, 24 November 2011 - 06:22 AM.

Garth

#9 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 09:19 AM

Hi Hugh ;)

Yes the grey one does have a 23 on the nib.
Now I know what it is. A Cadet. Am I correct calling it a touchdown?

The Targa IS special, and a beautiful pen to write with.

Hi Garth,

Have a look at this topic , it covers a fair bit of ground regarding the Cadet "23". It appears that Sheaffer called it a "Tipdip".

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#10 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 10:36 AM

Hi Garth,

Have a look at this topic , it covers a fair bit of ground regarding the Cadet "23". It appears that Sheaffer called it a "Tipdip".

Regards
Hugh

Hello again Hugh

What a great thread an information. Thank you. It looks like I will have to copy - paste - edit this into one document for reference... UNLESS great threads like these are saved somehow as reference material, or the Board Admin's have that power, as I feel that particular thread, when put together is a wealth of information.

I didn't read it in it's entirety but from the brief 'scan' my grey one with the gold 23 nib, and black section, makes it early, and the nib 'may' be a replacement, even if interchangeable?! :blink: Am I right there? It would also appear less common / rare[r] than the other known colours. [I MUST do that copy and paste thingy :) ]

I will take a series of photographs of it over the next day or so [ any suggestions as to an effective background colour to photograph a pastel grey pen on?]

Appreciative, as always, to the brains-trust that exists on this forum, and their willingness to teach and share with numbties like me.B)

Edited by FmrLEO_GJ, 26 November 2011 - 12:34 AM.

Garth

#11 Sam C

Sam C

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 06:10 AM

Great info on the Aussie action, Hugh!
I like to cbeck out the Sheaffers on the Melbourne pen site and appreciate the variety of PFM displayed.
One comment made on that site is that the administrator has never seen an Aussie grey PFM mated to an Aussie 14k inlaid nib. I find that unusual- --
do you or other Sheaffer fans have any info on the aussie pfm production irregularities??
Just Curious,
Sam C.

#12 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:25 AM

I like to cbeck out the Sheaffers on the Melbourne pen site and appreciate the variety of PFM displayed.
One comment made on that site is that the administrator has never seen an Aussie grey PFM mated to an Aussie 14k inlaid nib. I find that unusual- --
do you or other Sheaffer fans have any info on the aussie pfm production irregularities??
Just Curious,
Sam C.

Hi Sam,

As far a being absolutely "correct", I don't think there's a definitive answer. In saying that Peter would have seen a lot of Aussie PFMs so his observation may well be correct and probably as good as it gets. From a logical point of view, we know grey was a late colour and only a available for a few years so maybe simply using US sections and nibs was the cost efficient option? A personal observation is that I see a lot of pens with a mix of origins, mainly Aust. nibs with US bodies ( Imperials and Targas come to mind) and my initial thought is these have been mixed at a later date as well some turn up with no country of origin marked on the actual body of the pen ( my SS Imperial TD is one, just an Aust.nib). Still the numbers are greater than I'd expect so maybe it's just a sign of "globalization", I have a couple. On PFMs, while I don't focus on them ( cough, splutter etc., my one and only PFM V is US made) most Aust. made ones seem the same as US made , perhaps more medium nibs though. I do doubt that Aust. Autographs exist (??) .

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#13 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:32 AM

Some more info from the Heidelberg Historical Society ( where the Sheaffer Factory was situated)

"We do not hold much information on Shaeffer at all. I checked Sands & McDougall for 1952 and it was not there then, and unfortunately the next Sands & McDougall directory we hold is 1965 and it is there then- so somewhere between those two dates!! The address was 112 Mount Street, although it seemed to expand to 100-120 Mount St in 1971."

This does cast some doubt on the 1951 start date, maybe during 1952 after the directory was published. Amazing how difficult it to track down what should be easy to find out!!

Regards
Hugh

Here's a link to 112 Mount St. ...currently housing "Female Care Funeral Directors"....am I hitting a dead end in this quest or what? Posted Image

Edited by Hugh, 08 December 2011 - 02:39 AM.

Hugh Cordingley

#14 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:09 AM

A selection of Aust. Sheaffers

Posted Image
Includes a TD Crafsman mint set, I believe this was the first model ('51/52)made in Australia. This one has no country of origin on the nib. Speculation: Early production. Also a neat mint set ( based on the L.Sheaffer style?) minus the BP, this carries the small triumph nib making it pre 1972 ( suspect late '60's) and lastly an Imp. VIII.

Posted Image

Nibs for above

Posted Image

Snorkel desk pen, this carries a gold tube and the later style section. Every indication is that snork production began in '54 ( I've not seen the early section on an Aust. pen) yet gold tubes are known. Speculation: First models produced in Aust. carried a gold tube to identify them ?

Posted Image

a selection of late '50's early '60s pens including a Crest set, a couple snorks, a Craftsman 23 and two unknown TD pens. High end snorks such as Crests are uncommon, I've yet to see a higher model but believe GP snorks are out there.

Posted Image

Lastly a few later models, a SS Imperial TD ( the body carries no country of origin but nib does (Aust.), maybe thecap and barrel where imported from the US?), a GP Targa and a GP Imperial and my new Longines.

There is no indication that Sheaffer Aust. ever produced solid gold pens , solid gold caps or Autograph/Signature models making the SS TD a true high end model. Other models include at least the PFM , Imperial range, Lady Sheaffers , Stylist and various cartridge pens none of which I have....yetPosted Image

Regards
Hugh

Edited by Hugh, 24 May 2012 - 03:15 AM.

Hugh Cordingley

#15 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:30 AM

Hugh;

Did you catch the Sheaffer museum quiz? The Australian subsidiary was started in 1951. As the quiz was late 50's I think that a known and reliable date to the quiz writers. A couple of the other answers from the 1920's were in error.

Roger W.

#16 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:14 AM

Hugh;

Did you catch the Sheaffer museum quiz? The Australian subsidiary was started in 1951. As the quiz was late 50's I think that a known and reliable date to the quiz writers. A couple of the other answers from the 1920's were in error.

Roger W.

Hi Roger,

Not familiar with the "quiz" but it's nice to have a fairly firm conformation of the start date.....so from now on it's a 1951 start !! Thank you Roger. It's been a relatively difficult task to piece together what should have been easily found info. I've yet to go to the major libraries or Uni. archives, that may or may not take place at a later date...such is lifePosted Image

Regards
Hugh

Edit to add: Of course forming the subsidiary and the commencement of pen production are two different things and might not have occurred in the same calender year.

Edited by Hugh, 24 May 2012 - 09:59 PM.

Hugh Cordingley

#17 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

Hugh;

Roger W.

Hi Roger,

Not familiar with the "quiz" but it's nice to have a fairly firm conformation of the start date.....so from now on it's a 1951 start !! Thank you Roger. It's been a relatively difficult task to piece together what should have been easily found info. I've yet to go to the major libraries or Uni. archives, that may or may not take place at a later date...such is lifePosted Image

Regards
Hugh

The quiz is here QUIZ. You have to link up the answers on their page eight.

If you take the quiz here are the two that I would say are in error -

#2 is 1924 because that is when the white dot was introduced and is documented in the contemporary filing of the trademark which states the first in use date as it was filed in 1925 I'm sure they knew the correct date. Now if you want to say white dot equals lifetime than 1920 is the date but, it isn't really the same thing.

#9 is complicated as "Skrip" was trademarked in 1921 with the trademark being used continuously since April 10, 1920. This fits in with Walter Sheaffer's unofficial biography about the first formulation of Sheaffer ink having issues. (It worked fine as long as that was the only ink that had ever been in the pen, otherwise, traditional ink would make the Sheaffer ink separate.) Sheaffer likely reintroduced Skrip quietly in 1922 but, it wasn't advertised until May 1924.

Roger W.

#18 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:36 AM

Just Curious,
Sam C.

Actually grey PFMs with Aussie nibs do occur, I recently saw one.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#19 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 09:59 AM

I came across something the significance of which I didn't realize until later

IMG_1332.JPG

An ordinary Fineline Bp in near mint condition

IMG_1333.JPG

Fully marked as Australian, I bought it out of interest thinking it a later model and these are near impossible to find , then I opened it

IMG_1334.JPG

Yep, an early BP with an Aussie made refill. I've never seen one before. This was one find that really gave "that " feeling of finding a truly rare ( if of little value...) item.

Regards

Hugh

Hugh Cordingley

#20 RayCornett

RayCornett

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:48 AM

I just had this pen identified in a post I made earlier this evening and he suggested I come here, too . Triumph 550(Triumph 550 G.T.) But the ones I see on Google are made in USA. Were they made in both countries simultaniously? I assume now that I read the history above the G.T. is for initials of one of the owners of the company?

The color looks much much lighter than the actual deep blue it is due to the flash on my cell phone.

Attached Files

Edited by RayCornett, 28 February 2014 - 05:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users