#21 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:29 PM

Hi Ray,

Made in both countries, there appear to be no uniquely Australian models made by Sheaffer although I've heard it said there was a unique Aust. Snorkel but I've never seen anything that's not standard. While Sheaffer (Aust.) had a fairly large and diverse range Sheaffer (US) certainly produced more models, especially the high end, in a lot of lines. The lack of any Sheaffer literature relating to Aust. means it's just a matter of waiting to see what models turn up, yours in one.

Regards

Hugh

Hugh Cordingley

#22 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:39 PM

A few more, two Targas, two Lady Sheaffers and a SS TD that I posted earlier. While all the nibs are marked as Aust. only the gold plated Targa is marked elsewhere,  I assume the rest of the other pens probably imported.

IMG_1286.JPG

Regards

Hugh

Hugh Cordingley

#23 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:21 PM

I have a different type of "Australian Sheaffer".  It was purchased in Australia by my Dad when he was stationed there with the 46th Engineers in 1942 or so.  It is a black Sheaffer Triumph with vacuum fill, that was, of course, made in USA.  I remember it being used, mostly by my Mom, all through my childhood.  My Mom thought the nib was too broad, so she flipped it over and wrote with it that way to get a finer line. Unfortunately, it no longer fills, and these are sort of tricky repairs.

gallery_6983_116_17909.jpg

The broad gold cap band appears to be solid 14k, since the pen is very worn, but there is no brassing at all on the band. It isn't marked, but it has the look of solid gold.  You can see the clip is quite brassed.  Anybody know about this? 

Unfortunately, it no longer fills, and these are sort of tricky repairs.  I regularly repair expensive pens, but hesitate to do so with this one because of the sentimental value. I intend to send it to someone for repair, but haven't done so yet. 

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar.  And doesn't.

Regards,
Allan

#24 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:28 PM

Nice Triumph.  Gerry Berg does excellent work with these and has quick turnaround. Doubt the cap-liip is solid gold, as those tend to have a different pattern and hallmark, but weird things can happen.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#25 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:56 PM

Thanks for the recommendation, David.  I will contact Gerry.  It really looks like gold - it's scratched and beat up, and the inside looks like it too. I don't know why it wouldn't be marked, though.

Regards,
Allan

#26 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:16 PM

To keep up with Allan, here's an Aust. Sheaffer I had to import from the US !!

gallery_278_28_3672.jpg

In Aust. guise these Imperial TDs are very difficult to find. Fully marked, as far as I can ascertain this would have been the top fully Aust. made Imperial in it's day as I suspect the SS TD models only carried an Aussie nib. A fairly clean example that was well priced to boot.

Regards

Hugh

Hugh Cordingley

#27 Procyon

Procyon

journeyman

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:34 AM

Great counter play there, Hugh!   Nice pen also.  My Dad loved Australia - actually thought seriously about emigrating.  He said the Aussies and Texans seemed to be an awful lot alike, and got along well.  He never got to go back though.

Edited by Procyon, 01 April 2014 - 02:36 AM.

Regards,
Allan

#28 lairddouglas

lairddouglas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:33 PM

I would be interested in whether all the nib grades were produced in Australia.  I recently purchased a trio snorkel set - FP/MP/BP.

All are imprinted made in Australia

#29 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:54 AM

I would be interested in whether all the nib grades were produced in Australia.  I recently purchased a trio snorkel set - FP/MP/BP.

All are imprinted made in Australia

I presume that's one that was on ebay? Very nice and the early BPs are very hard to find, a fairly unique set.

As I've been unable to find any documentation personal observation is the best I can offer on nibs which doesn't indicate the full range as per US Snorkels, more a basic fine,medium, broad/stub generally with slight flex compared to their US siblings with medium appearing most common. Still there could well be some "exotics" out there. Again in the general offering this also seems to be the norm.

IMG_0554.JPG?gl=AU

IMG_1446.JPG?gl=AU

Regards

Hugh

Hugh Cordingley

#30 lairddouglas

lairddouglas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:13 AM

Yes.  Twas I that purchased the Trio on the Ebay.  I am an lover of FP & BP sets.  I am also a lover of XtraFine and Accountant Sheaffer Snorkel.  I have I believe one of each USA variant of the Accountant grade.  This set has me wondering if the Accountant grade was produced in Australia (I like to use my pens - not just gaze at them)

#31 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:42 PM

I haven't seen ( or don't recall) any as fine as Accountant grade marked as Australian (they didn't carry a nib code either). There's a question mark over whether the nibs (or any nibs ) where actually made in Australia or made at Fort Madison and marked as Australian for pens assembled here to reduce import duties and probably help into the UK/Commonwealth market. In saying that in most cases the Australian marked nibs generally have a softer slightly flex feel which would have been in line with the English style that was common here so may have been specifically made for the market rather than just standard nibs stamped.

Regards

Hugh

Hugh Cordingley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users