10 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:59 AM

During our chat on Coral (orange) celluloid early Sheaffer pens, Roger posted an image of the stickered end of a Cherry Red (is that the name?) Sheaffer

Posted Image

The red Sheaffers are items of significant cachet. They are scarce. They appear in niche categories: Loaner, Secretary, Pygmy. The bright red (quite unlike the orange of Parker's "BIg Red", etc) was not used in any major series by the four other members of the "big five", though Parker's low-tier (appearing in huge color range) Moderne did see this color. The color is... fragile, subject to discoloration and to cracks. It is not easy to find clean pens. I have a largely complete collection of pens, hard fought. At least the range is relatively limited.

While I have a number of pens shot in the photo lab, showign some nice features in detail, I'll toss up this rough shot, done at one of the Syracuse Pen Club gatherings. My Sony tends to show saturated reds, so this one pops a bit.

Posted Image

regards

David

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 09 August 2010 - 03:28 PM

Whoa. How big are those big ones?

Tim
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 09 August 2010 - 07:12 PM

Whoa. How big are those big ones?

Tim

Hi Tim,

The big ones are about as big as celluloid Sheaffers grow... Senior size (often called, "oversized", by collectors). There are two large models in that quick shot: a Loaner and a Secretary. All these date to 1920's, save for the Balance pen in the image above, which is likely mid 1930's

But, uncommonly small pens have their charms. After years of hunting for clean example, i picked up this year a cherry red Pygmy set. First pencil I've seen of that sort. Celluloid box did not hurt.

Posted Image

Here's the Pygmy with the large Secretary pen. Glorious condition, both.

Posted Image

i was playing with my camera's video feature and shot this video for fun. A true dabble. Doesn't flatter the crisp pens. Not ready for prime time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyDQHPML3Hw

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#4 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 10 August 2010 - 04:06 AM

David;

You still haven't shown the ringtop Secretary.

Posted Image

And I like to compare ringtop to ringtop...

Posted Image

This is both sets, I was going to sell one but it had a flex Secretary nib...

Posted Image

Three of 'em got tags...

Posted Image

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:48 PM

David;

You still haven't shown the ringtop Secretary.

Actually, I do have one, but it is the weakest looking of my collection. Yours is better example.

But, I have some Cherry Red Sheaffer eye-candy to offer...

Here is my senior size Loaner. Great color and imprints. What is this 1926 or so?

Posted Image

regards

David

Posted Image

#6 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 11 August 2010 - 12:16 AM

This is just awesome... 'cause, you know, red is second only to blue as the coolest celluloid color.

Being a 'must be able to use it' snob, tiny pens typically don't hold my attention for long. I need at least 3-1/2 inches or so between wherever I'm holding it and the top of the pen to write comfortably. But I'd go giddy over that Pygmy set. Too cool!

I always enjoy the 'tiny vs big' shots... like a big Senior size Balance with whatever the tiniest one is called (oversize and undersize in my mind). Not sure why exactly, but it's cool. Like a picture of a bonsai next to a mature specimen tree... gives the ultimate sense of scale I suppose.

Anyway, I really love that cherry red Radite!

Tim

#7 Kirchh

Kirchh

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:02 PM

I wonder if someone with a red Pygmy would be willing to test the material to see what it might be...

--Daniel

#8 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:07 PM

I wonder if someone with a red Pygmy would be willing to test the material to see what it might be...

--Daniel

I've occasionally wondered that myself.

Maybe if we can find someone whose set is not in- truly- fantastic condition, maybe one of those pens we see at shows with cracks and discoloration and broken nibs and missing imprints... you know, one...NOT... like the truly fantastic specimen in someone's collection... ;)

Posted Image

#9 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:46 PM

--Daniel

It clearly says in the catalogue that it is "unbreakable radite". I know - what is "radite"?

Roger W.

#10 Kirchh

Kirchh

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:00 PM

It clearly says in the catalogue that it is "unbreakable radite". I know - what is "radite"?

Roger W.

Not impossible that Sheaffer, at that time, meant "whatever we're making pens out of".

--Daniel

#11 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 12 August 2010 - 03:28 PM

Not impossible that Sheaffer, at that time, meant "whatever we're making pens out of".

--Daniel

Sort of like a certain modern company's "precious resin"? Except way cooler, of course. :)

Tim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users