• 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:40 PM

...and this pure bring and brag.

It's been a good week.

Hi Blotto,

You found all those this week???

That indeed is a major score. :)

Fancy Hollands are far more rare than similar Parkers, imo, but of course there are fewer hunters. It averages out. I figure fancy Hollands hover in the price zone of fancy Parkers, such as the Parker 15, Parker 45. This is similar to chat we recently had about Wirts.

I have very few Hollands. there were couple hatchets including one with a relatively modest overlay in that "1000 pen hoard" I found Summer 2011. Nothing at this level. But, I did have the chance to photograph what likely is-- no joke-- the world's most significant Holland collection, in Ohio a few years ago. I don't want to corrupt your show n' tell, but I'd be happy to post some images, if you don't object.

regards

David

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 Blotto

Blotto

journeyman

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationNorth OC, CA

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:53 PM

I don't want to corrupt your show n' tell, but I'd be happy to post some images, if you don't object.

Object? If there is a subtext to this post, it's intended as bait for unabashed one-up-manship. Please do.

Here's a pot warmer

The pen fills by lifting the center band on the barrel. The band is attached to a ring that girds the sac. The ring is attached to a pressure bar that collapses the sac. Immerse in ink, release the band and the sack fills.

Posted Image

This pen was restored by Brian Anderson just after the Ohio show. Joel Hamilton was there at the time, and he may have had a hand in it as well. (I know they both worked on a Moore, and a Continental safety of mine at that time.) Brian was able to get the accommodation clip off the cap. The pens looks much better now. Gotta get a fresh pic.

Edited by Blotto, 23 December 2011 - 12:14 AM.

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:00 AM

I don't want to corrupt your show n' tell, but I'd be happy to post some images, if you don't object.

Object? If there is a subtext to this post, it's intended as bait and unabashed one-up-manship. Please do.

How goes that ancient Klingon saying.... be careful what you wish for... Posted Image

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:03 AM

One of the nicest grab-filler Hollands I've seen.

Posted Image

regards

David

Posted Image

#6 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 23 December 2011 - 12:05 AM

Massive Holland desk pen. Compare the nib to the m-400 size Pelikan

Posted Image

Posted Image

regards

David

Posted Image

#7 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • LocationPenguin, NW Tasmania, AUSTRALIA

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:35 AM

Object? If there is a subtext to this post, it's intended as bait and unabashed one-up-manship. Please do.

How goes that ancient Klingon saying.... be careful what you wish for... Posted Image

-d

Ah, the closest I can find for the Klingon to this is: Be careful what you long for = taH yep nuq SoH tIq vaD :huh:

Edited by FmrLEO_GJ, 24 December 2011 - 09:33 PM.

Garth
Penguin, NW Tasmania, Australia

We will be forever known by the tracks we leave behind - Sitting Bull

#8 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:37 AM

Now that I have my Klingon garb off :D all I would like to say gentlemen is that these are some of THE most beautiful pens I have laid my eyes on in a VERY L O N G time. I must now put a Holland on my wish / bucket list. :P
Garth

#9 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:21 PM

Now that I have my Klingon garb off :D all I would like to say gentlemen is that these are some of THE most beautiful pens I have laid my eyes on in a VERY L O N G time. I must now put a Holland on my wish / bucket list. :P

Let's up the ante....

Posted Image

regards

david

Posted Image

#10 Blotto

Blotto

journeyman

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationNorth OC, CA

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:37 PM

DI:
Spectacular! Got Jewels?

Posted Image

#11 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:15 PM

DI:
Spectacular! Got Jewels?

Could be...

Posted Image

regards

David

Posted Image

#12 Blotto

Blotto

journeyman

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationNorth OC, CA

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:45 PM

A full size, triple band Coral no less. Sweet.

Wanna take a swing at these hatchets?

This one with gold furniture...

Posted Image

and a nice crisp imprint.

Posted Image

This smaller one with silver,

Posted Image

#13 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:35 AM

Have been busy but with a short break just now I put into eBay the name Holland and pen, and this came up:
http://www.ebay.com....=item35b7f9012b

Posted Image

Is this indeed one of the types of pens mentioned here?
If so, is there any idea of what it should sell for? More importantly, what are they worth?
Garth

#14 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:03 PM

Holland "tree trunk".

Only one I've seen.

Posted Image

regards

David

Posted Image

#15 Blotto

Blotto

journeyman

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationNorth OC, CA

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:19 PM

Have been busy but with a short break just now I put into eBay the name Holland and pen, and this came up:

If so, is there any idea of what it should sell for? More importantly, what are they worth?

Garth:
It's a badly worn specimen with filigree detail severely softened by hard use and an undersized nib. It is already over-price. Not something you'd want to pursue...besides

It has been on my watch list for four or five days; will post a pic after it arrives.

Best,
Dan

#16 Blotto

Blotto

journeyman

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationNorth OC, CA

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:24 PM

A few more gnats for David to swat at.

A pretty little overlay ring top, unusual for it's GP section.

Posted Image

A slender taper cap secretary pen.

Posted Image

#17 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:25 PM

Posted Image

Garth,

Holland did have sterling overlays and eye dropper pens. The couple I've imaged are from what probably is the world's best Holland collection and DO have "Holland" markings on the silver. Interesting "Ledger" nib. A model/sub-brand? Or, perhaps indicating the point (as with "accountant" and other specialty points sometimes noted on nib). Too, as the shots I've done of overlays all had the pens flat, I am not certain if those overlays had silver covering entire cap top, but they might have. I'm not certain on your pen.

I will drop a note to a Holland expert who does not play much on internet pen sites to see if perhaps we can get more info.

Here is a sterling overlay Holland for comparison, though certainly different styles were done.

Posted Image

regards

David

Posted Image

#18 Blotto

Blotto

journeyman

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationNorth OC, CA

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:54 PM

I can't tell you how much I am enjoying this thread. Thank you, David. The Tree Trunk (with a Jewel nib, doesn't appear in his 1920 catalog offering of that line) is superb, and the silver filigree ain't bad either.

As for the Ledger nib, I would think it is a descriptor, indicating that the nib is Firm Fine, suitable for Journal entries.

Interesting sub set, the overlay Self-Inking pen you show in post # 9 sports Holland's patented Safety Cap while the magnificent example in post #5 does not. He apparently applied for the patent in 1910. Apart from offering a threaded, non-leaking vacuum chamber, the top of the cap has an indented opening designed the fit securely over the barrel end cap for posting.

Edited by Blotto, 24 December 2011 - 07:25 PM.

#19 FmrLEO_GJ

FmrLEO_GJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 539 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:41 PM

Thank you to both David i and Dan [Blotto] for this show and tell ;)

Quite informative and some spectacular, and varied designs from this maker. :blink:
Thanks also re the eBay auction link I put up, and looking forward to you posting photo's when it arrives to you Dan. :D
Well it's the morning of Dec 25th, and I've only been awake for about 30 minutes after a rough night sleep [for want of a better word], so off to the shower to wake myself up properly, and get my salmon fillet out of the freezer for my lunch.
Merry Xmas, Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, or Bah Humbug [that should cover about all bases]
Garth

#20 Blotto

Blotto

journeyman

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationNorth OC, CA

Posted 25 December 2011 - 12:13 AM

Merry Xmas, Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, or Bah Humbug [that should cover about all bases]

Thank you, and I hope you have a wonderful summer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users