Photo

Vintage Pocket Knife in Duofold Plastic.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:46 AM

My recent hunt for pen knives done in pen plastics continues.

This one is quite close to Parker Duofold/Parkette plastic. And, I really need to pull Deluxe Challenger and marbled Vac Junior (which can lean more fuchsia when fresh) to compare as well.

This might be a near miss. The knife shows color a bit more pink than the Duofold, although thickness of cut, shape, backing can affect hue. Still, for a few bucks, I'm not complaining.

Posted Image

regards

David
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 Bill B

Bill B

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

David,

The Duofold looks to be virtually identical to the Chilton Burgundy & Black color. The knife is a bit lighter as your comparison shows. I have also noted a great example of the Chilton "Carnelian" in the recent edition of the "Pennant". I quickly thumbed through it and didn't note what maker was featured. Anyway, good examples of how the same colors show up on different manufacturer's pens & other products.
Cheers,
Bill

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 07 January 2012 - 03:15 PM

David,

The Duofold looks to be virtually identical to the Chilton Burgundy & Black color. The knife is a bit lighter as your comparison shows. I have also noted a great example of the Chilton "Carnelian" in the recent edition of the "Pennant". I quickly thumbed through it and didn't note what maker was featured. Anyway, good examples of how the same colors show up on different manufacturer's pens & other products.
Cheers,
Bill

Hi Bill,

I owned single Chilton Burgundy/Black years ago. It indeed might be bit more pink than the Duofold plastic. Next time see a pen I will have to shoot it. Actually, there is chance I will be hitting the Jacksonville area in next few weeks.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#4 Gary

Gary

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationDublin, IN.

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:48 PM

David,
I wonder if stuff like this opens up a whole new market? I think a knife that matches a pen is as cool as... well... sliced bread or 'Mom's apple pie'. Just trying to think how the knife collectors would view something like this. Is the pen an extra part that they don't want or could it maybe lead to another collection all to it's own? I believe there would be a separate drawer all by itself in my space.
Gary

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:48 AM

David,
I wonder if stuff like this opens up a whole new market? I think a knife that matches a pen is as cool as... well... sliced bread or 'Mom's apple pie'. Just trying to think how the knife collectors would view something like this. Is the pen an extra part that they don't want or could it maybe lead to another collection all to it's own? I believe there would be a separate drawer all by itself in my space.
Gary

Hi Gary,

There are at least a few people who hunt pocket knives that match pens, noting that in most cases the matching plastic appears an incidental finding, without suggestion the knives were meant for sale with the pens.

Of late we've had couple other images posted of this sort.

Chilton Carnelian Plastic

http://fountainpenbo...g-pocket-knife/

Sheaffer WASP "Circuit Board" Plastic

http://fountainpenbo...ate-pointy-pair

Sheaffer Black and Pearl Plastic

http://fountainpenbo...matching-knife/

This does lend itself to cross pollination I agree :)

regards

David

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users