• 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:46 PM

Posted Image

Rather poor pic...but the nib reads

18ct (symbol)
Eversharp
US of America

It's a No.3 adjustable fitted to a Doric Jnr. from the mid 1930's. There is no doubt 18ct nibs can be very flexible!! Clearly for export to Europe ( this one went to Australia, strange as a 14ct would have sufficed) , anyway thought this might be of some interest and out of the ordinary. The pen has some sentimental value as it was mums ( I believe 18th b'day present).

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:33 PM

Posted Image

Rather poor pic...but the nib reads

18ct (symbol)
Eversharp
US of America

It's a No.3 adjustable fitted to a Doric Jnr. from the mid 1930's. There is no doubt 18ct nibs can be very flexible!! Clearly for export to Europe ( this one went to Australia, strange as a 14ct would have sufficed) , anyway thought this might be of some interest and out of the ordinary. The pen has some sentimental value as it was mums ( I believe 18th b'day present).

Regards
Hugh

I've never seen an 18k Wahl nib, Export variant would be fair guess. There's been lots of chatter about the "18k required to call solid gold in Europe" theme, though not clear this applies to Britain. Not clear to me either if/when the 18 requirement kicked in.

Nice find. Maybe I should look more closely at all those Wahl nibs that cross my "desk".

regards

David

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 penguinmaster

penguinmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 01:08 PM

Recently on the 'bay there is was an Eversharp Wahl "Piston Filler" with an 18 carat nib. That's what it's titled at least I can't figure the pen out myself. It looks to be an Eversharp Symphony style pen, fitted with a Parker Vacumatic type plunger on the end of it. The seller wants way more than I'm willing to spend. It shows up every now and then. Maybe I'll finally jump on it next time it comes up.

-Tom
My Site: Pens and Ink

#4 penguinmaster

penguinmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:22 PM

Speak of the devil, the pen just showed up on eBay today.

http://cgi.ebay.com/...#ht_2233wt_1343

I'm even MORE confused now. This auction finally had decent pictures. Take a look at it at tell me what you think.

I'd almost say it was a jerry-rigged symphony w/ an 18c nib. However the barrel has no lever cutout so it was made like that...

-Tom
My Site: Pens and Ink

#5 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:37 PM

Funky. Kinda has a frankenpen yet not look to it, doesn't it?

Tim
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#6 brettttt

brettttt

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSterling, Nebraska

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:41 PM

I know very little about any of this of myself, but here's an old FPN thread that seems relevant:

http://www.fountainp...arp-i-deja-vue/

Interesting that none of the pens in that thread seems as early as this Symphony-ish one on ebay. Also interesting that France seems to be a common place of origin/destination for many, at least.

FWIW,
Brett

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users