• 205 posts
  • LocationGaithersburg, Maryland

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:32 PM

Some Saturday fun.

Name that pen:

Posted Image

Marc

SPOILER ALERT: Answer at the end of the thread

Edited by marcshiman, 15 January 2012 - 08:09 AM.

Please join the Mabie Todd Swan project where I am trying to sort out the undocumented mess that is American Mabie Todd's from the 1930's. The last pens that MT seemed to advertise were the "Eternal" pens, and then the company put out a wide range of different styles, shapes, sizes and filling systems before eventually closing up shop. I invite you to post your pictures of your American pens

The Mabie Todd Swan Project

#2 vintage penman

vintage penman

journeyman

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationCambrian Mountains - Wales

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:16 PM

I have seen that material anclip style somewhere before on an Italian pen - possibly AVM, but my memory is most certainly fallible

#3 marcshiman

marcshiman

journeyman

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:50 AM

I have seen that material anclip style somewhere before on an Italian pen - possibly AVM, but my memory is most certainly fallible

Hints:

American Pen (American made)
First Tier
BIG pen
Celluloid

Please join the Mabie Todd Swan project where I am trying to sort out the undocumented mess that is American Mabie Todd's from the 1930's. The last pens that MT seemed to advertise were the "Eternal" pens, and then the company put out a wide range of different styles, shapes, sizes and filling systems before eventually closing up shop. I invite you to post your pictures of your American pens

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:23 AM

Hi Marc,

Color poses challenge because that company used quite a range of colors not seen in pens from most of the big guys. Recall some information that it made its own celluloid, also unlike most of the big guys. Assuming I have the right company. Shall I spill beans... or care to get some more votes? :)

Great pen, btw.

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#5 marcshiman

marcshiman

journeyman

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:28 AM

I believe they used this celluloid in one of their lower-end brands, although I've never personally seen it. Its a weird pen with lots of conflicts and lots of potential explanations.

Marc

#6 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:18 AM

I rule out Parker because it's a lever filler, Conklins out because of the clip, Sheaffers because they don't have any identifer on the clip, dosen't look like a Wahl......leaving Watermans...in other words I don't know!!

Regards
Hugh

Edited by Hugh, 15 January 2012 - 03:41 AM.

Hugh Cordingley

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:26 AM

I lean toward Leboeuf, as per my hints at that, above.

Clip could be right. Weird colors appear there.

There are not that many celluloid first-tier pen makes, even counting small brands, though some 2nd tier makers made occasional very high quality pens.

Carter has couple odd plastics, but clip seems wrong. Don't think I've seen Greishaber like that. Not very Chilton-like.

And so forth. Nice pen.
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#8 marcshiman

marcshiman

journeyman

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:29 AM

I lean toward Leboeuf, as per my hints at that, above.

Leboeuf is an excellent choice, the more I think about it.

Its also not correct.

The fact that it IS celluloid is meant to be a significant hint given the company's reputation.

Marc

#9 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:32 AM

Yeah, well hiding rivets would be mean ;)

d

Posted Image

#10 marcshiman

marcshiman

journeyman

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 03:33 AM

Yeah, well hiding rivets would be mean ;)

d

No rivets

Posted Image

#11 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:26 AM

how about wirt?

#12 marcshiman

marcshiman

journeyman

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:34 AM

how about wirt?

I have to admit, I know nothing about Wirt. So... based on Rick's post, I went to the 'net, and there is its - flat top, check; fat O/S celluloid pen, check; ball clip, check; two cap bands, check.

Its not a Wirt.

I hope I hid the clip well on this pen, its a dead giveaway whether you can read the imprint or not.

#13 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:47 AM

I can't imagine it is eclipse, I don't consider they fall under the first tier manufacturer.

#14 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:53 AM

I'd hate to think it is a chi lever or lever fill chilton. the cap profile and band arrangement almost fit. I honestly need more of the clip to get a shape, but the more I look, it almost has a long island chilton style clip arrangement at the top. I think I am starting to see things.

#15 marcshiman

marcshiman

journeyman

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:58 AM

Yeah, I don't consider Eclipse, Eagle, or any of the National pen brands first tier either. I actually don't think of Carters as first tier either, despite how prolific they were as ink sellers.

It seems that every major American brand I can think of has been named EXCEPT this one - maybe its just me that thinks of it as first tier. It wasn't a little boutique operation either.

#16 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:05 AM

Only others I can think of are John Holland, and Moore. I wold also argue moore as top tier, but a lot closer than eclipse. John Holland, I got to assume we would see a white crown thing above the clip...

#17 marcshiman

marcshiman

journeyman

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:17 AM

Only others I can think of are John Holland, and Moore. I wold also argue moore as top tier, but a lot closer than eclipse. John Holland, I got to assume we would see a white crown thing above the clip...

Holland - No
Moore - No
LI Chilton (any Chilton) - No

At least with the Chilton, you got the correct geographical region of manufacture.

Marc

#18 marcshiman

marcshiman

journeyman

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 05:28 AM

OK - final hint. disregard the furniture, and imagine the pen in hard rubber - red, black, mottled, woodgrain, whatever.

I'm out for a few hours, I'll post the "uncensored" pen when I get back.

#19 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:24 AM

We think we know it is not:
Parker
Waterman
Sheaffer
W-E of any sort
Chilton or related
Holland
Moore
Eclipse (and I suppose Keene)

We know it is celluloid and a big pen. We also know the company was making its own materials.

We are looking for a first tier (perhaps open to debate) manufacturer that was on the East coast of the US presumably in the late 20s early 30s and the pen has a very distinctive clip. And apparently they also made similar pens in rubber.

How about a Morrison's or Wirt? (not sure I'd consider them first tier but that is open to debate as well.)

Edited by FarmBoy, 15 January 2012 - 06:25 AM.

#20 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:32 AM

We think we know it is not:
Parker
Waterman
Sheaffer
W-E of any sort
Chilton or related
Holland
Moore
Eclipse (and I suppose Keene)

We know it is celluloid and a big pen. We also know the company was making its own materials.

We are looking for a first tier (perhaps open to debate) manufacturer that was on the East coast of the US presumably in the late 20s early 30s and the pen has a very distinctive clip. And apparently they also made similar pens in rubber.

How about a Morrison's or Wirt? (not sure I'd consider them first tier but that is open to debate as well.)

Hi Todd,

Note that we don't know the company made its own materials. I suggested the possibility as I have some recollection that LeBoeuf did that (maybe a post on Lion/Pen?), but the pen is not a Lebouef, so bets there are off.

regards

david

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users