#1 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 12 August 2010 - 11:02 PM

Posted Image

A pair of Dasi shorthand pens from the 1960's. Dasi was the first Australian pen manufacturer (1938-74) and these are basic well made piston fillers , the bottom one mint, which I paid the A$10.50 for and the seller threw the second one in (now that's a good seller!!). I believe Dasi where sold with a lifetime guarantee that is honored today by a son of one of the founder who owns "The Pen Shop" in Sydney. An interesting part of Australian pen history.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#2 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 13 August 2010 - 06:28 PM

Nice! Do I see an ink view window in the barrel? How do they write?

Tim
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#3 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 09:44 PM

Hi Tim,

Yes, both have ink-vue windows. The one I filled writes okay, the ink flow is a bit light at the moment and is an X/F which I'm not used too. It feels good in the hand, better than I had expected and better than a Sheaffer Imp. IV I was playing around with at the same time, posts securely and feels well balanced when posted.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#4 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 August 2010 - 01:23 AM

Posted Image

A pair of Dasi shorthand pens from the 1960's. Dasi was the first Australian pen manufacturer (1938-74) and these are basic well made piston fillers , the bottom one mint, which I paid the A$10.50 for and the seller threw the second one in (now that's a good seller!!). I believe Dasi where sold with a lifetime guarantee that is honored today by a son of one of the founder who owns "The Pen Shop" in Sydney. An interesting part of Australian pen history.

Regards
Hugh

First I've seen of this brand. Youmentioned "1938". Are there older style celluloid pens?

-david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#5 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 11:39 AM

First I've seen of this brand. Youmentioned "1938". Are there older style celluloid pens?

-david

My source: From Melbourne Vintage Pens

The Story of the DASI Pen CompanyAustralia's First Pen Manufacturer
1938 - 1974

The DASI Pen Company was founded by a David and a Simon, the company name being taken from the first two letters of each of their names. It started as "Casa Dasi", or the House of Dasi, in Barcelona, Spain. Alfred Wolf, who had been involved in the wholesaling of pens in Germany, joined David and Simon in Barcelona as the third partner prior to WW II. It was Alfred Wolf who set up the manufacturing for Casa Dasi. When the Spanish Civil War began in 1936, David emigrated to the USA and Simon and Alfred emigrated to Australia via Paris in 1938. Alfred Wolf commenced the manufacturing of DASI pens in a garage at his home in Bronte (suburb of Sydney).

The DASI Pen Company set up a small shop in Hunter Street from which they sold the pens they manufactured. This was called "The Pen Shop". The Pen Shop is now in O'Connell Street Sydney, and is owned by Charles Wolf (son of Alfred).

As supplies of all brands of pens and repair parts was drastically reduced by the war, there was little for The Pen Shop to sell except what the Bronte garage produced. In order to produce, it had to have raw materials and imported components that could not be made in Australia. Old records show the difficulties that arose when ships bringing materials to Australia were sunk en route. During this period, the daily production from the garage was sold to a queue of people at the shop before 11am the following morning.

In 1964 the company commenced to diversify into wholesaling. With sale of the DASI shorthand pen, and the acquisition of agencies for overseas manufacturers, the company ceased to manufacture its own product in 1974.

The above is from a leaflet prepared by Charles Wolf.

I believe pre WWII nibs where British and post sourced from Bock. When next in Sydney I'll find out from the Charles about the range made.

Regards
Hugh

mmmmh...that didn't "paste" as expected...might have to select it to read...

Adjusted for text visibility- :)

-Admin

Hugh Cordingley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users