Photo

Sheaffer Feathertouch #7 Nib and NWD Balance... Explained.

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:39 AM

Well, I've come across a circa 1933 85TC but, it has an 8 Feathertouch nib. It probably shouldn't have such a nib though it is a fairly rare nib so how did it get there? It is a DeLuxe - 14K band and clip.

Roger W.

Hi Roger,

Thanks for sharing. I'll toss couple observations.

First, no one has yet offered info on the Feathertouch #8 nib. It is a bit of a niche buster at the moment. One page of hard Sheaffer literature could explain the import of this pen, but we lack that.

Second, One post in this thread shows the pen in a non-White-Dot oversized pen, similar to the finding of the #7 Feathertouch that we now have explained, and similar to pens with the 5-30 nib in NWD OS pen that might be same niche but earlier, or might be yet another subtle tweak on the them. A FT #8 nib in a non-white-dot pen at least is consistent with Sheaffer's general use of Lifetime nibs in White Dot pens of any size, and of Feathertouch (or lower line) nibs in other Balance lines.

Third, with your Autograph white dot pen with that #8 FT nib, and with my recent find of a double cap-band (off catalogue) White Dot OS pen of that sort, we now have 2 white dot OS pens, both interesting pens (Autograph is high line+, and catalogued, the Double Band pen high line and uncatalogued) with that nib. And, while swaps are possible, unlike most swaps, we seem to know of NO pen that normally would have that nib, thus we have no obvious donor for the imagined swap.

A charming puzzle, indeed.

It leaves us with the possibility that there was a stratum of Balance that had white dot and non Lifetime (the mysterious Feathertouch #8) nib. I hardly insist, but it must be considered.

This is... fun :)

regards

david

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#42 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 02:18 AM

P1040723_zpsnmkbv3rh.jpg

#43 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 12 June 2015 - 02:43 AM

Well done, sir.

OS pen?

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#44 sloegin

sloegin

journeyman

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 02:59 AM

OS pen, yep.

#45 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:33 PM

weird, I got the same pen, non white dot, with a lifetime nib. 

Also, strange how these threads pop up like this, I just happened across (among other items...)  a green and black marble standard with a worn out feather touch 7 nib. 

I'll try to post a picture or two later. 

Rick 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users