#1 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:57 AM

Note from Ye Olde Admin.

This thread budded from an earlier thread about Sheaffer's Golf Pencil in Ebonized Pearl celluloid. The material below, focusing on period Sheaffer boxed sets containing desk and pocket pens, ink bottles and/or inkwells, certainly deserves a dedicated thread.

have at it...

Big promotion for the Ebonized Pearl Sheaffer Balance Golf Pencil.

The latest color found (?) in golf pencil, it is overwhelmingly more scarce than the other colors shown above. Not shown in the annual Sheaffer catalogues, I was happily surprised to spot it in the 1934 Sheaffer dealer brochure I recently found. Described as a utility pencil rather than golf pencil, at least in this instance, I can now consider this color golf pencil to be documented. Now if only I could find a catalogue that shows it.

What's weird is that this Sheaffer brochure has been in hobbydom for years, and no one ever volunteered in prior posts on this subject that it was shown in this brochure. I'm pleased to spread the word.

From a 1934 Sheaffer brochure

Posted Image

regards

David

I'm not sure why you aren't also touting the free desk base - these are not common at all though they are in quite a few ads.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Oh, and David - this one is NOT EVEN DOCUMENTED!!!!

Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 snorkelcc

snorkelcc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:21 PM

David;
That's a nice find. I don't see any of the bigger sets advertised with golf pencils in the early/mid 30's. One thing I had started doing to help find ads was a spreadsheet with what items were advertised. Now if I had that completed I'd be able to find this stuff almost instantly. For the ads it would make sense but, you aren't going to put everything that occurs in a brochure or a catalogue in a spreadsheet - then again, maybe you could...the endless possibilities.

Roger W.

Hi Roger,
Thanks for sharing, I always have problem in searching the content of an Ad. Currently I only sort my Ads by year but not effective, spreadsheet seems the best solution to me:) .

CC

#3 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:08 PM

CC;

This is in a couple of ads as I'm pulling this from Punch Nov. '31 also Popular Science December of that year.

Roger W.
Posted Image

#4 snorkelcc

snorkelcc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:53 PM

CC;

This is in a couple of ads as I'm pulling this from Punch Nov. '31 also Popular Science December of that year.

Roger W.
Posted Image

Hi Roger,
Yes, the Ad I have is also showing this box set but I am not sure where did the Ad come from as it come in only the loose sheet of this ad, thanks for your confirmation,

By the way, have you seen such ink well with 14K features ? I have several similar ink wells but never come across any with 14K...

CC

#5 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:11 PM

CC;

Roger W.

Hi Roger,
Yes, the Ad I have is also showing this box set but I am not sure where did the Ad come from as it come in only the loose sheet of this ad, thanks for your confirmation,

By the way, have you seen such ink well with 14K features ? I have several similar ink wells but never come across any with 14K...

CC

CC;

Yes, the X, Y, Z bottles (differing 14K arrangements) come up occasionally but, I haven't got any yet.

Roger W.

#6 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:48 AM

CC;

Roger W.
Posted Image

I'd like to "stumble' across one of those boxed sets.....that's a great ad. Roger, thanks.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#7 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:32 AM

CC;

Roger W.
Posted Image

I'd like to "stumble' across one of those boxed sets.....that's a great ad. Roger, thanks.

Regards
Hugh

Hugh;

Of the octagon set I've seen two and heard of maybe a couple more. I've never seen one EBay to the best of my recollection.

Roger W.

#8 snorkelcc

snorkelcc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:30 AM

CC;

Roger W.

Hi Roger,

CC

CC;

Yes, the X, Y, Z bottles (differing 14K arrangements) come up occasionally but, I haven't got any yet.

Roger W.

Hi Roger,
Can you tell me more about X, Y Z ? What is the difference between these bottles ?

CC

#9 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:17 PM

CC;

Roger W.

Hi Roger,

CC

CC;

Roger W.

Hi Roger,
Can you tell me more about X, Y Z ? What is the difference between these bottles ?

CC

The first traveler is advertised August 1929. "X" is a regular bottle (I was remembering a bit out of order) Skrip only in solid gold lettering is "Q". The "Y" bottle is solid gold Skrip and gold filled bands and the "Z" is the solid gold Skrip, 14K bands and gold monogram disk on the top of the bottle. The "Z" came in a genuine leather gift box with pen and pencils!

Roger W.

#10 snorkelcc

snorkelcc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:41 PM

CC;

Roger W.

Hi Roger,

CC

CC;

Roger W.

Hi Roger,

CC

The first traveler is advertised August 1929. "X" is a regular bottle (I was remembering a bit out of order) Skrip only in solid gold lettering is "Q". The "Y" bottle is solid gold Skrip and gold filled bands and the "Z" is the solid gold Skrip, 14K bands and gold monogram disk on the top of the bottle. The "Z" came in a genuine leather gift box with pen and pencils!

Roger W.

Hi Roger,
Thanks for your clarifications, I have just reviewed the 1930 Catalog, it has the descriptions of all 4 models.

Unfortunately I have only referred to the Ads on hand, which make me think only 2 types of Safety Skrip : 'Skrip' in white color and 14K 'Skrip', Bands and name plate on top...

I let go a Safety Skrip Q because it only come with 14K Skrip and I believed it should have band and name plate...:(

CC

#11 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

Hi Roger,
Thanks for your clarifications, I have just reviewed the 1930 Catalog, it has the descriptions of all 4 models.

Unfortunately I have only referred to the Ads on hand, which make me think only 2 types of Safety Skrip : 'Skrip' in white color and 14K 'Skrip', Bands and name plate on top...

I let go a Safety Skrip Q because it only come with 14K Skrip and I believed it should have band and name plate...:(

CC

CC;

I HATE THAT! There had been a couple, three simple (17's) double wide glass bases with a lamp attachment all of which I passed up because it looked kind of made up. Then I found the Sheaffer documentation on that lamp and I've never seen another since! Sometimes you just have to hope it is the real thing.

Roger W.

#12 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:20 PM

Roger W.

Roger,

This thread is wandering a bit, but X is a regular bottle with which color painted lettering? I have both white and gold paint.

Matt

#13 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:24 PM

Matt;

In 1930 Safety Skrip came in four styles. The three 14K styles above and the X was Skrip in white oil paint. By 1933, at least, the bottle was being jet lacquered and no mention of 14K gold so probably gold paint by then on the lower level sets. A 1937 ad proof still shows a boxed set with the 14K safety skrip but, it doesn't appear in any other ads after 1935. The lacquered ones I have are gold paint.

Roger W.

#14 PatM

PatM

journeyman

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:40 PM

Below is a boxed set including a Sheaffer golf pencil. This is the way I acquired it - the box a bit tattered and the pen and pencil with different clips - but these boxed sets are tough to find.

Best,
Pat

Posted Image

#15 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 04:35 PM

An ad (currently on ebay) showing both documented desk bases Roger pictured above.
Posted Image

#16 snorkelcc

snorkelcc

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:52 PM

Roger W.

Roger,

This thread is wandering a bit, but X is a regular bottle with which color painted lettering? I have both white and gold paint.

Matt

Suppose white paint bottles are more popular than those gold paint, I have 10 regular bottles, only one in gold paint (no 14K marking) :(

CC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users