12 replies to this topic

#1 Jiffypens

Jiffypens

journeyman

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:09 AM

Who's going this year?

I will be there Sunday, possibly saturday.
If anyone is interested, there is the Long Beach Veteran's stadium flea market about 20-30 minutes from the show. It's a great antique flea market!

#2 AZuniga

AZuniga

journeyman

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

Who's going this year?

If anyone is interested, there is the Long Beach Veteran's stadium flea market about 20-30 minutes from the show. It's a great antique flea market!

Thank you for the information, is the market Saturday, Sunday or both days?
Best

#3 Blotto

Blotto

journeyman

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationNorth OC, CA

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:00 PM

Who's going this year?

May drop in Thur afternoon, but definitely Fri & Sat. Hope to see you. BTW, here are the seminars:

A special feature of the LA Pen Show are seminars. There will be 8 seminars given by experts in various fields. The seminars are held on Saturday, February 18 and will be held on an hourly basis beginning at 10:00 a.m. You are welcome to attend with your paid admission to the Show.
10:00a.m.-Susan Wirth- Why Some Fountain Pens Can make Anyone's Writing Look Good Susan shows how and why using a fountain pen gives you a quality of the written line is something that you can't get any other way. Learn about the use of different nibs; italic, flexible, superfine and more!.
11:00a.m.-John Mottishaw-What makes a really good nib great. A discussion of the qualities that make a nib smooth, make it enduring, give it good ink flow, and give it character.
Noon -Chris Odgers-The Art of the Desk Set Many pen collectors think of fountain pen desk sets as large, plain slabs of marble or onyx, but there's much more to them than that. Find out how much more at this seminar.
1:00p.m.-Nancy Olson-Banking on Pens that Won't Break the Bank How to: determine quality in a lower-priced pen; find great value and enjoyment for under $200; and choose brands that offer a wide assortment of well-made pens.
2:00p.m.-Osman Sumer-Replacing the Cork Seal in Safety Pens. Ever wonder how to repair a safety pen, such as those made by Waterman or Montblanc? Expert Osman Sumer will show you how.
3:00p.m.-Sam Fiorella- Think Ink A civilized open discussion about fountain pen inks. Unravel the mystery of fountain pen ink. Drawings for free bottles of ink during the presentation!
4:00p.m.-Cliff Harrington-Collecting Safeties An overview focusing primarily on pens with disappearing nibs by Waterman, Moore, Montblanc, Wahl and L'Oro.
5:00p.m.-Saul Larner-A Pen For Every Purpose Developing passion and invigorating your senses with pen design, color and recognizing the pen that is the real you.

And, there's a PCA meet on Sat., Mar 3 at Fred Krinke's shop in Monrovia. That's always fun and might even be less expensive.

Dan

Edited by Blotto, 04 February 2012 - 08:07 PM.

#4 Jiffypens

Jiffypens

journeyman

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:14 PM

Who's going this year?

Best

Hi- Sunday morning! Posted Image

#5 AZuniga

AZuniga

journeyman

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:06 PM

Who's going this year?

Best

Hi- Sunday morning! Posted Image

Thank you... Cheers

#6 marcshiman

marcshiman

journeyman

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • LocationGaithersburg, Maryland

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:00 AM

I'll be there all four days with a table full of vintage Italian pens. Radius, Pecco, Columbus, Omas, Tibaldi, Montegrappa, Ancora, Aurora, Tabo, The King, Erclossei and some other amazing brands. I only get to pop my head up 35 days a year in the US to sell my pens (any American that's lived overseas knows the significance of their "35") and I'm really excited to go to the LA Show for the first time.

I'm totally open to trading too.

Marc

Please join the Mabie Todd Swan project where I am trying to sort out the undocumented mess that is American Mabie Todd's from the 1930's. The last pens that MT seemed to advertise were the "Eternal" pens, and then the company put out a wide range of different styles, shapes, sizes and filling systems before eventually closing up shop. I invite you to post your pictures of your American pens

The Mabie Todd Swan Project

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:05 AM

I'll be there all four days with a table full of vintage Italian pens. Radius, Pecco, Columbus, Omas, Tibaldi, Montegrappa, Ancora, Aurora, Tabo, The King, Erclossei and some other amazing brands. I only get to pop my head up 35 days a year in the US to sell my pens (any American that's lived overseas knows the significance of their "35") and I'm really excited to go to the LA Show for the first time.

I'm totally open to trading too.

Marc

Hi Marc,

While I don't plan to bring 'em, the monster hoard of 300+ modern-ish pens Paul Erano and I just grabbed has about 70 very nice Italian pens, Omas from 1980's-1990's, Delta, Aurora (some neat ones, Argentro, Demonstrator, others), Marlen, Krone and such. The Italian pens should be mentioned first in the thread on this hoard I hope to post soon (the HD videos still are cooking).

If there is anything from this era you seek that I might have... do give yell.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#8 gregamckinney

gregamckinney

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationRedmond / Kirkland, WA

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:37 AM

Liz and I will be in LA from Thursday night through Saturday morning.
Looking forward to seeing all the regulars (and the irregulars too!)

greg

#9 Greg Minuskin

Greg Minuskin

journeyman

• Members
  • 898 posts
  • LocationTustin, California USA

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:07 AM

Hi all!

Greg Minuskin here! For sure I will be there, and in full regalia too (with pens!)

I will have with me a very, very special guest; Michael Sull, Master Penman and Master Teacher of Handwriting, Engrossing, and Spencerian Script. Amazing individual. He will be at my table, selling both his book, pen holders, and doing demo's of his amazing hand/work. Look at these photos of the envelope he sent to me a few weeks ago; truly amazing!

This will be Michael's first pen show! Yeap! So lets all show him the appreciation we have for his skill, and also give him the royal treatment when it comes to the world of vintage pens, and modern ones too.

Michael will be also teaching a workshop for the California Letter and Arts Association the following weekend, which, would you believe, sold out in 2 1/2 days! Michael also will be doing a one day workshop at the Manhattan Beach Country Club on Saturday, February 18th, that I promoted on my website site a few months ago, which also sold out in a mere 5 day with 20 participants paid in advance!

Michael Sull is a legend in the pen world; often consider the "Dali Lama" of the pointed pen, and an ardent master of the Spencerian script. He has published an amazing book on handwriting, which he will have a few copies with him (coming by UPS ground to my shop early next week, heavy box!) Watching him work is like watching a Zen Master easing into a difficult, meditating pose with grace and ease!

Michael is the past president of IAMPETH, International Association of Pemanship, Engrossers, and Teachers of Handwriting (http://www.iampeth.com/)

Looking forward to see you all there and meeting Michael!

Greg Minuskin
www.gregminuskin.com
greg@gregminuskin.com

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Greg Minuskin, 11 February 2012 - 05:18 AM.

#10 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:02 AM

Well, this one is going to be my first pen show, and while I'm looking forward to the writing instruments, I'm at least as much enthused about meeting some of the people I've gotten to 'know' in the last year since taking this up. I'll be there from Friday til a bit of Sunday. Hope to meet some of you in person, and looking forward to (maybe) seeing some of Mr. Sull's artistry.

#11 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:17 PM

Hi,

I will be at the LA Show for the whole thing, arriving overnight Wed into Thurs, leaving Sunday night.

As always, I'm interested to buy nice old pens. As per my recent thread about the modern collection Paul and I bought, you know I'll put money where mouth is to buy out collections.

Drop me a note at isaacson@frontiernet.net or check the vacumania.com pen site if you'd like to chat about a collection sale.

Too, downtime at the LA Pen Show is terrific. We have a fun dinner crowd and generally, the more the merrier. I look forward to meeting Board members :)

regards

David

isaacson@frontiernet.net
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#12 Truman

Truman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:29 AM

So...to you lucky folks who attended the show, how was it? Any interesting purchases? Share the fun with those of us who couldn't be there!

#13 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 21 February 2012 - 03:43 AM

So...to you lucky folks who attended the show, how was it? Any interesting purchases? SNIP

Oh, that's going to take a bit of time...

regards

d

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users