24 replies to this topic

#21 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:16 PM

I'm a bit confused about the heritage of this pen. I just bought one in ebay.uk,

and this pen is marked Made in Usa, on nib, cap and barrel. Not sure if this is

still an issue, can't seem to find any references to the

Gold Imperial model.

Regards, Ove

Hi Ove,

Our collective knowledge on these is fairly slim, there's this topic on early Imperial TDs and this one on similiar .

Most is speculative as no known documentation ( catalogues, adverts or like) exists. We know the nib was first used in 1958 and discontinued in 1972, we know the common Imperial pens (I.II.III etc) commenced in 1961 and the Target ( same as Imp. III) in 1960. The slip cap "Golden" model is also very similiar in style to the early Skripsert cartridge pens ( there's also a model with a stainless steel cap). When I put all this together it points to these pre-dating the common Imperials and somewhere in the period 1958 to 1961. I'd speculate these at the earlier end of the dates and due to their relatively scarcity not a commercial success, a lower line range of pens being a non White Dot line. I'm guessing the name was appealing and better than "Target" so it continued in the well known Imperial range.

Regards
Hugh

Edited by Hugh, 07 April 2013 - 10:20 PM.

Hugh Cordingley

#22 Stavanger

Stavanger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

Hi Hugh,

Thank you, this was quite enlightening. I love a mystery pen model.
Will the scarcity of these pens make them more collectable, or are we
talking "best be forgotten"-scarce? Could you indicate an approximate
value, good shape, no defects? I paid £20, but have no idea if this is
a bargain or overprised.

Do you know if the nib is made of gold - mine has no marking, except for the
made in Usa? I hope the o-ring, sac and barrel seal are interchangeable
with the thin model touchdowns.

Cheers,

Ove

#23 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

You probably can't go wrong at that price. I think Kirchheimer has documentation/parts list that indicates the nibs are 9K.

Edited by matt, 08 April 2013 - 07:34 PM.

#24 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:07 PM

Hi Ove,

I'd agree with Matt re price, I haven't bought a gold cap model but paid from $14 ( for a mint chalk marked pen) to around $30 for the plastic cap ones I have plus postage to Australia which adds a fair bit. There seems little collector interest in these probably for several reasons, one being nobody knows much about them and not enough to generate interest (?). At the moment I'm thinking of these as an unusal but low value pens which is a shame as they are a nice pen to use, I've one inked at the moment and enjoy using it , and being keen on Aussie made Sheaffers adds a bit more interest to me in that some where made over here. The nib is gold , one of mine has a broken tine and it's yellow all the way through ( thanks for the 9ct bit Matt ) , and on mine the parts are all standard TD .

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#25 Stavanger

Stavanger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:59 AM

Hello again,

Great, my pen now has an identity. Sheaffers are almost non-existing here in

Norway, and the few I have accumulated are bought in the Us, and GB. I therefore have

limited knowledge of Sheaffer pens in general.

Thanks.

Ove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users