4 replies to this topic

#1 janneman

janneman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:34 AM

Hi,

Last month in Spain I saw a new type of fountain pen. It looked like a regular fountain pen with a slitted 'pen' but underneath the pen was the end of what looked like a 1mm diameter round 'felt tip' which was doing the actual writing.When the pen is empty you replace the cartridge which includes the 'felt tip' protruding under the 'pen'. The cartridges were about 6 euro each, the complete pen was about 165 euro.

I really would like to get one to see how it handles but unfortunately I forgot the brand and can't find anything on the 'net (partly because I don't have an idea of what to Google for!).

I do remember it was one of the well known brands like Parker or Lamy. I realize this type of pen is frowned upon in this community, but if anyone has a pointer of where I can find info on this new type of pen I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

jan didden

#2 vintage penman

vintage penman

journeyman

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationCambrian Mountains - Wales

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:02 AM

Hi,

Last month in Spain I saw a new type of fountain pen. It looked like a regular fountain pen with a slitted 'pen' but underneath the pen was the end of what looked like a 1mm diameter round 'felt tip' which was doing the actual writing.When the pen is empty you replace the cartridge which includes the 'felt tip' protruding under the 'pen'. The cartridges were about 6 euro each, the complete pen was about 165 euro.

I really would like to get one to see how it handles but unfortunately I forgot the brand and can't find anything on the 'net (partly because I don't have an idea of what to Google for!).

I do remember it was one of the well known brands like Parker or Lamy. I realize this type of pen is frowned upon in this community, but if anyone has a pointer of where I can find info on this new type of pen I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

jan didden

Parker are responsible for that atrocity - I'm reliably informed by a misguided owner that the thing is not that brilliant considering its price.

#3 janneman

janneman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:36 AM

Hi,

Thanks,

jan didden

Parker are responsible for that atrocity - I'm reliably informed by a misguided owner that the thing is not that brilliant considering its price.

Thanks for that. Yes, what struck me was that you pay 165 euro for what basically is a shell to hold a 6 euro cartridge, the cartridge including the 'pen'.

Nothing fancy. Probably a new marketing paradigm...

jan

#4 opus7600

opus7600

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

A review.
A second review.

#5 Mister Rios

Mister Rios

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:32 PM

These things are an abomination for people who want to be perceived as being fountain pen users by an ignorant audience, but do not have the competence to pick up a real one. There was a real poseur at a business meeting I attended a couple weeks ago, studiously making notes with one. I was using my trusty nondescript and unknown model Waterman from the early 1940s, so seeing what I thought was another real pen user at the other end of the board room table, I approached him after meeting and ask what it was and if I could try it. First off he was shocked there was a real FP in the room and a bit non-plussed, because I soon found out his pen as all about oneupmanship. It is heavy and showy. The only good thing I can say is that it is very smooth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users