14 replies to this topic

#1 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:15 AM

I never had any intention to collect Esterbrooks. These just happened to come to me in various ways. OOPS...

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 JonSzanto

JonSzanto

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:07 AM

Yeah, so, get rid of them!

#3 Frank(Federalist Pens)

Frank(Federalist Pens)

journeyman

• Members
  • 436 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey (USA)

Posted 17 April 2012 - 09:53 PM

LOL!

Yeah, Esties have a way of growing on you!! ;)

Welcome to the addiction!

Frank

"When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"  (Federalist Frank)

We sell quality, known brands at reasonable prices!!

(Use forum code "FPC" to receive an additional discount of 5%!)

http://www.federalistpensonline.com (Online Pen Store)

Like Us on Facebook!

Follow our Group(s) at Linked-In!

#4 BamaPen

BamaPen

journeyman

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:13 AM

I never look for Esties, but always find them. Picked up three in one small shop last week, a J transitional, a LJ, and a SJ.

#5 lorr1e1

lorr1e1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

I never look for Esties, but always find them. Picked up three in one small shop last week, a J transitional, a LJ, and a SJ.

I hope i find your luck, but doubt it as i live in UK. I'll have to pay about £75 for one.

#6 goldiesdad

goldiesdad

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:54 PM

That 2284 is a great writer ... Yes Estie grow on ya ... Congrats on your collection

#7 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:10 AM

That 2284 is a great writer ... Yes Estie grow on ya ... Congrats on your collection

I actually am not fond of the way the 2284 writes... and I like stubs.

#8 freddy

freddy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

I really enjoy my Esties and think they were, and are, great pens. It seems easy to put them down but I think they have a classic styling, from the Dollars and Transitionals to the J-Series and even though I have several I find I am still drawn to them when they come up for sale. There is just something about them... :)

#9 Mags

Mags

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationAjax, ON Canada

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

I have a transitional J Estie all black with a new sac. It was picked up over the internet and sold to me from a collector in Minnesota. The nib is a 9668 and is a good daily writer. The pen is not as wet as I would like and it could use a nib pinch to loosen up the ink flow but I am reluctant to tune the nib until I break it in and see if it sorts itself out with a bit of use.
Rob Maguire (Call me M or Mags) I use a fountain pen and a blackberry playbook.

#10 MCameron

MCameron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:12 AM

Esties are fun pens...everyone should have a few.

#11 alc3261

alc3261

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:02 AM

I love Esties, I'm a loaner (in the other place) and everyone who borrows one gets at least one of their own afterwards!!Esties grow on you!!

#12 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:33 AM

For those who do not normally visit the Europe forum, please note I have recently put up over there scans of a British 1936 Esterbrook Relief Christmas leaflet (pens made by Conway Stewart), this may be of interest to some reading this topic.

http://fountainpenbo...ok-advertising/

Andy

#13 Mags

Mags

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationAjax, ON Canada

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:23 PM

Thanks for the link Andy.
Rob Maguire (Call me M or Mags) I use a fountain pen and a blackberry playbook.

#14 johnmc2

johnmc2

journeyman

• Members
  • 123 posts
  • LocationNew Plymouth, New Zealand

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:23 AM

For those who do not normally visit the Europe forum, please note I have recently put up over there scans of a British 1936 Esterbrook Relief Christmas leaflet (pens made by Conway Stewart), this may be of interest to some reading this topic.

http://fountainpenbo...ok-advertising/

Andy

Hi Andy
Have a look at my gallery picture: the pencil and SJ are Made in England, the J in USA. It hasn't come out well in the photo but the English items have a slightly darker and more lustrous appearance.
Do you know if these would have been made by CS also?
I love the great variety of Esterbrook nibs and their interchangeablilty with Osmiroids. I have a 9314B in the green J and it is an absolute delight to write with.
Cheers
John

#15 AndyR

AndyR

journeyman

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:56 AM

Hi John,

You raise an interesting point and in short, I can't be absolutely certain.

I would think the answer is that they were NOT produced by CS because the styles and materials are so unlike any other CS products. CS did continue to produce Relief pens until the mid 1950s, though these later pens are just rebadged versions of their standard products.

I'm no Esterbrook expert but my thoughts are as follows. I understand the J series pens are of the 1940s - this was a time of war followed by many years of rationing and difficulties in obtaining materials in England. I would say it was much more likely that these pens were assembled in the UK from parts imported from the USA. Esterbrook & their UK distributor, Hazell, Watson & Viney did have a UK factory available at Aylesbury (facts courtesy of Steve Hull's 'English Fountain Pen Industry') and assembling the pens from parts in this country would allow them to legitimately claim that these pens were 'Made in England' which would have been especially important at that time. I also feel the same would apply to the 66 & 90 pens from the 1938 advertisement - though nothing about them has the 'feel' of a Conway Stewart product, it is still possible they could have been produced for Esterbrook by another UK manufacturer.

Andy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users