28 replies to this topic

#21 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 September 2010 - 03:27 AM

The end sticker on the greenish Pigmy may offer some indication of the degree of possible color change. The model code of the red Pigmy is RIP; BIP is the code for blue.

David;

In the case of your greenish stickered model with clearly the blue code it does look as that is a faded blue. Reppert's green on the other hand gives none of that inpression. Daniel has said that "radite" does not have to mean "celluloid". I think that may be quite correct as these pigmys are often alluded to as casein though, extensive testing is not likely to occur anytime soon. Therefore, if "radite" means "plastic" of some sorts we have no issue with the catalogue description. I don't believe Sheaffer ever says Radite equals celluloid.

Roger W.

#22 Kirchh

Kirchh

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 173 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:01 PM

Here's a composite of the non-red Pigmys shown here. I realize that lighting and white balance can have a huge effect on the color, but I offer this as food for thought about the possible green pen (rightmost in the picture):

Posted Image

As to the materials -- a few points. I have tested *a* blue Pigmy, and it is not celluloid. But that does not mean that the red pens are also not celluloid, nor that the tested blue example is casein, though that is the most likely candidate, I would think. Furthermore, it does not mean that all blue Pigmys are not celluloid; I cannot rule out a materials change at some point. I wish some other Pigmy owners would at least take a tiny interior scraping and apply a drop of acetone and report the reaction, if any (none was observed in my test of my example, shown 3rd from left above).

Sheaffer's reference in the 1928 catalog to the Pigmys being made of Radite could mean several things; that Radite = celluloid, and at that time, the pens were, indeed made of celluloid, or that the term Radite had some cachet, and Sheaffer was going to press that by using it to mean "whatever material we make pens out of," even if it was, say, casein (the power of marketing!).

As an aside, I will also point out that some examples have oversized cap vent holes, while others do not.

--Daniel

#23 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:11 PM

Here's a composite of the non-red Pigmys shown here. I realize that lighting and white balance can have a huge effect on the color, but I offer this as food for thought about the possible green pen (rightmost in the picture):

Posted Image

As to the materials -- a few points. I have tested *a* blue Pigmy, and it is not celluloid. But that does not mean that the red pens are also not celluloid, nor that the tested blue example is casein, though that is the most likely candidate, I would think. Furthermore, it does not mean that all blue Pigmys are not celluloid; I cannot rule out a materials change at some point. I wish some other Pigmy owners would at least take a tiny interior scraping and apply a drop of acetone and report the reaction, if any (none was observed in my test of my example, shown 3rd from left above).

Sheaffer's reference in the 1928 catalog to the Pigmys being made of Radite could mean several things; that Radite = celluloid, and at that time, the pens were, indeed made of celluloid, or that the term Radite had some cachet, and Sheaffer was going to press that by using it to mean "whatever material we make pens out of," even if it was, say, casein (the power of marketing!).

As an aside, I w ll also point out that some examples have oversized cap vent holes, while others do not.

--Daniel

Daniel;

I agree there are a lot of the discolored blue pigmys that have a greenish hue. There are very few of us that have handled many of these at all. I've handled quite a few and Reppert's green was born green - it didn't just discolor that way. Reppert usually has this pen with him but, unfortunately DC is past as I think that is one of the few shows you make (I only make Chicago anymore the past few years myself). Next time you run into Reppert ask him about it.

The vent holes are funny - seen a few large and a few small - with such a scarce pen you'd think there would be a bit more uniformity.

Roger W.

#24 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:11 AM

In the context of the 1928 catalog, it seems most unlikely that "Radite" means anything but celluloid.  Aside from the date, the key word is "unbreakable": an adjective commonly applied to celluloid by numerous penmakers, but never -- to my knowledge -- applied to casein plastics.

As an aside, if you've ever had the experience of working with freshly-made celluloid (vide my American Art Plastics involvement), you'll realize that "unbreakable" wasn't as hyperbolic as it might seem, eighty years on.  New celluloid is incredibly tough stuff.  And I recently became aware of documentation that the caps and barrels of certain low-end Parkers (not explicitly described, but surely the facetted Parkettes and their ilk) were formed from celluloid under pressure -- without heat or solvents!

I believe that Pigmies were made first in casein plastic and then in celluloid.  I would also be very happy to re-view Dan's green Pigmy; as noted before, when I saw it last, I was convinced that it was indeed originally green -- but it's always good to get a second look.

#25 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 September 2010 - 01:40 AM

Two examples of the model I mentioned are shown below. Note that they carry #2 nibs.

The end sticker on the greenish Pigmy may offer some indication of the degree of possible color change. The model code of the red Pigmy is RIP; BIP is the code for blue.

Note that the 1928 catalog lists the blue and red Pigmies as "unbreakable Radite". The greenish Pigmy shown above is surely casein; it is likely that the red is, too, though not 100% certain. The blue, however, appears to be celluloid.

PS Note that the spelling in Sheaffer's catalog is "Pigmy", and not "Pygmy".

Suspected when David N. cited identical lever that he wasn't referring to the typical #1-nib metal pens. Great to see those photos.

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#26 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:20 AM

I wish some other Pigmy owners would at least take a tiny interior scraping and apply a drop of acetone and report the reaction, if any (none was observed in my test of my example, shown 3rd from left above).

--Daniel

Maybe the pencil some time... eg. Philly show. You bring the acetone.

d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#27 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:22 AM

SNIP

As an aside, if you've ever had the experience of working with freshly-made celluloid (vide my American Art Plastics involvement), you'll realize that "unbreakable" wasn't as hyperbolic as it might seem, eighty years on. New celluloid is incredibly tough stuff. And I recently became aware of documentation that the caps and barrels of certain low-end Parkers (not explicitly described, but surely the facetted Parkettes and their ilk) were formed from celluloid under pressure -- without heat or solvents!

SNIP

There are facetted Parkettes?

-d

Posted Image

#28 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:39 AM

SNIP

New celluloid is incredibly tough stuff. And I recently became aware of documentation that the caps and barrels of certain low-end Parkers (not explicitly described, but surely the facetted Parkettes and their ilk) were formed from celluloid under pressure -- without heat or solvents!

The www.americanartplastics.com certainly is an engaging project to watch.

By "formed from celluloid under pressure", do you mean simply shaped (last stage), after prior synthesis and cure?

regards

David

Posted Image

#29 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 05 September 2010 - 04:02 AM

Yes, formed under pressure from blanks cut from Dupont tube stock.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users