45 replies to this topic

#41 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:00 AM

Another point of interest to me has to do with Sheaffer's apparent sub-brand pens. We have adverts or brochures for Vacuum-Fil and WASP labels, but I've never seen any advert or other literature for Sheaffer's Univer-branded pens. We tend to include it as one of the Sheaffer sub-brands, but could Univer have been an actual re-badge, made for a store? Some of them look like leftover Balance stock, just relabeled. Some look quite different from any documented Sheaffer. I've never seen a single ad or reference to that brand. They are way less common than WASP and Vacuum-Fil arguing at least for less widespread distribution. I might never know...

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#42 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:10 AM

Oh yeah. I left it out of my tirade a couple posts up one point what DOESN'T matter for a sub-brand or re-badged pen. That thing is price.

While such pens generally were less expensive than similar fully-branded pens, that was not required. Some of Sheaffer's sub-brand WASP pens, for example, cost more at the time than some Sheaffer Balance models.

regards

d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#43 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:16 AM

Hi David,

Interestingly I have a National branded combo, so National did make some pens under their own name.

Regards
Hugh

Assuming it is the same National (we can explore imprint and style)... which it probably is... then that is new info for me, and in fact makes easier assigning other labels by National to the category of sub-brand. Of course is they were sold by National itself at higher volume than the actual "national"-marked items, there are odd volumes involved compared to Parker, etc.

regards

david

Posted Image

#44 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:18 AM

Posted Image

The perviously mentioned National combo along side a another less common National brand, Gold Crown in the same plastic as Conklin used. The Gold Crown doesn't carry any barrel imprint, just the name on the clip.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#45 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:22 AM

The perviously mentioned National combo along side a another less common National brand, Gold Crown in the same plastic as Conklin used. The Gold Crown doesn't carry any barrel imprint, just the name on the clip.

Regards
Hugh

Yep. That other clip does scream "National"

regards

d

Posted Image

#46 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:24 AM

Hi David,

Interestingly I have a National branded combo, so National did make some pens under their own name.

Regards
Hugh

Assuming it is the same National (we can explore imprint and style)... which it probably is... then that is new info for me, and in fact makes easier assigning other labels by National to the category of sub-brand. Of course is they were sold by National itself at higher volume than the actual "national"-marked items, there are odd volumes involved compared to Parker, etc.

regards

david

The reality may be that National as a brand may have held the position of being a " sub brand" to it's other products!! The combo is definitely National, an early one I suspect being flat top and with a fixed pencil mechanism ( noerasor or lead holder ) as compared to the Gold Crown which has a detachable pencil with eraser and a surprisingly well balanced combo when in use.

Regards
Hugh

Edited by Hugh, 06 June 2012 - 02:27 AM.

Hugh Cordingley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users