5 replies to this topic

#1 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:37 AM

I've stumbled into some Wahl Dorics of late. While I've not been hunting them, they've turned up in a number of collections purchased. All this is raw stock. They'll look better after having been restored, with one or two clips needing a bit of work.

Still, these show why they sold back in the day :)

Posted Image

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#2 Jiffypens

Jiffypens

journeyman

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:39 AM

Beautiful Pens! This reminds me, I have a question about doric sizes:

Both are oversized, at least I think. The Red one has a normal oversized nib, but the green one has a #10 adjustable nib. Were the oversized dorics made in smaller, fatter sizes? Or is this just a smaller sized doric with a big nib in it?

Posted Image

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:50 AM

Beautiful Pens! This reminds me, I have a question about doric sizes:

Both are oversized, at least I think. The Red one has a normal oversized nib, but the green one has a #10 adjustable nib. Were the oversized dorics made in smaller, fatter sizes? Or is this just a smaller sized doric with a big nib in it?

Posted Image

Hi Gabriel,

There are a couple issues in play. Though they look to, please confirm the two caps interchange, confirming similar OS diameter for both.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#4 Jiffypens

Jiffypens

journeyman

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:05 AM

They do indeed interchange.

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:15 AM

They do indeed interchange.

The immediate predecessor (with overlap) to Doric was the Equi-Poised. OS pens could be had short and long, the long having side clip, the short having military clip. While OS Doric (first gen) did not have parallels, and while I don't follow Doric very closely, I do recall hearing of some mildly short variants. Not sure if cap and barrel both should be short or if just barrel is short (do compare both pieces on yours). Have similarly vague recollection the shorties are considered early.

That aside, the nib for OS Doric when it started was a Gold Seal about the size of prior #6. I believe the adjustable nib was intro'd before the first generation colors/sizes gave way to 2nd generation color/sizes. Thus, it should be ok to find adjustable #10 nib in first gen OS pens.

I'll ping a couple Wahlies, to see if we can get more concrete answers.

regards

d

Posted Image

#6 Wahlnut

Wahlnut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAlamo, CA

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:58 PM

Oversized "1st generation" dorics with the same girth (and other Wahl-Eversharp pens - notably the "flat top" pens) all experienced some minor variation in length within a size range. Such variations were normal on hand made pens and usually are limited to maybe 1/16". There is no documentation supporting there being 2 different length Oversized Doric pens to my knowledge. Yet they seem to exist with a variation in length of about 3/16" There re a number of variables that could account for this variation WITHOUT there being a separate "model" as the reason.

1) depth of cap and barrel threads
2) length of section
3) length and depth of inner cap

If any of the above is the cause it could be determined by:

a) measuring the barrels from rear up to where the section joins
b)measuring the section
c) counting the number of turns the cap takes to seat
d) measure the depths of inner cap to cap lip.
e) measure the barrel to cap lip when capped.

If the above reveals the reason for the length variation it will be self evident as an explanation, and if not it could be explained as a variation in (undocumented) manufacture, which I have seen before in both the OS Doric and the OS Equi-poised (non soldier clip)

Syd

Edited by Wahlnut, 05 June 2012 - 04:51 PM.

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein
Pensbury Manor
The WAHL-EVERSHARP PEN COMPANY
and Home of Pensbury Manor Black Hard Rubber Pen Potion No.9
and GREAT KNOBS! for cars

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users