• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 12:55 PM

FPB still is not open to public posts, though perhaps we will open up just the news forum for now. Still have not announced the presence of this board to the outside universe yet, but soon. The core tweaks mostly are in place, though once we have IPB programmers in place there will be modifications to come. While this somewhat bland blue IPB skin is pleasant enough, it might be nice to have a bit more of a customized look. This one caught my eye. Not yet modified for IPB 3.1.1, it might be couple months until it is available (though other nice skins are out now for the latest IPB iteration). Thought you might like to see this skin though. FPB might look nice like this, of course with a different banner at the top

Posted Image

#2 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 12:09 PM

Well, for the moment, the green/brown skin is not available for this iteration of IPBoard. However, two nice skins have been acquired, the first evoking the basic blue and white of Invision Board. Will leave this up a day or so before loading the other skin.

Hoping to open FPB to public posting within ten days.

#3 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:25 PM

I like this skin. It looks good. The green and brown looks "old" and "dated"

#4 George

George

journeyman

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:28 PM

I like this look a lot. I also agree with Rick, the green and brown look antediluvian.

Regards
George

#5 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 20 June 2010 - 09:42 PM

Hmmm... I'll have to ask my Uncle D'luvian what he thinks.

Idunno. I find the blue crisp, but as to old... well... most of the fountain pens the three of us like are old too ;)

The charm of these pro skins I guess is that they are not hard to install or to rotate. One week this, one week that.

But, this is a nice skin.

Our first thread... will have to frame it over the fireplace :P

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#6 George

George

journeyman

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:38 AM

David, you never cease to entertain me. How much do other skins resemble other fp boards on the net? That might be a large consideration in the design.

Regards
George

#7 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:00 AM

David, you never cease to entertain me. How much do other skins resemble other fp boards on the net? That might be a large consideration in the design.

Regards
George

As long as I'm holding up my end of the deal ;)

Part of the challenge on IPB skins is that some boards do not even bother to tweak the default board appearance. Blue/White thus is all over the web. The current skin you see now of course- while highly customized- pays tribute to the generic color scheme of IPB. The green/brown skin shown above, is quite different.

There are others, I'd imagine.

-d
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.

Posted Image

#8 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:13 AM

The Blue Skin referenced above is shown here. For the moment, a more neutral skin has been installed.

Blue Skin:

Posted Image

#9 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:20 AM

this latest skin isn't bad, either. Maybe do something with the stones... change them to a few chiltons overflowing...

#10 John Danza

John Danza

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 909 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:57 AM

The grey skin with the stones doesn't do anything for me. I like brighter colors, as those who have seen my shirts can attest. I agree that the standard blue looks like everything else on the web. Personally, I like the green and brown. It's got some life to it.

John Danza

"Positive attitude makes for good decisions, but bad decisions make for great stories."

6080b6b0-840c-4c9c-aea6-5fb1f5d30e96_zps

#11 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:30 PM

It is not wholly surprising that different people give aesthetic preference to different skins.

So far we are avoiding some of the really garish skins (some look like old style video games in play), but it seems unlikely any one skin will appeal to all. It might be reasonable to start out with the blue skin shown above... a tweak on a recognizable look. Skins can be cycled, though there is some risk in mixing things too much. Too, it is possible- but unclear as to whether preferable- to allow members to choose which skin is used for their own viewing, from an option list that can be provided at bottom of board.

Perhaps a few weeks with one or another look- then moving on to another- will be ideal. Who knows?

And don't even touch the "seasonal" boards lined up. "Halloween" will be fun. :lol:

#12 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:05 PM

I am, i admit, fond of the "Club" (Brown/green) skin. A warm homey look, place for collectors to gather by the fireplace with scotch, cigar, and pens.

But, I suspect there will be room to play with more than one skin.

-d

Posted Image

#13 Richard

Richard

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:14 PM

I don't like any of the skins I've seen so far. The gray is nice, but it says "Brian Eno -- New Age." Not what I think we want. The green/brown is boring. Perhaps if we had some artwork that actually reflects fountain pens...? David, where do I get a skin fileset to model from, maybe the gray one? it shouldn't be too hard to replace the existing images with something relevant.

And why don't I have an Advisor avatar? Didn't you say you'd installed them for us? :)

signature_richard.png

Click to send emailrichard@richardspens.com

#14 Sam Marshall

Sam Marshall

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMidlothian, VA

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:08 PM

I like Richard's suggestion about using topic specific artwork. David must have enough pen pix to do the board up proud.

Sam

Still working on my signature
Sam Marshall. Website (Under Construction). http://www.penchantforpens.com
Posted Image

#15 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:16 PM

I don't like any of the skins I've seen so far. The gray is nice, but it says "Brian Eno -- New Age." Not what I think we want. The green/brown is boring. Perhaps if we had some artwork that actually reflects fountain pens...? David, where do I get a skin fileset to model from, maybe the gray one? it shouldn't be too hard to replace the existing images with something relevant.

And why don't I have an Advisor avatar? Didn't you say you'd installed them for us? :)

CLUB (Green/Brown) does have some appeal. Indeed, the mini-profiles at left side of each post even have vintage style "corners" (such as once were used to hold photos in albums), and the gradients used lend a bit of 'pop' to the look.

The graphic artist who does the skins can make custom logos too, but it seemed a poor choice to hold up the coming out party for the board just to secure those. All in good time. Richard's and Aaron Svabik's websites have very nice graphics at top, and those were forwarded to the involved artist to provide some ideas. And of course, it is possible there are those who lurk here who play with logo generation too ;)

At some point, having the blue skin, Club and Stone have some pens or nib at top is the goal.

But, are all your monitors working? Gray? Seems more a taupe on the color scheme, not just flat gray for Stone.

#16 Sam Marshall

Sam Marshall

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMidlothian, VA

Posted 21 June 2010 - 09:47 PM

David,

My earlier post was from my MacBook Pro. However as you suggested, I turned off the rich text editor and this is posted from my iPad.

Sam
Sam Marshall. Website (Under Construction). http://www.penchantforpens.com
Posted Image

#17 Admin

Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 263 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:16 PM

Another shot, at higher res, of Club skin with focus on the posts. Nice gradients and "vintage" flavor.

Posted Image

#18 Rick Krantz

Rick Krantz

ADVISOR

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • LocationEphrata PA

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:33 PM

hey, use whatever you like. I will post regardless.

I figured a custom skin was to come sooner or later.

#19 Old Griz

Old Griz

journeyman

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • LocationHagerstown, MD

Posted 22 June 2010 - 11:46 AM

hey, use whatever you like.

You know he will ;) :lol: :P
Tom
Posted Image
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.

#20 Hirsch

Hirsch

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD

Posted 22 June 2010 - 08:38 PM

I like the club skin. It's a nice one to get the board started. Perhaps greater inspiration for another skin will come once posts start appearing and the personality of the board starts to take shape.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users