3 replies to this topic

#1 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:35 AM

I've had a minor interest in combos and after all the talk about National pens and Sears in a topic on this board, this turned up!!

So US $35 dollars and two weeks later it arrived in it's original case with (mostly) intact instructions.

Posted Image

This is one big combo, a full 6" capped.

Posted Image

It sports a warranted no. 8 nib, fine and extremely flexible..easily to a BBB...nice but as a leftie a bit of a waste on mePosted Image The pencil works but unlike most this doesn't have a screw off section with an eraser .

The cap has a few of the previous owners tooth marksPosted Image ..not too serious though and some discolouration as seen but not much brassing, confined to the clip and 5% to 7% at max.

These higher quality combos aren't that easy to find and this one overall rates well, as a bonus I enjoy using them especially during meetings when notes are only required spasmodically the pencil comes in handy....of course I could just use a ballpointPosted Image

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

#2 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 02 September 2010 - 12:14 AM

I've had a minor interest in combos and after all the talk about National pens and Sears in a topic on this board, this turned up!!

So US $35 dollars and two weeks later it arrived in it's original case with (mostly) intact instructions.

Posted Image

This is one big combo, a full 6" capped.

Posted Image

It sports a warranted no. 8 nib, fine and extremely flexible..easily to a BBB...nice but as a leftie a bit of a waste on mePosted Image The pencil works but unlike most this doesn't have a screw off section with an eraser .

The cap has a few of the previous owners tooth marksPosted Image ..not too serious though and some discolouration as seen but not much brassing, confined to the clip and 5% to 7% at max.

These higher quality combos aren't that easy to find and this one overall rates well, as a bonus I enjoy using them especially during meetings when notes are only required spasmodically the pencil comes in handy....of course I could just use a ballpointPosted Image

Regards
Hugh

Not too shabby. Even if no pen, the high flex big gold nib (even if "warranted") and the Box/Paper worth well more than price of entry :)

d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#3 J Appleseed

J Appleseed

greenhorn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:31 PM

Any chance we can get a better image (or transcription) of the imprint and papers? I am really curious to see how the National name is used, and if it appears on the papers. And I would really love to compare this to Diamond Medal papers from the end of the 1920s.

John

#4 Hugh

Hugh

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,878 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW, Australia

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:33 PM

Hi John,

Posted Image

Hope this is answers you questions. The other combo in the background ( a no name, v.good quality) is, I suspect, likely a National made one as well...to me looks a lot like the "Lakeside" ones. Any thought on that would be appreciated.

Regards
Hugh
Hugh Cordingley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users