• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kimsdad

kimsdad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:53 PM

Does anyone have any pictures of the pen holders?
I have two pens, but no base.
Thanks

#2 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:39 PM

I'd have guessed that if anyone knew about diverse pen sockets I'd have said you were a likely candidate, if memory serves and you are the ebay chappie by about the same name. If it were some specific Sheaffer info I could help. Do yo know the desk base collector in Ohio? Can't think of his name...last name starts with an "H"...I'll get back to you when I think of it.

Roger W.

#3 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:36 PM

I'd have guessed that if anyone knew about diverse pen sockets I'd have said you were a likely candidate, if memory serves and you are the ebay chappie by about the same name. If it were some specific Sheaffer info I could help. Do yo know the desk base collector in Ohio? Can't think of his name...last name starts with an "H"...I'll get back to you when I think of it.

Roger W.

Mike Hanson.

Very nice guy. Not as active in the hobby as he'd been ten years ago.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#4 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 06 July 2012 - 01:12 AM

Roger W.

Mike Hanson.

Very nice guy. Not as active in the hobby as he'd been ten years ago.

regards

david

That's the one!

Roger W.

#5 kimsdad

kimsdad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:00 PM

Thanks, I had not thought of Mike in years. Did a Google search and could not find any contact info.'
Yes I have quite a few desk items. Was there not some lawyer in the DC area who was going to write a book on desk sets? His name escapes me.
Was there a connection between Sager and Grieshaber?

#6 penpalace

penpalace

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:29 AM

Yes Grieshaber and Sager joined up in the 30's. I believe it was a partnership of sorts as described in a thread on one of the other boards from a Sager descendant. They shared designs in the early to mid thirties. Neither are easy pens to come by these days, there's a few of us that tend to beat each other up for them...

Stephen Mandell apparently has quite an extensive Schnell collection, I myself have never seen a complete desk set with the proper base.

#7 John Jenkins

John Jenkins

journeyman

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • LocationDallas

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:49 PM

Adding nothing, there was Pen World article on Schnell back in 1989 whose photo showed a desk pen but no base. Ditto for Fred Plewa's Pen World drawing on Schnell.

Did any manufacturer sell desk pens without a base - ie "Use our pen in your base."?
The poster formerely known as Buzz J

#8 kimsdad

kimsdad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:17 AM

I suppose Schnell might have made just the pen and no base, but seems odd. I have kind of hoped there might be some connection between Schnell and Sager et al. I picked up a sager desk pen the other day. It would be cool if all of us could contribute photos of clearly identified uncommon desk bases and have them collected in one place.
Could someone share Mike Hanson's email address?
Jim

#9 kimsdad

kimsdad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:44 AM

Steve Mandel had no information either. This is a mystery for sure.

#10 penpalace

penpalace

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:10 AM

yep, well if I do come across anything I'll be glad to post it. I saw the Sager desk pen but didn't give it a run, the last thing I need is another desk set...

#11 kimsdad

kimsdad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:41 AM

Aw c'mon, can you really ever have enough desk sets?
Gosh, I can't even find any advertising for Schnell.

#12 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:59 AM

PCA has a nice black/white brochure copy describing sizes and colors. No desk pens iirc.

regards

david
David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#13 David Nishimura

David Nishimura

journeyman

• Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

Thanks, I had not thought of Mike in years. Did a Google search and could not find any contact info.'
Yes I have quite a few desk items. Was there not some lawyer in the DC area who was going to write a book on desk sets? His name escapes me.
Was there a connection between Sager and Grieshaber?

I believe the spelling is "Hansen", not "Hanson".

If you were referring to Paul Sameth, I'm afraid he died a few years back now.

#14 Roger W.

Roger W.

ADVISOR

• Moderators
  • 944 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:43 PM

No, you can not have too many desk sets. The problem is finding them all. On my quest to find Sheaffer bases 1924-1941 I'm just a little over a third of the way there. Quite a few of the pieces in the catalogs may have been made in very limited numbers. There seems to be say 100 that are fairly common and another 50 that come up occasionally. So that means you are hit and miss on hundreds more. It is more daunting a challenge than I first imagined.

Roger W.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users