32 replies to this topic

#21 Teej47

Teej47

journeyman

• Members
  • 527 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:59 PM

I do like that reverse trim Sheaffer. Downright nifty.

Do tell what that graphic is on the Vac the others are using as a pillow...

Tim

Just dawned on me that it says "Purina".
The only sense that's common is nonsense...

#22 wekiva98

wekiva98

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

Posted 02 August 2012 - 09:52 PM

Does anyone know whether these Pontiac clips appeared on anything but standard-sized Vacs? Or whether they pop up on anything but 1937 pens?

Edited by wekiva98, 02 August 2012 - 10:06 PM.

#23 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:08 AM

I do like that reverse trim Sheaffer. Downright nifty.

Do tell what that graphic is on the Vac the others are using as a pillow...

Tim

Just dawned on me that it says "Purina".

David wrote a Vac Blog post about this pen at some point in the past: http://vacumaniablog...tic-purina.html

#24 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationLynchburg, VA

Posted 03 August 2012 - 01:39 PM

Pen arrived today. I'll forgo taking pictures, as Wekiva and David have already provided nice pictures and their pens are exactly the same as mine. The emblem is indeed gold filled, as high point brassing proves. Also, the pen is not personalized.

#25 penpalace

penpalace

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:13 PM

I've got a virtually identical Vac from '37 with the same Pontiac clip. I also have an oversize Sheaffer Balance with an Oldsmobile clip and a couple of standard Balances with Cadillac crests on the clips. (No mention of salesmen on these.) All are black. I'm betting there were a lot of customized pens that Depression-era dealers offered to good salesmen or to well-heeled buyers who dropped a lot of money on a fancy car. It would make a good subject for a Pennant or Pen World article.

Posted Image

That's an Olds clip on that OS? Darn, don't know if I sold you that pen but I did have one like it at one point and I couldn't figure out for the life of me as to what the emblem was.

#26 penpalace

penpalace

journeyman

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:18 PM

I dug up some pens that have been resting in the ol' collection a long time.

The Vac is an earlier pen than the Sheaffer. Vac appears to have the badge soldered/welded in place. For the Sheaffer the badge is crimped to clip.

There are other interesting tidbits to be noted in this image. If no one is up for ID'ing 'em, I'll toss some details out tomorrow.

Posted Image

regards

david

That picture looks like a challenge David! I'll have to see if I can take a few pics of my car emblem pens. I think I have a Cadillac, Studebaker and DeSoto

Pearce.

#27 pen-deco

pen-deco

journeyman

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:18 AM

Ebay item 141382435486

Is that a P51 master salesman? Possibly?

#28 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 28 August 2014 - 08:20 AM

Ebay item 141382435486

Is that a P51 master salesman? Possibly?

I'd go with Lions Club

#29 MxMJ

MxMJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 09:51 PM

This seems to be where all the Car company badged pens have ended up so I figured I would bump it.

I've got a new(?) one to add to the list. The pen below is on the way to me. Parker 51 DJ, appears to be a first year, with a Packard Master Salesman badge on the clip. Thought you all would find it interesting. Pics are from the seller, so not great.

gallery_12668_588_237603.jpg

gallery_12668_588_214204.jpg

#30 matt

matt

journeyman

• Members
  • 1,379 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 03:46 AM

I just noticed this thread for the first time. On that reverse trim Vac Jr pencil David posted in 2012, no one noted that the pencil is a couple years older than the 1940 Chevy imprint.

#31 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

journeyman

• Members
  • 676 posts
  • LocationSFO USA

Posted 15 November 2016 - 05:06 AM

This seems to be where all the Car company badged pens have ended up so I figured I would bump it.

I've got a new(?) one to add to the list. The pen below is on the way to me. Parker 51 DJ, appears to be a first year, with a Packard Master Salesman badge on the clip. Thought you all would find it interesting. Pics are from the seller, so not great.

gallery_12668_588_237603.jpg

gallery_12668_588_214204.jpg

Did I see this pen on eBay in the last few days?

#32 david i

david i

ADVISOR

• ADVISORS
  • 7,515 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 16 November 2016 - 02:03 AM

Nice!

-d

David R. Isaacson MD. Website: VACUMANIA.com for quality old pens with full warranty.
Email: isaacson@frontiernet.net

Posted Image

#33 MxMJ

MxMJ

journeyman

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 03:08 PM

Did I see this pen on eBay in the last few days?

Yeah, I decided against keeping it. Doesn't really fit in my collection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users